Cairns Ironman 2021

Pretty bad headwinds on the way home for BOTPers. A mate felt devastated after the ride and almost pulled out after only 8 kms on the run. Toughed it out and got through - just.

How did others find the winds ?

FM

5 hours ago, Flanman said:

Pretty bad headwinds on the way home for BOTPers. A mate felt devastated after the ride and almost pulled out after only 8 kms on the run. Toughed it out and got through - just.

FM

pretty hard. I was expecting winds from palm cove back to cairns but they were pretty much all the way from port Douglas. I know one girl broke her leg, another friend of mine pulled the pin and Scott Bayvel (pro) came off his bike as well, though unsure if it was wind related. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Flanman said:

FM

I finished 12.26. punctured on the bike. struggled the last 40k on the bike. felt okay to plod along on the run...🤪

• Like 4

The wind found out my bike weakness. Hard to replicate that on Zwift…….Neumann went sub 8/ AG winner 8.43. Those who were prepared went fast.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Prince said:

...Scott Bayvel (pro) came off his bike as well...

I'd love to know what happened to Scott. I found his YouTube channel only a few weeks ago and was pretty keen to see how he would go. He seemed pretty ambitious and his numbers on Strava are pretty impressive.

3 hours ago, BNothling said:

I'd love to know what happened to Scott. I found his YouTube channel only a few weeks ago and was pretty keen to see how he would go. He seemed pretty ambitious and his numbers on Strava are pretty impressive.

on his latest utube video, he said he crashed but doesn't remember how, which is pretty strange. It was around the 75km mark. He doesn't seem too physically injured. I am pretty sure he was coming 3rd or 4th on the bike when i saw him. There were some pretty decent contenders in the race though and for the winner to go sub 8 in time conditions, is pretty impressive.  

6 hours ago, Prince said:

on his latest utube video, he said he crashed but doesn't remember how, which is pretty strange. It was around the 75km mark. He doesn't seem too physically injured. I am pretty sure he was coming 3rd or 4th on the bike when i saw him. There were some pretty decent contenders in the race though and for the winner to go sub 8 in time conditions, is pretty impressive.  

I saw that he doesn't have too much damage. Hard to speculate on that though because it could have either happened at low speed or just crashed in a way that he didn't do much damage to himself. It does seem a bit strange to not remember though. 

I wonder if it was "it all happened so fast that I don't know what happened" or "I blacked out a bit and woke up in a ditch".