Heart Rate Question

I was talking to a friend after Port Stephens Tri. He experienced a heart rate issue after the race. I was wondering if anyone has experienced the below. 

He raced HR and sat on approx 150bpm for the entire race. No spikes or anything. He finished the race, sore but ok. Rested and watched the other races for about an hour. From there he went back to his car. he left his monitor on.

After he got to his car, he noticed his HR started to spike up, between 170 to 180  this lasted for about 20 minutes staying high. Not dizzy, pain or feeling sick but could feel a bit of flutter. He sat all the time. He started to think he might drive to the hospital. Then all of a sudden, it dropped down  to 80s and 70s. 

I did a bit of reading last night and found a medical article re the body trying to get rid of lactic and beating high. This is after over exercising has stopped. 

Has anyone heard or experienced this ?

Ta

FM 

I'm no expert but that sounds suspiciously like Afib (Atrial Fibrillation)

Definitely would go have a cardiac assessment.

• Like 1

AF is definitely a possibility, but I'd want to eliminate the likelihood that the HRM wasn't just throwing a tanty as well. During a run mine has certainly spent 15 minutes twenty beats above my perceived effort, only to miraculously drop back to where it should be.

Has he ever experienced anything like that before?

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

could feel a bit of flutter. 

I did a bit of reading last night and found a medical article re the body trying to get rid of lactic and beating high. This is after over exercising has stopped. 

I don't really understand how that would work with regards to physiology. Mildly elevated HR makes send but not 170-180. Not much lactate hanging around 1 hour after an endurance race.

The sensation of flutter is important, if that wasn't there it would be less concerning

40 minutes ago, trickle said:

I'm no expert but that sounds suspiciously like Afib (Atrial Fibrillation)

Definitely would go have a cardiac assessment.

Yes, needs a workup. Common in endurance athletes.

• Like 1

agree with suspect heart rate strap. Particularly in cold weather it will play up. If my HR shows a high reading, I instantly do a 10 sec count on pulse to double check. 

• Like 1

Agree it's possible to be suspect HR, but the feeling of flutter and a bit not great is worth checking out.

Often worth doing a quick wrist HR check as well if you're worried about the HRM - we've family history of tachycardia, AFib, etc, so I very occasionally need to check - HR gets very high for PE, things feel a bit like when you've had far too much coffee, and yep, feels a bit hummingbird like.

Interestingly (mine) doesn't tend to show in ECG or cardiac scan at rest. Whereas my brother and father  and uncle who've had the AV re-entrant tachycardia (and the dual nerve lasered out) and AFib do show at rest (or did before the ablation)

Mine used to 'flutter' regularly (felt like heart had stopped momentarily and a big air bubble was passing through)  when I did IM type training (i.e. large volumes).  It mainly did that at rest, but sometimes when training.  Now I do at least 50% less volume, this has largely disappeared.  At the time it was diagnosed as 'athletes heart' (enlargement of heart = interferes with electrical signals).  But my HR never spiked.  Low 160's is pretty much my max in training these days, and I only hit that on the MTB.

My wife's spikes a lot into the 170-180s, but not at rest.  At rest she also feels funny beats sometimes (is that a flutter?).  Cardiologist was sure she had a blockage but no.  She does have a mitral valve problem however (leakage & backflow). At this time, they are saying not bad enough to need surgery.

She still out-rode me at Byron 😥

Whatever the actual cause, anecdotally I have seen HR is often higher in the aftermath of a really solid hit out - especially the longer stuff.  Some short fast runs, say a park run or something, you might see an additional 10 or even 20 BPM above where it would normally sit.  The only thing I can take away from that is maybe it is nature's way of telling you to take a break and rest up.

14 hours ago, Flanman said:

I was talking to a friend after Port Stephens Tri. He experienced a heart rate issue after the race. I was wondering if anyone has experienced the below. 

He raced HR and sat on approx 150bpm for the entire race. No spikes or anything. He finished the race, sore but ok. Rested and watched the other races for about an hour. From there he went back to his car. he left his monitor on.

After he got to his car, he noticed his HR started to spike up, between 170 to 180  this lasted for about 20 minutes staying high. Not dizzy, pain or feeling sick but could feel a bit of flutter. He sat all the time. He started to think he might drive to the hospital. Then all of a sudden, it dropped down  to 80s and 70s. 

Ta

FM 

I had similar one year after Ironman in Forster. Finished feeling fine (exhausted but fine) :lol:  Had a massage, got changed and headed into the food tent for some icecream. While sitting with my mate he looked at me and asked if I was ok as I looked flush. Checked my Polar (ah the old days) and HR was back up around 120-130 while I was sitting done eating.  

Heading back into medical and Dr Ferris looked after me. Was diagnosed with SVT (I think it was). He asked if I wanted to wait till he got an injection from the hospital or I could try another remedy. The other remedy was to sit up hold my nose, close my mouth and blow as hard as I could. (Valsalva maneuverer) Took about three or four goes and thought I was going to pass out but it did reset. After that I was fine and good to go. 

It is just some sort of short circuit that the valsalve resets I think. 

Anyway no ongoing issues after that. 

My lived experience makes me think this is either svt or afrib.

either way I’d be seeing the best cardiologist he could afford.

I posted about svt a few yrs ago. Racing od or long & hard sessions; went from anaerobic threshold to 170 ( coincidently max theoretical hr) . Backing off brought it down. Doesn’t happen ant any other time.

‘even training and racing a him in 2019 didn’t bring about any event.

normal stress tests indicate I do not have a mechanical or electrical issue. But that’s good place to start and to have tested regularly imho.

On my first consult with the cardiologist; he wasn’t convinced it was classical svt. He needs more data currently working with my cardiologist to gather more info and to investigate my loss of consciousness acco.

cautionary note ; first cardiologist I saw was happy to have under go svt ablation operation...... 

2 hours ago, workinglikeadog said:

cautionary note ; first cardiologist I saw was happy to have under go svt ablation operation...... 

I had the ablation - FWIW it wasn't always just a high HR (although it was at times) it was more of an irregular HR - like a beat starts before the last one finished or a big/erratic gap between bits  Very unscientific but, It can feel like a bit of a deep solid thud in your chest if your heart waits a second longer to beat and, by that time there is more blood in the chambers and it has to do a big pump to deal with the volume. Kinda like the cardiac equivalent of biting off more than you can chew....

Also, can simply make you feel sh1thouse when you are exercising, like your HR is at 150 but feels like you are doing 180 and totally out of breath - all due, as I understand it, to the lack of pumping efficiency due to the irregular HR and your O2 take-up is less than it should be.

Maybe he realised he dropped about 3k to do a triathlon, got a shit time and didn’t know how to tell his partner and his HR skyrocketed 

Flanman, that sounds soo familiar.

I would say faulty HR strap is very unlikely - as an athlete you know when you heart is not doing what you expect.

I am having my second ablation next week..... 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/06/2021 at 9:08 PM, Flanman said:

Pete/Steno, the thing is he doesn't have an electrical problem. Steno, best of luck with your ablation.

FM

Out of interest, how does he know this? I was in sinus at all times… other than when I was having an episode.

And needed every bit of that luck… the high level summary, I watched myself die on the ward. Fair bit of intervention, emergency surgery and a few days in ICU and here I am…

If they do the surgery, make sure they don’t put a hole in your heart by accident….

Edited by Steno
  • Confused 1

Same here…. Nothing ever showed up.

If it happens more and he is in a financial position, could get one of these

https://www.alivetec.com/products/alivecor-kardia-mobile-ecg-for-iphone-and-android-free-express-post

It captures what is going on in the moment and creates a PDF which you can email cardiologist. Then they can have a look and see exactly what is happening. 

(Clearly if has only happened the one time it is overkill).

Edited by Steno
  • Like 1