Thermomix. Model? Thoughts?

We have 1- 5 years old. Use it 2-3 times a day, soups, sauces, baking mixtures, smoothies etc etc . Highly recommend - are they worth the money? Absolutely - if you have NOT bought everything else (mixers etc) first. 

Edited by Bosco

Might sound like obvious advice but get one that doesn't blow up.  Apparently some of them are prone to blowing their lids off and spewing hot stuff everywhere with the result being some serious burns.

4 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

Might sound like obvious advice but get one that doesn't blow up.  Apparently some of them are prone to blowing their lids off and spewing hot stuff everywhere with the result being some serious burns.

Has this happened with yours?

19 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

You can cook soups in them and the instructions are very specific for quantities (it has a inbuilt scale).

I think some people ignored this and would fill it to the top and then get shocked when they select blend and the hot soup flies everywhere 

The newer models lock the lids down to help prevent people being stupid 

Edited by more
30 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

No I dont have one but ACCC fined the company because of them.

Okay so my question isn’t for you. It was for people that own and use them 

Use it nearly daily. Today I used it twice, to make holindaise sauce for breaky and then tonight tacos-instead of 500gms of mince I used 250gms and blended up a heap of broccoli in the thermo.

Mixed it in with the mince and the kids didn't have a clue. Also good for soups, especially when you are tired or want something healthy-chuck a heap of veggies in the thermo with some stock, sit down for 30mins while it cooks, select blitz to puree it, serve and again tastes awesome and kids have no idea they are eating veggies. 

Oh also things like creme brulee-can be very hit and miss making it the 'proper' way, thermo is basically fool proof. Also maionaise is fool proof. 

Basically stuff that is a pain in the arse normally a kid could do with the thermo. I thought it would be a waste of money but use it heaps. 

Had one since 2013- wife uses it nearly every day.  Worth it? Yes I would say so.  We don’t cook meals in it as I when we tried it for meals it just wasn’t quite how we like our meals.

10 hours ago, Peter said:

Okay so my question isn’t for you. It was for people that own and use them 

Think of it as a public service announcement.  The lid and burning problem was quite well known; I certainly knew of it.  Though I never knew the specifics cause (if from overfilling, then it's a user error issue the company may have ended up making modifications to protect from.  Gotta allow for stupid this day and she).

31 minutes ago, goughy said:

Think of it as a public service announcement.  The lid and burning problem was quite well known; I certainly knew of it.  Though I never knew the specifics cause (if from overfilling, then it's a user error issue the company may have ended up making modifications to protect from.  Gotta allow for stupid this day and she).

Yep, need to protect morons from being morons... 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

• Like 1

We have a TM6, approx 18 months / 2 years old.

Its gets a flogging and gets used multiple times a day. When we moved into the van fulltime 12 months ago its the only appliance we brought with us.  Currently installing an inverter so we can use it when we are off grid (blending etc only, not cooking as it will chew too much juice).

Highly recommend.

Got a cheap kogan one a few years ago to see if my wife would use it before splashing out on a real Thermomix. She has used it once in 5 years. I use it a fair bit but mainly for quick prepping stuff to be cooked via other methods but I find it all a bit of a faff to be honest and I definitely wouldn't pay for a Thermomix when there are so many alternatives around.

Also search Gumtree or the Thermomix FB groups for second hand deals as there seems to be a lot of upgrade-itis among owners so could find one that hasnt been used much for cheap.. 

We have a TM 5-1. It’s used at least once a day. We had never had a juicer or mixer so it wasn’t replacing those (I think this forms part of the value equation).

Ours was a reduced price upgrade from the “ACCC model”. It’s seal wasn’t integrated into the lid which created part of the splash issue. It also now doesn’t let you open it immediately after it finishes cooking or mixing now. I think the design issues are rectified.

On 09/05/2021 at 7:35 PM, -- AJ -- said:

Yeah, I put a liter of brake fluid and a couple of hundred grams of pool chlorine in mine and and, yeah, it like, blew up! 

• Haha 3