This Saturday? Next Saturday?

This is the serious shit here!  My wife is feeling well enough now to go back to our hairdresser.  So I messaged her to let us know when she could fit us in.  She said "would next Saturday me ok?".

So when Rob got up, I asked her if next Saturday would be fine for a haircut?  And she responded, you mean tomorrow?  I said no, next Saturday, not this Saturday!  And she said this Saturday is the next Saturday!

I need a win!!  Who is right?  It's our own little "who's on first?"

Edited by goughy
  • Haha 2

as of today next sat would be 15th May, this sat is the 8th May.  if it was earlier in the week then she is correct.   its all about timing..........good luck with the win 😂

• Like 1
Just now, Blobby said:

as of today next sat would be 15th May, this sat is the 8th May.  if it was earlier in the week then she is correct.   its all about timing..........good luck with the win 😂

Yep 100% agree and have the same fight with my Mrs often. 

58 minutes ago, Blobby said:

So if I asked this on Monday, she would be right?  But if on Monday, next Saturday is this Saturday, does that mean this Saturday is Saturday past?

• Confused 1
13 minutes ago, goughy said:

So if I asked this on Monday, she would be right?  But if on Monday, next Saturday is this Saturday, does that mean this Saturday is Saturday past?

NO I think it derives  from people saying "this coming Saturday" , so "this Saturday" is always the one coming up, next Saturday is the next one after that. 

Delusional: The condition the long term married male finds themselves in when they think they might have a chance of winning an argument against their wife

It doesn't matter if you are right, she has won this one.  Alternatively you have won this one, which means you will lose out anyway.  Take the loss now, or later when it matters - your choice

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do you think I would have posted about this if there was any chance at all she might have seen this thread!!!!  

• Haha 1
On 07/05/2021 at 12:58 PM, goughy said:

I said no, next Saturday, not this Saturday!  And she said this Saturday is the next Saturday!

This Saturday is this coming Saturday. 

Next Saturday is "the next Saturday" - which needs context. 

If I say I'm having a tooth out on Monday the 8th, so won't be up for a ride until the next Saturday...... thats the context. 

I think by common laziness, we dropped the "the"

You're wrong!!

Doesn't matter which side of the fence you sit on Goughy............just accept that you are wrong and move on!! ;)

On 07/05/2021 at 12:58 PM, goughy said:

I need a win!!  Who is right? 

No matter how right you are and how wrong she is,  you will never ever be right and she will never be wrong.

Perfect example

Couple of weeks ago, Mrs Aj and I went and looked at some display homes.  On the way home and well after lunchtime we decide to grab a coffee and toasted sandwich from the nearest McCafe (which we passed on the way there).  As we drove back down the main road she was absolutely adamant that I'd taken a wrong turn and wasn't going anywhere near the right direction. Not knowing the area, I was simply following the GPS which has rarely led me astray.   

So we chuck a u-turn at a roundabout and head back to the display village where she points me down a road which she insisted was the correct road....which went 150m, around a corner and came to a dead end. Obviously that wasn't the way we arrived.  U-turn again, get back to the main road and just decided to follow it out.   Went straight ahead at the roundabout where we did the original U-turn and there right in front of us was the Maccas.  

And she still insisted I was wrong.

It's made worse as she is much like her father, so she's never wrong!  But don't tell her I said that...... it would cost our marriage!

1 minute ago, goughy said:

It's made worse as she is much like her father, so she's never wrong!  But don't tell her I said that...... it would cost our marriage!

Even if we did tell her.  She just knows you're wrong.  And even if you said she's nothing like her father...you're still wrong.

Mines Dutch too, or at least her parents are!  So we're feeling each other.

My wife's father has one relative, one of his brothers, also living in Australia.  Most of the time very close (geographically) to each other.  They had a falling out and for over 30 years have only seen one another when one of their other relatives comes to visit.  We were married before I even found out she had an uncle, aunty, and two cousins living literally around the corner!

As at today's date, this Saturday is the 15th, next Saturday is the 22nd. 

Stikman and I discuss this regularly also.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

I'm with Katz...  But I'd probably say Saturday week to clarify things...

Another one is, when does "afternoon" stop and "evening" begin?  5pm is the cutover for me

And why is midnight called mid might when 1 minute later it’s morning, it should be called mid dark..

9 minutes ago, roxii said:

And why is midnight called mid might

Because when my kids start yahooing and carrying on  while playing games, I can yell out "Don't you blokes know its the middle of the night.  Some people are trying to sleep."  which over time got shortened to "it s midnight...shutup"

24 minutes ago, roxii said:

And why is midnight called mid might when 1 minute later it’s morning, it should be called mid dark..

I have always struggled with midnight and noon and which is AM and which is PM!

52 minutes ago, Toolish said:

I have always struggled with midnight and noon and which is AM and which is PM!

Neither. Noon is noon. 11:59 is am and 12:01 is pm. It is all to do with the Latin language.

7 minutes ago, more said:

So what's 12:00?

In the middle of the day it is noon. In the middle of the night, it is midnight.

When you research it, then there is a lot of Latin definitions and arguments about what it right and wrong. See below an extract from Wikipedia:

It is not always clear what times "12:00 a.m." and "12:00 p.m." denote. From the Latin words meridies (midday), ante (before) and post (after), the term ante meridiem (a.m.) means before midday and post meridiem (p.m.) means after midday. Since "noon" (midday, meridies (m.)) is neither before nor after itself, the terms a.m. and p.m. do not apply.[2] Although "12 m." was suggested as a way to indicate noon, this is seldom done[20] and also does not resolve the question of how to indicate midnight.

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language states "By convention, 12 AM denotes midnight and 12 PM denotes noon. Because of the potential for confusion, it is advisable to use 12 noon and 12 midnight."[24]

Two thoughts....

"Next" Saturday is dependent on how long it's been since "Last" Saturday...

Or

Once the new week starts on a Monday, the Saturday included in that calendar week becomes "This" Saturday as it is part of "This" week. The Saturday in the following calendar week becomes "Next" Saturday as at is part of "Next" week.

Edited by Froudie