Jump to content

WTF: Ridiculous prices being charged for stuff


Recommended Posts

Those of you who arn't into the 4WD/Camping scene probably arn't aware just how bad prices are getting for stuff.  Thanks to covid and the lack of OS travel, it seems every man and his staffie has decided to explore Australia instead.  As as result prices for 2nd hand 4WDs and caravans are starting to make Sydney house prices look sensible.  Got friends who recently ordered a new van have just been told delivery is late this year at best but more likely next February/March.  

But I've just discovered the greatest pisstake ever.  Yeti have announced the new Yeti V Series Hard cooler is to retail for $1200.  Not a bad price for an esky.

The details

Some of the prices for 12v aux power systems arn't much better.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

1st world problem and all that, but try and get hold of a graphics card for a PC at the moment - mine blew up a few months back, and I needed to rummage through an old parts bin to get out of trouble, because I simply couldn't buy one.

Between chip/production shortages caused by covid, scalpers buying all available product using bots, and bitcoin miners desperate for GPUs - even if you can manage to find one, the prices being asked are stupid. New stock is being auctioned by scalpers at 20 times RRP, because bit-coin miners can make that in a few weeks and will outbid anyone, and 2nd-hand 5YO cards going for 10 times their original price... it's just crazy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a major issue with the automotive industry and chips. A guy on TTUK has bought what seems like the last new Transit van van in the country to have converted into a camper. (the conversion company bought it).

You can get camping stuff here now but I think peak craziness hit last year but we are heading into summer, so who knows?

I bought a new Torq 8ft board in a quite a sought after style, paid about £150 more than normal for it as it seemed to be last one I could get.  I spent £850 in the surf shop that day and got a ver minimal discount because they simply could not replace what they were selling.

You still can't get the board I have and I was made to drive about 150 miles each way to get it. Reason being that they wouldn't deliver it, citing that it was too risky because if it was damaged in transit, they'd have no way of replacing it for me via a claim and a refund did them or me no good at all. ( lose/lose).

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Yogi Bearista said:

1st world problem and all that, but try and get hold of a graphics card for a PC at the moment - mine blew up a few months back, and I needed to rummage through an old parts bin to get out of trouble, because I simply couldn't buy one.

Between chip/production shortages caused by covid, scalpers buying all available product using bots, and bitcoin miners desperate for GPUs - even if you can manage to find one, the prices being asked are stupid. New stock is being auctioned by scalpers at 20 times RRP, because bit-coin miners can make that in a few weeks and will outbid anyone, and 2nd-hand 5YO cards going for 10 times their original price... it's just crazy.

Yeah it's ironic that Tesla made $101m profit from Bitcoin whilst at the same time promoting an environmentally friendly car!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, -- AJ -- said:

Those of you who arn't into the 4WD/Camping scene probably arn't aware just how bad prices are getting for stuff.  Thanks to covid and the lack of OS travel, it seems every man and his staffie has decided to explore Australia instead.  As as result prices for 2nd hand 4WDs and caravans are starting to make Sydney house prices look sensible.  Got friends who recently ordered a new van have just been told delivery is late this year at best but more likely next February/March.  

But I've just discovered the greatest pisstake ever.  Yeti have announced the new Yeti V Series Hard cooler is to retail for $1200.  Not a bad price for an esky.

The details

Some of the prices for 12v aux power systems arn't much better.  

the $40 stubby holder is crazy. 

If you need a stubby holder to keep your beer cold for that long, you're doing it wrong. 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FatPom said:

Yeah it's ironic that Tesla made $101m profit from Bitcoin whilst at the same time promoting an environmentally friendly car!

99.999% of companies are driven purely by profit no matter what spin they churn out. If it was profitable to belt baby seals with orphaned children dressed in panda fur and the money outweighed the outrage there would be babysealbelters.com

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Turts said:

the $40 stubby holder is crazy. 

If you need a stubby holder to keep your beer cold for that long, you're doing it wrong. 

I happen to agree on both counts.  $10 is my limit when buying stubbie holders.

But to be fair, some would say spending $5+K on a pushbike is crazy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I quoted a job for a customer recently, who'd previously gotten a price from another business who's built themselves a reputation over the last few years, but as I found out a couple of days ago, hasn't ever actually covered a piece of furniture themselves and has no decorating background either.  Their labour price was $8k higher than mine (triple mine).  I really need to start getting driven by profit.  My shrink said I need to value myself more, and charge accordingly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, goughy said:

I quoted a job for a customer recently, who'd previously gotten a price from another business who's built themselves a reputation over the last few years, but as I found out a couple of days ago, hasn't ever actually covered a piece of furniture themselves and has no decorating background either.  Their labour price was $8k higher than mine (triple mine).  I really need to start getting driven by profit.  My shrink said I need to value myself more, and charge accordingly.

Quote often I will avoid the cheaper quotes as I expect them to be inferior quality. I'm sure many others are the same.. 

So in other words don't be scared to charge top dollar for high quality. You might even find you get more business 

Edited by more
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, goughy said:

I quoted a job for a customer recently, who'd previously gotten a price from another business who's built themselves a reputation over the last few years, but as I found out a couple of days ago, hasn't ever actually covered a piece of furniture themselves and has no decorating background either.  Their labour price was $8k higher than mine (triple mine).  I really need to start getting driven by profit.  My shrink said I need to value myself more, and charge accordingly.

We value you Goughy. 😊

Link to post
Share on other sites

Prices across the board have gone silly, that's if you are lucky that what you want is available. Set up the home gym last year - thankfully Sam's Fitness I bought it all through didn't price gouge but look 6 months to restock.

Just had one of my cars reassessed and they increased the agreed value by $30K! The way things are going I will need to repeat in a few months.

Looks like everyone who normally drop $$$ on overseas holidays are buying toys. Since interest rates are so low, better return from classic cars than putting it into the bank!

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's crazy. I could get more now for my dual cab ute than what I paid for it.  Admittedly I have shelled out a shedload for all of the aftermarket extras, but nonetheless its 4.5 years old with 57k on the clock

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Ayto said:

It's crazy. I could get more now for my dual cab ute than what I paid for it.  Admittedly I have shelled out a shedload for all of the aftermarket extras, but nonetheless its 4.5 years old with 57k on the clock

There are stories going around the Pajero community that people are asking for and getting obscene amounts of money for 2020+ model Pajeros.  Similar thing happening with the last of V8 200 series landcruisers.  Can't get them without shelling out a fortune or selling your first born..  

Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I would like to take advantage and start from scratch, I would still be significantly out of pocket for what I have spent on the thing.

The other thing is that I wouldn't replace like for like. If I was going to do so I's take the step up to the RAM / Silverado / F Truck etc to make it worthwhile.
 

It would also cost me a marriage, so might just stick with what I have got - ute and wife 😝

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ayto said:

It's crazy. I could get more now for my dual cab ute than what I paid for it.  

I'm the same, I've had my ute for 4 years, put 90K on the clock and currently trade in value is $5K more than what I paid for it - private sales are asking $10K more with higher kms.  Very tempted to trade in on the new Isuzu ute, but really want to pass this one onto my son in a few years time as his first car.  

Someone said to me early in the piece the only way governments get them out of the debt they are going into is through inflation.  Even before the supply issues I got in early to upgrade my wife's car getting a 2 year old Prado.  10 months later we see the same model now going for up to $10K more for similar Ks.

Lower end caravans seem to still have some value around, we sold our caravan we had outgrown (Goldstream Goldwing) start of the year thinking we might get more for it, sold with not much interest for a fair price.  Currently in the market for a bigger 10-12 year old model and the prices are quite reasonable (eg Jayco expander 2008 models aplenty at $23K) - finding Qld has quite a lot of stock so looking like a trip up there in a few months time to find the right one and bring it back.  Once you go $30K+ on asking price you get less value and long wait times for new stock

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...