Hi 

it’s been a while since I have been out riding to Brisbane airport but can anyone tell me if the road around Pinkenba to Luggage Point is pretty quiet on a Saturday morning as I am trying to find somewhere near the Northside where I can do some decent 15 minute efforts without any traffic lights etc. 

5 minutes ago, Prince said:

Hi 

it’s been a while since I have been out riding to Brisbane airport but can anyone tell me if the road around Pinkenba to Luggage Point is pretty quiet on a Saturday morning as I am trying to find somewhere near the Northside where I can do some decent 15 minute efforts without any traffic lights etc. 

I'd just ride from Nundah crit track heading towards Redcliffe alongside the freeway - I'd guess you could probably do 20-30 mins each way along there with no stops.  Better than riding around on the roads when you want to do efforts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What truck said. The new bike path there is wide and you can easily cycling on stop from the crit track out to deagon without stopping.

alternatively just go to the crit track or ride to nudgee beach 

• Thanks 1

I'll support the path north as well. 

The road around towards Luggage Point looks alright on paper, but the bitumen around near the Qantas facility is pretty bad. 

• Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, truck said:

Need something to do afterwards.....

Come to think of it, the time of year reminds me that the importance of doing Coot-tha repeats in the rain came up in the context of a drizzly Anzac Day weekend.

On 25/04/2021 at 4:49 PM, truck said:

I'd just ride from Nundah crit track heading towards Redcliffe alongside the freeway - I'd guess you could probably do 20-30 mins each way along there with no stops.  Better than riding around on the roads when you want to do efforts

I haven't done the airport route and have always been curious. Personally I find the bike path from Nundah to Redcliffe a bit challenging to clock a high speed, due to the winding sections especially at the start.

I've done a 90km ride on the corso (17 laps) a few times now - yes, there is a bit of a brief break at the turnaround loop around the playground but I find my efforts are a lot more consistent compared to doing the North bike path.

3 hours ago, k3vski said:

I haven't done the airport route and have always been curious. Personally I find the bike path from Nundah to Redcliffe a bit challenging to clock a high speed, due to the winding sections especially at the start.

I've done a 90km ride on the corso (17 laps) a few times now - yes, there is a bit of a brief break at the turnaround loop around the playground but I find my efforts are a lot more consistent compared to doing the North bike path.

Hope that wasn't you doing Corso repeats this morning on your black time trial bike with black kit and no lights between 5:30 and 6:00am.....

10 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Hope that wasn't you doing Corso repeats this morning on your black time trial bike with black kit and no lights between 5:30 and 6:00am.....

Nope, I rode Sunday and yes I had my lights on 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, k3vski said:

Nope, I rode Sunday and yes I had my lights on 

Haha. I think I saw you. My tri club was doing a bunchie River Loop and they stopped for coffee at the little van. If you were wearing your Logan gear, I was just watching you go back and forth admiring your speed, bike and position. You looked very tidy!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Haha. I think I saw you. My tri club was doing a bunchie River Loop and they stopped for coffee at the little van. If you were wearing your Logan gear, I was just watching you go back and forth admiring your speed, bike and position. You looked very tidy!

Thanks! And throughout the ride, I was wondering I think I could lower the arm pads by another 5mm... you know, to be more aero!

About the Logan gear... shhh... don't tell me SBTC mates! Hahaha. Well, gotta make use of the gear from former clubs, rather than having them just sitting in the closet, right?

11 minutes ago, k3vski said:

Thanks! And throughout the ride, I was wondering I think I could lower the arm pads by another 5mm... you know, to be more aero!

About the Logan gear... shhh... don't tell me SBTC mates! Hahaha. Well, gotta make use of the gear from former clubs, rather than having them just sitting in the closet, right?

Looked pretty good from where I was sitting!

I won't say anything if you don't! What loop were you doing? You seemed to be going past ever few minutes so you were either going much faster than I thought you were or you were only doing short loops?

3 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Looked pretty good from where I was sitting!

I won't say anything if you don't! What loop were you doing? You seemed to be going past ever few minutes so you were either going much faster than I thought you were or you were only doing short loops?

We call it the hot dog loop, but I think it looks more like a lasso or a sperm. Turning around at the cemetery at one end and looping around the Jacaranda Park playground at the other end.

image.png.35ccaa5742476d816cb93f038a87b1b9.png

Well there you go. Doesn't look too bad at all. What's it like with vehicle and bike traffic when you're doing efforts?

That was my first River Loop so I'm not overly familiar with those roads at all, but it looked alright for vehicle traffic, but do you get mixed in with cycling groups at all?

11 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Well there you go. Doesn't look too bad at all. What's it like with vehicle and bike traffic when you're doing efforts?

That was my first River Loop so I'm not overly familiar with those roads at all, but it looked alright for vehicle traffic, but do you get mixed in with cycling groups at all?

I find it pretty good actually but I do start pretty early at about 5.30am and I was done just after 8am. There are cycling groups that come and go, plenty of space to overtake or be overtaken. Only very rarely, where I had to slow down a bit if there is an oncoming vehicle trying to overtake cyclists in the opposite direction and had to cross over to your lane. Obviously keep your eyes in front to watch out for parked cars and pedestrians. 

3 minutes ago, k3vski said:

I find it pretty good actually but I do start pretty early at about 5.30am and I was done just after 8am. There are cycling groups that come and go, plenty of space to overtake or be overtaken. Only very rarely, where I had to slow down a bit if there is an oncoming vehicle trying to overtake cyclists in the opposite direction and had to cross over to your lane. Obviously keep your eyes in front to watch out for parked cars and pedestrians. 

Fair enough. It would be a good little loop to do along there. How long is it?

3 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Fair enough. It would be a good little loop to do along there. How long is it?

About 2.6km each way, so 5.2km complete loop. It's my go to route for the mid week ride on race week, put on the race wheels for some short, sharp efforts with the recovery at each end.

Not sure how anyone could do the corso that many times. I find it a bit too annoying with the amount of bikes and cars on any given day personally, but I have a very low tolerance for traffic. 

I used to do the 30k loops out at the end of the centenary highway at Yamanto. Not sure how busy it is nowadays though. 

On 27/04/2021 at 2:20 PM, k3vski said:

I saw this comment k3vski! :) 🕵️‍♂️😁

8 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Not sure how anyone could do the corso that many times. I find it a bit too annoying with the amount of bikes and cars on any given day personally, but I have a very low tolerance for traffic. 

I used to do the 30k loops out at the end of the centenary highway at Yamanto. Not sure how busy it is nowadays though. 

Yup Centenary Highway is my staple long ride on the weekends too. But it has a fair bit of rolling hills, so the effort is not as constant.

9 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

I saw this comment k3vski! :) 🕵️‍♂️😁

🙈🙉🙊