Let's Talk Massage Guns

Nope. But there's no shortage of companies emailing me to flog them to everyone.... are they the 'Turbine' of 2020/2021?

Keen to know if they work for anyone with an Instagram follower count below 1000. ;)

Edited by gplama
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, gplama said:

Nope. But there's no shortage of companies emailing me to flog them to everyone.... are they the 'Turbine' of 2020/2021?

Keen to know if they work for anyone with an Instagram follower count below 1000. ;)

I had no idea Turbine was a thing! I have, however, found I can increase airflow by more than 38% by using an alternative technology known as the mouth.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Saw a tear down video of a Theragun (as in, the 'brand name' top of the range model on youtube)
The guy was... not impressed. Lots of tricks behind the scenes to make it look like it is expensive on the outside, while cutting costs inside. add to that that due to construction and design choices, it would basically be unrepairable.   

A 'guy I know on the internet' - suggests that the $90-150 knockoff models from amazon work exactly the same, and after looking at the internals of the $600+ models, I see no reason why buying the cheaper model would not be of value.

As for usage. I have seen people quit crit racing mid race due to cramping, and start using theirs, and then they ride home. So - for some people they work. I have considered buying a cheap one for the legs for post exercise recovery.

5 minutes ago, Cape_Horn said:

I have seen people quit crit racing mid race due to cramping, and start using theirs, and then they ride home.

Someone took one to a race? Can't they just punch themselves a few times in the leg for the same effect? 

• Haha 5

I have a cheap knock off got for xmas 2019/2020 and it's still going strong.  I love it and use it on my glutes, tfl, itb, vmo, quads, hammier, calves, shoulders.

works wonders, of course i still get massages / dry knelling as required, but this helps in between those.

• Like 1

I bought a non-Theragun model last year. Good for your calves, hammies and quads and with some assistance, upper back. Not convinced you would need the bluetooth that integrates with an app, etc. but it seems to work fine for me.

Side note - the book by Christine Aschwanden "Good to go" is a good read/listen (Audible version). Debunks a lot of the "recovery" methods and myths. Worth a look.

Edited by markso1077
  • Like 2

I have the Stryke gun. I bought it just after the start of lockdown in Sydney last year when I realised I still needed to exercise, but could not get massages.

Glutes, hammies, quads, ITBs, theres some other places it could be used on based on certain videos 🤣

• Haha 1

My wife got me one for Christmas 2020, it is a xmiao. I love it, mainly used on legs as others have said.

Even if you didn't like the gun, the instruction manual translation job would be worth it 😂  

• Haha 1

I have one - a Phoenix One massage gun. Its a great gun but I have had some issues with the battery. Funny enough i only just got it going again the other day. Theragun do a lot of advertising but the reviews are not that great. I did a fair bit of research before buying my one and I also had a cheaper one that lasted a couple of days before the kids got hold of it. I didn't want to waste my money. I suggest you look into the distance of travel and the power of some of the guns. Some of them barely move at all. The one i have you can push really hard into the muscle without it stopping. Also, buy one from a local shop so you can take it back if there is a problem.

Do they work? I don't think they do anything at all other than make you feel good when doing it. :)