Scicon Aero Comfort Triathlon 3.0 TSA Bike Bag

After many years of borrowing bike boxes/bags when travelling, I'm looking at finally purchasing a travel companion for my TT bike. I've come across the Tri Aero TSA bag which looks like a good purchase where the seat post and handlebars do not need to be removed, only the wheels are removed.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions as to which bike bag/box would be a better option or the Aero TSA is a good buy.

Cheers in advance.

5 minutes ago, Chambo said:

After many years of borrowing bike boxes/bags when travelling, I'm looking at finally purchasing a travel companion for my TT bike. I've come across the Tri Aero TSA bag which looks like a good purchase where the seat post and handlebars do not need to be removed, only the wheels are removed.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions as to which bike bag/box would be a better option or the Aero TSA is a good buy.

Cheers in advance.

i have one and was very impressed. It came with little extras like a pump, extra wheels, padding, combo lock etc. love it. 

Thanks Prince, appreciate the feedback. Airlines seem to have no problem with the soft bag? I thought I had heard that some were a wee bit reluctant to take the soft shell bike bags as luggage? Possibly an old wives tale/urban myth though.

19 minutes ago, Chambo said:

Thanks Prince, appreciate the feedback. Airlines seem to have no problem with the soft bag? I thought I had heard that some were a wee bit reluctant to take the soft shell bike bags as luggage? Possibly an old wives tale/urban myth though.

Hi,

I haven't had any problems, domestically, however, i did hear that possibly Hawaii airlines maybe wasn't taking soft bags anymore, but someone else on here can substantiate if thats true. 

Chambo - I cannot speak for international flights, but I fly domestic with Qantas and have not had an issue. The main issue with international will be the extra weight charges, I opted to rent in Switzerland.

I also fly with CO2 canisters, you can fly with a maximum of 4 from memory, just need to apply for the exemption (which is easy).

Thanks Prince and Miss Jess, yes, I think now that it was Hawaii Airlines that I had heard about. Was planning a trip to Roth this year but I will assume that isn't going to happen so was looking domestically and possible to NZ early next year.

Cheers

Hawaiian Airlines luggage handlers don't have a problem at all with Soft Bike Bags, in fact they love them... it's nice and easy to get a good grip on them before they fling them out of the plane and watch them slide across the tarmac! :lol: :unsure: :lol:

• Haha 2

My v2 edition of the bag has flown to Perth twice and to NZ once.
The wheels on mine are... easily damaged, but the new model has different wheels.

No issues flying Qantas (Just get your CO2 exemption to make checking faster)
As for airlines and softcases, I too remember hearing something about Hawaiian airlines and softcases.
There is a thread on Slowtwitch about it from 2018, but so saying, here is the relevant article from the airline
https://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/60/~/bicycles
Which says that they will take a soft sided case.

I flew with a soft bag with Hawaiian airlines at the last Kona, which seems forever ago. I had no problems on international flights, US domestic flights and Australian flights.

Check out youtube. For my bike bag there were a  number of videos on the best way to pack and protect your bike.

Great bag in terms of only needing to remove wheels. Being a soft bag though, there will always be a certain amount of vulnerability because of the way some of the airlines handle the bags. I've done approx 10 trips with mine. Had an issue once, cracked TT base bar. 

As AA7 mentioned it’s only a matter of time before u get broken bar and or shifters

if you dont remove the bars you are just asking for trouble , as they will be damadged at some point 

Hawaiian airlines don’t take soft bags anymore, (but make an exception for two weeks around kona) nor do many other US and European airlines 

we traveled lots (20 plus trips) with two aero comfort bags and never had any trouble, but I always removed bars , derailers etc and extra padding , which took so much time

we now have two velovault hard case which is only 1.5 kg heavier than the aero comfort and only takes 15 mins to pack 

Great case and totally stress free travel (well as stress fre as traveling with two bikes can be ) best thigh we ever done 

• Like 1

Used Scicon plenty of times (road and tri) and only had one issue. Cracked frame that Virgin paid nothing towards because I didn't tell them at the airport after collecting......

Only suggestion is, use some pool noodles around the bike(s). Great extra protection & don't weigh anything. 

• Like 1