SRAM Rival AXS Electronic

SRAM is launching Rival AXS Electronic tonight (our time)

Includes a single sided PM for only US$219 extra over the standard crankset

Shimano is not going to be happy and this will eat into their market share in the OEM segment

Could spell the end of mechanical Ultegra and may force Shimano to drop the price of 105 to OEM's

Will finally bring electronic shifting to the masses and allow everyone even remotely serious about their training to use a PM

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/search?kw2=rival

Here's my take on things: 

Shimano are asleep at the wheel. People wanted the new Di2... they delivered a coffee table book. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, gplama said:

Here's my take on things: 

Shimano are asleep at the wheel. People wanted the new Di2... they delivered a coffee table book. 🤷🏻‍♂️

How much do you think this will hurt Shimano at the OEM level?

Everyone likes the shiny new stuff so this has to hurt sales of Ultegra mechanical making it almost obsolete

Add to that the ease of building up a bike with wireless compared to a wired mechanical groupset and you would think that bike brands would be all over this 

If I was in the market for a new mid range bike I would be very interested in this SRAM wireless setup. Hopefully this will prompt Shimano to release something similar at this price point. It is good to see some strong competition in the OEM component market.

4 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

If I was in the market for a new mid range bike I would be very interested in this SRAM wireless setup. Hopefully this will prompt Shimano to release something similar at this price point. It is good to see some strong competition in the OEM component market.

Does it not bother you that it weighs 3.2kg  - a kilo or about 50% more than Ultegra di2?  And costs the same as far as I can see as current Ultegra Di2 prices? 

1.1kg - that's massive. That's an additional frame! 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dazaau said:

Does it not bother you that it weighs 3.2kg  - a kilo or about 50% more than Ultegra di2?  And costs the same as far as I can see as current Ultegra Di2 prices? 

Where are you getting that from?

I dont think that's correct.

Ive read that its 600g heavier that Ultegra Di2 and about $1000 cheaper

Its around the same price as mechanical Ultegra

Edit: Most of that weight is the cassette and crankset. Nothing stopping you running a Force crank and cassette and closing the difference to almost nothing and still saving coin

Edited by Mr Tinman
2 minutes ago, Mr Tinman said:

Where are you getting that from?

I dont think that's correct.

Ive read that its 600g heavier that Ultegra Di2 and about $1000 cheaper

Its around the same price as mechanical Ultegra

Edit: Most of that weight is the cassette and crankset. Nothing stopping you running a Force crank and cassette and closing the difference to almost nothing and still saving coin

Yes, the crankset appears to be made from lead. The 2x groupset weighs 3.2kg and that's mostly crank it seems.

Where I think I've gone wrong is the weight of di2 was for a rim brake. And price too. This one retails for $2200 aud - a di2 ultegra disk from bike bug is $2900 so that's a big difference. 

If I were to go this route I'd need a different crank, but you'd end up with 12sp and wireless for not too much extra weight and perhaps even some savings.

1 hour ago, dazaau said:

When I bought my first road bike the shop showed me two different bikes, the price difference was nearly $1000. I asked what the main difference was. They said it was mainly the weight, about 1.5kg. I bought the cheaper bike, went on a diet and lost 2kg 😀

As you worked out in your later post the price is quite a lot cheaper and you can reduce the weight by swapping some components.

46 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

When I bought my first road bike the shop showed me two different bikes, the price difference was nearly $1000. I asked what the main difference was. They said it was mainly the weight, about 1.5kg. I bought the cheaper bike, went on a diet and lost 2kg 😀

As you worked out in your later post the price is quite a lot cheaper and you can reduce the weight by swapping some components.

Apparently the best component swap is Tim-tams for apples...

• Haha 2
23 minutes ago, trifun said:

Or better yet mechanical and budget (weight and $$) for even more Tim Tams 😅

3 hours ago, Mr Tinman said:

Ive got a set of near new 172.5mm Red AXS crank arms I may part with (replaced with 165mm cause my legs are shorter than my arms)

Add some chain rings and you're set!

I’m tempted to buy them just so I can buy a groupset to try it out

3 hours ago, trifun said:

Sadly I have not had a Tim Tam or an apple for over 5 months now. While I should be 10kg lighter I am not.

• Sad 1

Shimano are asleep. They have not released anything for years. The distributor in Australia makes it difficult for new shops/bike builders to get an account and they are out of stock of many things such as cranks. Must be busy with fishing reels or something else.