1 hour ago, Chuckie M said:

Life in tropics. Safer than the Apex gang in Melbourne..🙃

Interesting, those guys aren’t around anymore. 

NFI what happened 

51 minutes ago, Peter said:

Interesting, those guys aren’t around anymore. 

NFI what happened 

The media arent allowed to report on them anymore...

22 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

no you can't

Can but given you haven’t run or swim inn4 years, even you aren’t that dumb to drop 1k

I went for a few OWS there and the lifeguard reckons you would have to pretty unlucky to get chomped. They generally don't hang around in the ocean and literally swim from creek to creek. That said I would definitely be heeding the signs advice!

10 minutes ago, zed said:

I went for a few OWS there and the lifeguard reckons you would have to pretty unlucky to get chomped. They generally don't hang around in the ocean and literally swim from creek to creek. That said I would definitely be heeding the signs advice!

Says the west australian who swims with Great Whites for laughs

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, BarryBevan said:

Says the west australian who swims with Great Whites for laughs

I prefer GWs to crocs. Crocs have no fear! GWs can actually be a bit timid, believe it or not.

• Haha 2
19 hours ago, Blobby said:

Updates in for a revised bike and run course (4 laps), for those going, check out the web site.

So looks like bike won’t go right into port D 

this will make the locals a little happier (pity it was a fast piece of road but anything that makes the locals more accepting is a good thing )

run has shortened on the southern end , but will go out n back  along the pier 

this won’t make the locals happy who spend all day and night fishing of said pier 

Edited by ironpo
3 hours ago, ironpo said:

this will make the locals a little happier (pity it was a fast piece of road but anything that makes the locals more accepting is a good thing )

run has shortened on the southern end , but will go out n back  along the pier 

this won’t make the locals happy who spend all day and night fishing of said pier 

the bike is still up to rex lookout twice. How is there less climbs than last year? 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Fresh said:

Hopefully the locals can look past 1 day's fishing discomfort with the cash injection that will be pumping into the local economy.

Move it.  I’m sure there are plenty of locations that would like 2000 athetes and their families to come and spend money. 

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, Prince said:

the bike is still up to rex lookout twice. How is there less climbs than last year? 

I didn’t mention anything about climbing 

not sure where you got that 

(and I wouldn’t call Rex lookout  climbing )

19 hours ago, ironpo said:

1 hour ago, ironpo said:

I didn’t mention anything about climbing 

not sure where you got that 

(and I wouldn’t call Rex lookout  climbing )

Sorry mate.  I wasn’t  in any way having a go at you.  It was the email I got from Ironman which said that there is less going over Rex lookout this year.  I was just curious as to what last years course was.  It implies competitors had to go over rexs more than twice last year. 

Edited by Prince
  • Like 1

On 17/04/2021 at 1:31 PM, Prince said:

We climbed Rex 6 times in total last year, 3 x North and 3 x South.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, trickle said:

We climbed Rex 6 times in total last year, 3 x North and 3 x South.

wow. so are you generally pleased about the change of course? any tips?

Just now, Prince said:

wow. so are you generally pleased about the change of course? any tips?

Last year was my first IM in Cairns and was just happy to be able to race...just not in the heat we experienced on the day!!

The 2020 swim was somewhat chaotic, 70.3 athletes were sent off as the IM athletes were on their second lap which caused some issues, the water temp and a "not mandatory but highly encouraged" wetsuit call did more damage

2020 bike, I like it it. Course changes for 2021 look to be in line with the 2019 bike. Less climbing maybe but still open, exposed and hot with a head wind all the way home.

Run, flat and repetitive but thats an IM run in Cairns for you. I just hope a local hands me a beer during lap 3 like last year :D 

Should be a good one! 

• Like 1
On 4/15/2021 at 4:37 PM, zed said:

I prefer GWs to crocs. Crocs have no fear! GWs can actually be a bit timid, believe it or not.

Yeh whites might have a chomp and spit you out. Crocs drag you under and take you back to eat for dinner later.

2 months out and I got a bout of gastro this weekend on top of reduced running with plantar fasciitis. I think my body is telling me something...

• Sad 1
16 hours ago, Fresh said:

...I got a bout of gastro this weekend...

I got hit with it on Friday night after the kids brought it home from daycare on Thursday. It's been a long time since I've been that sick. Was just an overnight thing but bloody hell.

• Sad 1
16 hours ago, Fresh said:

2 months out and I got a bout of gastro this weekend on top of reduced running with plantar fasciitis. I think my body is telling me something...

that sucks.  Had plantar but luckily got rid of it after a month or so. Very painful.  Been dealing with a very dodgy knee myself for the past 6 weeks. You know what its like, you know it could heal if you had a rest from all running and cycling for 3 weeks, but who is game enough to do that during their ironman program. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Prince said:

... but who is game enough to do that during their ironman program. 

Six weeks, five days and fifteen hours. But who's counting? :eek:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Forums back!

How did everyone go? I had a great swim, felt really good in the last km and came out of the water ready to rock, to a flat tyre in T1…the same tyre that was fine that morning and all weeks prior. Changed the tube, that went flat straight away. Changed to my second - and final tube - and took off some 20 odd minutes behind the middle of the IM pack. 50kms into the ride, that same tyre flatted too. What luck! Haven’t had a flat tyre in I can’t remember how long, but I get three in one day, on the one day you don’t want one. SAG wagon took me home.

That southerly on the bike has gotta be the most demoralising thing on the Cairns course, after a triple flat that is.

Now I gotta work out if I’m over this sport for good, or if I want to have a crack somewhere else. But I’m over Cairns. 

Sincere condolences to the poor bloke’s family who didn’t make it out of the 70.3 swim. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

That sucks.  I remember the year Flanman got 5. I got 2 the same year. 

how many Ironman’s have you done?

thoughts on doing busso?

an easy downhill Ironman for a final pb ?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Peter said:

That sucks.  I remember the year Flanman got 5. I got 2 the same year. 

how many Ironman’s have you done?

thoughts on doing busso?

an easy downhill Ironman for a final pb ?

This was my first attempt at the full. I must’ve wronged the Ironman gods at some point. Busso is an option, but gotta assess how much I want it at this point. 

• Like 1

Oh you have to go again. You need 1 finished.  Go port Mac or busso.  Even if you do no training, you’ve got to finish at least one. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Fresh said:

to a flat tyre in T1…the same tyre that was fine that morning and all weeks prior. Changed the tube, that went flat straight away. Changed to my second - and final tube - and took off some 20 odd minutes behind the middle of the IM pack. 50kms into the ride, that same tyre flatted too. What luck! Haven’t had a flat tyre in I can’t remember how long, but I get three in one day, on the one day you don’t want one. SAG wagon took me home.

Gee that's bad luck mate. 

Did you find the reason for the flats, surely you couldn't be that unlucky to get three random flats in 50ks. Tyres OK? Rims OK? 

After  a 19years break, i lined up for my 7th Ironman.  The swim was tough for me but got it done in just over an hour. I fell apart on the second lap of the bike coming back into the wind. First time i raced with a power meter, and quite frankly, i wasn't that enthused. Maybe i just don't know how to race using one. 

The first lap of the run, i was just okay but after battling a knee injury for the past few months, even walking became a challenge. I had popped nearly 6 voltaren tablets by then without much effect, so I called it quits after 18km as my walking even got slower and when the man in the crutches cruised past me, my pain just got worse. I spent at least 5km totally walking deciding what to do so it wasn't a rash decision to pull the pin. 

It is the best atmosphere i have ever seen so will be back next year for sure. It was also the hardest IM i have competed in so wasn't too hard on myself. 

• Like 5
6 hours ago, roxii said:

Gee that's bad luck mate. 

Did you find the reason for the flats, surely you couldn't be that unlucky to get three random flats in 50ks. Tyres OK? Rims OK? 

The first two tubes were ditched in T1 so I couldn’t check em out, and I’m guessing the second tube flatted due to an error on my part as I was changing it. I haven’t checked the third tube yet…but the tyre looks fine - it was practically brand new only a couple 100km on it. 

I have to say I pulled into the Ellis Beach aid station before the first turnaround at PC and asked if anyone had a pump (by then I could see the rear was flattening)…an Ellis Beach SLSC volunteer took me up to the SLSC shed and fashioned a makeshift valve adaptor onto the air inflator they use for their surf boats. The legend got me going a bit further before it was game over. I’m gonna drop him a six pack on my way back from Port Douglas this weekend. 

• Like 4

I 3 flatted on my first half Ironman. I only had 2 tubes. The first flat was a slow leak, so I put the tube back in. For the last 20km I stopped and pumped up the tyre every few km's.

• Like 3
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Prince said:

After  a 19years break, i lined up for my 7th Ironman.  The swim was tough for me but got it done in just over an hour. I fell apart on the second lap of the bike coming back into the wind. First time i raced with a power meter, and quite frankly, i wasn't that enthused. Maybe i just don't know how to race using one. 

The first lap of the run, i was just okay but after battling a knee injury for the past few months, even walking became a challenge. I had popped nearly 6 voltaren tablets by then without much effect, so I called it quits after 18km as my walking even got slower and when the man in the crutches cruised past me, my pain just got worse. I spent at least 5km totally walking deciding what to do so it wasn't a rash decision to pull the pin. 

It is the best atmosphere i have ever seen so will be back next year for sure. It was also the hardest IM i have competed in so wasn't too hard on myself. 

When you spend as much time as you did in T2, you were never going to finish. 

Edited by Peter
23 hours ago, Fresh said:

This was my first attempt at the full. I must’ve wronged the Ironman gods at some point. Busso is an option, but gotta assess how much I want it at this point. 

It's not always about the want of it, it's more about the internal enjoyment of it. The 3, 4, 6, 12 months of training is the test - not necessarily the race. The mental investment of training is where the love comes from.

Give it a few days, weeks. Look back on where you came from when you entered to what you were just before the gun went off on the day. Be proud of your efforts. Be a hard arse and get your money's worth next time.

FM 

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, Prince said:

After  a 19years break, i lined up for my 7th Ironman.

A monumental effort there Prince. 

FM

• Like 3
On 09/06/2021 at 11:05 PM, Flanman said:

It's not always about the want of it, it's more about the internal enjoyment of it. The 3, 4, 6, 12 months of training is the test - not necessarily the race. The mental investment of training is where the love comes from.

Give it a few days, weeks. Look back on where you came from when you entered to what you were just before the gun went off on the day. Be proud of your efforts. Be a hard arse and get your money's worth next time.

FM 

Considering Port is on in a few months and it has entries available, I might roll the fitness on and get this one done.

Having never done Port, how do folks compare the Port and Cairns courses?