Just had a phone call indicating the usual Saturday afternoon race will now be early on Sunday due to covid and traffic issues. Seems like their point of difference is now gone and the vocal locals have spoken..

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Just had a phone call indicating the usual Saturday afternoon race will now be early on Sunday due to covid and traffic issues. Seems like their point of difference is now gone and the vocal locals have spoken..

You got a phone call? That’s very personalised. 

3 hours ago, pieman said:

Covid can tell the time?

28 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Covid can tell the time?

Apparently covid has increased visitor numbers on weekdays and normal weekends making the traffic issues even worse than usual..

A damn shame but it's been coming for years.. I mean it was only a few years back the course got shortened when an upset local with a gun said he was going to set up at the turnaround and take pot-shots at cyclists rather than wait on traffic..

• Sad 1
11 hours ago, wombattri said:

You got a phone call? That’s very personalised. 

I got an email.  And it said they were going to ring everyone.  Seems like the future of tri is looking a bit shaky, road closures are too much for the locals?

We'll still race though.  Actually, I had no idea is was on Saturday arvo, thought it was Sunday morning like most races (you can tell my wife organises all this stuff) 😆

I am writing to update you regarding an important change to your race entry and outline the unfolding situation effecting the future of the iconic Byron Bay Triathlon.

Since COVID began twelve months ago the visiting tourist levels have reached similar levels to the peak Christmas/Summer holiday period, both for weekends and many weekdays. This trend has continued and is forecast to now directly impact the Byron Tri.

Byron Shire Council and the local Byron Bay Police have been working with us looking to overcome this traffic related problem caused by the increased number of vehicles in Byron Bay. This biggest problem is when we close the coastal road network for the cycle course from the Surf Club south to Suffolk Park locking in tourists, visitors and locals at lunch time.

Information shared with us suggests the number of vehicles would likely be so large that when we close the cycle course, traffic could backup along Ewingsdale Road and up onto the Pacific Highway.

Additionally, the Byron Bypass Road will be working for the first time but unfortunately will increase the re-diversion of north-south traffic flow into the middle section of our closed cycle course creating an immediate overloading as the traffic will not be able move through (see: Byron Bay Bypass - Byron Shire Council (nsw.gov.au).

We are also conscious that the termination of the Kernell Triathlon earlier in February after 30 years is a major blow to our New South Wales racing calendar and it also faced similar threats due to population increase. We need to recognise change and respond or otherwise we will be left with very few coastal races in Queensland and New South Wales (see: Save the Kurnell Triathlon Sprint Series).

Council was willing to approve this years lunch time race but made us aware that if the community and visitor backlash was significant it would be the last year of a triathlon in Byron Bay. It has also been made abundantly clear that we should expect considerable community and visitor backlash for a Saturday afternoon event.

To protect our sport and to protect this 25 year old iconic triathlon in an amazing seaside location we have been presented with three possibilities.

1. Move the event away from Byron Bay - however there are presently no alternative locations
  2. Start the triathlon Saturday morning earlier to avoid the traffic - however this is expected to cause considerable community upset as that morning has a number of major sporting fixtures in bowls, golf, rugby and soccer.
  3. Move to Sunday morning.

We have therefore progressed with moving the race to the morning of Sunday 9 May.

We understand the swap from Saturday to Sunday will upset many of you, though we hope it does not change accommodation bookings.

I understand some of our loyal Triathletes will be upset but I hope you can also see the importance in responding to these unprecedented changes in the Byron Bay community. We have already began phoning each of you today, and will continue to try to reach out personally to you next week.

I must acknowledge the commitment of the Byron Shire Council staff and the Northern Rivers Highway Policing Unit and the local Byron Police in helping us every step of the way to continue this event's legacy well into the future.

Collectively we hope this change is received positively by the residents and local businesses; as we cannot confirm a 26th triathlon until after this year's trial date change.

Should you need to change your entry, please email byrontri@nxsports.org or call the team on 02 8507 0796.

We have included some frequently asked questions below.

Yours in triathlon,

mike-crawley-signature-e1508220042135.gif

Mike Crawley
Race Director

Frequently Asked Questions

What time will the triathlon start Sunday morning?

Racing will commence with the Sprint first after 6.25am so we can finish the longer distances and open the road south from the new bypass connection as early as possible. *Note there is no daylight saving so this is Queensland time.

How far is Byron from the Gold Coast and Brisbane?

Brisbane early travel time 1hr-35min to 1hr-50min.

Gold Coast early travel time is 1hr to 1hr-15min.

Could this really be the last Byron Bay Triathlon?

As explained we are not certain if there will be a 2022 Byron Bay Triathlon and it will depend on the feedback from tourists, residents and businesses. We sincerely hope the change to Sunday will lessen the impact locally and ensure the future of the event.

What happens to my entry to the Byron Bay Triathlon?

All entries have already been transferred to the new Sunday 9 May date.

Can I change my entry to the Byron Bay Triathlon?

Yes - any upgrades or withdraws are still within your same terms and conditions here: www.byrontri.org/tac. We will continue to offer 100% credit to transfer to any other event for the next 12 months as well should this date not be suitable.

Please contact our team to make any changes to your entry either via byrontri@nxsports.org or call 02 8507 0796.

Other Questions

Feel free to give our team a call on 02 8507 0796 or hit reply to this email to discuss.

Edited by ComfortablyNumb
8 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Hope so, it's ok to start on the beers at 8am right?

Certainly is in my book.  Should have standards though and respect the sport, anytime from T2 on is appropriate.  Make sure you dont wear headphones though or have an undone zipper.

Edited by Oompa Loompa
  • Like 1
On 12/04/2021 at 7:10 PM, Oompa Loompa said:

Certainly is in my book.  Should have standards though and respect the sport, anytime from T2 on is appropriate.  Make sure you dont wear headphones though or have an undone zipper.

Fair call!

• 3 weeks later...

You've got to wonder about the future of this race (and maybe triathlon in general given the Port Mac wranglings?)

The locals have cracked the shits about road closures & they've had to change the cycle course and wave start times.  Combined with the eroded beach, it has been a nightmare for the organisers who, to their great credit, have been able to make something happen, though the sprint bike course is now more like a criterium.

If this event were in our town, the locals would realise it is a big economic boost and suck it up for a few hours on Sunday morning. 

For wealthy Byron residents, it seems not being inconvenienced for a few hours is far more important than supporting their local economy.  Are they a pack of spoilt #$%^!@#s ?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

If this event were in our town, the locals would realise it is a big economic boost and suck it up for a few hours on Sunday morning. 

I understand the logic here, but does it apply to a place like Byron?

They would probably get similar numbers with no road closures most weekends. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Tyno said:

I understand the logic here, but does it apply to a place like Byron?

They would probably get similar numbers with no road closures most weekends. 

Yeah someone told me the take from a weekend off weddings far exceeded the triathlon and that's every weekend...

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Yeah someone told me the take from a weekend off weddings far exceeded the triathlon and that's every weekend...

that's the issue isnt it, byron doesnt need a triathlon for the economy...the place just goes off all the time, combined with some seriously wealthy residents that are well connected... its sort of sad to see community events struggle as the world evolves...... club champs at port stephens, even kurnell world champs where nobody ever tested positive even though so close to shark park is no longer and they got nothing on byron on terms of people and things on.

Small towns still need events like the triathlon or music festivals etc... or there is nothing for the locals to do and they just become full of druggos and thieves. 

Yeah but. No but.

Weddings are as boring as batshit!

Anyway, we are going to make lycra-clad @#$%@#$%s of ourselves for the grumpy locals .  And hopefully pick up a nice bream on fly in the Brunswick River 🐟

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 07/05/2021 at 6:31 AM, ComfortablyNumb said:

Yeah but. No but.

Weddings are as boring as batshit!

Anyway, we are going to make lycra-clad @#$%@#$%s of ourselves for the grumpy locals .  And hopefully pick up a nice bream on fly in the Brunswick River 🐟

Just sit round coffee shops in the lycra, lean a bike on a wall, preferably blocking entrance to another store, order one coffee, no food, and take a table for 90 minutes.... people love that.

If you really want to drive it home, leave your helmet on, people will stare thinking your about to leave.

• Haha 1

This from the organisers just now after they've been forced into more course changes at the 12th hour.  Really feel sorry for them.  Can't see them running this race again!

image.png.51978cd701d2fd7a81c13d5b767388d6.png

BTW, got one small bream and 4 small flatties on fly in the Brunswick River.  A beautiful little spot.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pieman said:

I can't see this race going ahead again. Enjoy the end of an era

I remember doing a race at Lennox heaps in the 90’s. 

just move it down the coast 

Well that was insane chaos, but so much fun.

My wife rode for a female team with her sister & niece.  She did 5 laps on the bike instead of 4 because the marshall with the photographic memory who can apparently count everyone's laps????? sent her out on 1 lap too many.  I told her at least she got her money's worth....went down like a lead balloon 😆

But they still won their category by half a meter on the finish line 😀

I did a team with my neice's boyfriend (he ran) and we got 2nd in the male teams (1st really we think, but the event sponsors supposedly came 1st with a time that looks impossible - but all part of the fun).

PS @OldDave - come and take your bike back mate.  She smashed me on the your old P3 (well she would have if she'd done 4 laps instead of 5 - would have ridden over a minute faster over the 17kms).  And she hates technical stuff & it was like a bloody street criterium, there were bikes going everywhere, corners with cobbles, u-turns galore.  Was like cycling pinball out there, but incredibly very few crashes.

Mike & the crew did an incredible job to pull this race off.  There were changes right up to the gun.

2058496472_RBike1.thumb.jpg.5d76aa03be5111cd95d53064512c7d5a.jpg.

• Like 4

behind the scenes didn't have such a great day out - part of email sent out by organisers:

to explain:

You would not be aware of the external pressure outside the race course, particularly from the southern part of Byron and Suffolk.

We were exposed to some terrible bullying (abuse) from some vehicle drivers. My staff, my volunteers and our sub-contractors were harassed with blaring horns and became highly stressed. Matters were so serious that at one stage traffic control requested us to slow the riders and stop the race to clear the aggressive drivers (and as an alternative I had to release some traffic onto the cycle course).

It is important to highlight that not all the Byron community shares the same view with the vocal anti-triathlon campaigners, and it was lovely to meet so many families and supporters on the cycle course watching the race.

Where do we go from here is the next question - we are working with Council starting this week.

13 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

behind the scenes didn't have such a great day out - part of email sent out by organisers:

to explain:

You would not be aware of the external pressure outside the race course, particularly from the southern part of Byron and Suffolk.

We were exposed to some terrible bullying (abuse) from some vehicle drivers. My staff, my volunteers and our sub-contractors were harassed with blaring horns and became highly stressed. Matters were so serious that at one stage traffic control requested us to slow the riders and stop the race to clear the aggressive drivers (and as an alternative I had to release some traffic onto the cycle course).

It is important to highlight that not all the Byron community shares the same view with the vocal anti-triathlon campaigners, and it was lovely to meet so many families and supporters on the cycle course watching the race.

Where do we go from here is the next question - we are working with Council starting this week.

Yes, they let a grey Corolla on just in front of me at the turn-around which I thought was strange.  The car stayed in the shoulder & was driving about 10kmh so was easy to get around, but I thought it was odd.

Also saw another car on the course and one they had to let cross the bikes at the roundabout near the CBD.

Be amazed if they run this again.

Thought I'd see more of this on the day!

Very nearly did same on 1st lap, went wide at roundabout & there is a line of pavers/cobble stones in the middle of the road which I did not realise had a significant lip back up onto the bitumen.  Front wheel slid sideways along the lip as I tried to come back to the left.  MTB experience saved the day 😁

797071091_CrashComp.thumb.jpg.a750f1081a47d143f514b19e02e8fd57.jpg

21 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

Further evidence to support my hypothesis that most people in Byron are complete arseholes. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

Further evidence to support my hypothesis that most people in Byron are complete arseholes. 

Yeah, wife and I said we'd never want to live there.  Not our scene.

• Like 1