As a kid, did your dad .... (dad quirky things)

5 hours ago, Peter said:

When going on a long drive or holiday, did your dad have everyone up early to leave and beat the traffic?

You been watching Top Gear? 😉

• Haha 1

Nope.  Our Dad never came on holidays with us.  He rarely had a holiday.  They had a holiday cottage at Dalmeny which he visited once in 30yrs!

Our mother did all the holiday driving.....and 5mins after getting booked for speeding in Bodalla, announced she needed to buy a faster car 🙄

• Haha 1

My Dad would always say the car needed filling up pretty much whenever the needle dipped below half a tank. I don't think he ever let it get 3/4 empty in his life.

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Peter said:

When going on a long drive or holiday, did your dad have everyone up early to leave and beat the traffic?

Still do.  On the 5am barge to Moreton island tomorrow morning  😁

Neither of my parents or my brother learnt to drive a car. We all relied on public transport. I was the only on in our family of four to get a license to drive because I wanted to go surfing. Does that make the whole family quirky.😀

Edited by fiftyplus
  • Like 2

My old man would head out to the car and start it, waiting for Mum and us kids.

Problem was Mum had 5 of us and herself to get ready and pretty much the only reason we knew the old man was ready to go was when the car started!!

My old man was not the best communicator 🙄

My Dad wasn't (isn't) an early riser, so it was us nagging him to get going.

It was my responsibility to pack the car from early on - helped that it started during my Tetris phase 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Dad was a dairy farmer when I was young, everyone was up early regardless of whether there was traffic to beat or not.  Holidays were not really a thing until we got out of dairying

• Like 1
10 hours ago, FatPom said:

My Dad would always say the car needed filling up pretty much whenever the needle dipped below half a tank. I don't think he ever let it get 3/4 empty in his life.

When you’re driving in the country “never drive past a petrol station or a toilet”.

• Like 1

I was the oldest male in the family from age 5. My mother never had a licence. We either went by public transport or a lift.

Our first holiday was when I was 14. We went to Leura and my uncle gave us a lift. 

I got my licence late at 19yo. My mates always drove and I paid part of the petrol.

FM

My time in the car with my dad was spent listening to 2KY racing radio on Saturdays.

By the time I was about 10 I reckon I knew all the tracks, horses and jockeys going around. 
Spent plenty of my Saturdays trackside at Canterbury as well with a few other kids with similar dads. Was there that often that champion jockey  Malcolm Johnston knew our names. :lol: 

Dad punted often but only small bets which was just as well as he was terrible at it. Still is. 
Probably why I never bothered even though I knew more about horse racing than all my mates. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, FatPom said:

My Dad always left the car in 1st gear when he parked it.  I do the same thing, always.

Same here, unless pointed down hill, in which case reverse was chosen.  He told me if you leave the car in first pointed down hill, it could technical be roll started if hit from behind or the hand brake failed

I thought everyone left their manual car in 1st or reverse, depending on slope?  My fil often never put the handbrake on.  He was telling us the other day about the time he went to a customer's house years ago and his work van rolled away because he left the handbrake off.  That would have been 40+ years ago.  He still often leaves the handbrake off today.

If you own a Toyota landcruiser or Toyota hilux you would know you never ever leave your car in neutral.  The handbrakes are just there for display purposes.  I have two Toyota’s and never would I trust the handbrakes on either of them 😂

• Like 2
On 27/03/2021 at 7:17 PM, Cottoneyes said:

Same here, unless pointed down hill, in which case reverse was chosen.  He told me if you leave the car in first pointed down hill, it could technical be roll started if hit from behind or the hand brake failed

always. 

Drive an old land cruiser and rely on the handbrake at your own peril.

First or reverse. 

Wheels the right way so if it rolls it goes I to the kerb immediately. 

Even wheel chock. 

And the handbrake. 

16 hours ago, Bored@work said:

My Dad never did it but I have been doing the "pull my finger" & fart thing. 

A mate of mine and I have adapted it to "what sound does Mummy make?". We find it hilarious. Our partners do not.

16 hours ago, Bored@work said:

My Dad never did it but I have been doing the "pull my finger" & fart thing. 

My dad used to do this trick for me and I used to do it to my kids.

OH DAD! 😏

On 24/03/2021 at 8:59 PM, Peter said:

When ON holidays, he'd drop pots & pans very early in the morning, and when you'd stagger out to see what was going on, he'd say, "oh you're awake? Want some breakfast?!"

On 27/03/2021 at 9:16 AM, Cottoneyes said:

Thanks to my Dad, I am able to fluently translate from imperial measurements into metric.  He never adapted to the metric system, and I had to understand what he was talking about

My (late) Dad was the same, despite being an architect / engineer ..... but he also had veteran cars from the early 1900s .... a couple of Rolls-Royces, a Hurtu from France, A-models, a Stutz .... and we would have to be able to translate SAE --> Whitworth and back, miles to kms and back ....

It now explains a lot! 

220px-JFIScrewThread300.png

My Dad also taught me to drive in a 1973 F-350 double cab truck, 351ci Cleveland, 4 speed top loader, without power steering or power brakes. It didn't have a functioning speedo, but I knew 1,200 rpm (or thereabouts) in top was 60kmh .... or thereabouts ..... He also converted it to gas and dropped a 200 litre (legally) converted tank in it, so that we wouldn't have to stop on long journeys. He would determine the length of safe driving by his bladder and when he needed to refill. Sydney? 859km, so 7 hours. Adelaide? 6 on a good day. 

"Son, if you can drive that, you can drive anything!!!"

My first car was a Mini panelvan which was a dream after the truck!!!

Miss the dear old bloke!

Now that the drive to Qld from Sydney is almost all freeway I’m taking great delight in telling everyone in the car about all the “cool” things just off the freeway, but then not stopping anywhere cause we are on a schedule. :lol: 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, roxii said:

Now that the drive to Qld from Sydney is almost all freeway I’m taking great delight in telling everyone in the car about all the “cool” things just off the freeway, but then not stopping anywhere cause we are on a schedule. :lol: 

I can't even get my kids to stop looking at the screen and look out the window when we go past the Big Banana. As a kid I was always excited to see the the Big Banana as we drove past. Even got to stop there once. (I think it was a bit crap?)

Mind you, I am still happy to see the (not so) Big Chook in Moonbi.

b7984903ad6568beee2986463884b0fc92f1a18e.jpg

8 minutes ago, flathead said:

As a kid I was always excited to see the the Big Banana as we drove past. Even got to stop there once. (I think it was a bit crap?)

We used to be the same when we saw the big pinapples on the road north of Brisbane (one at Nambour and one at Gympie).  Gympie one is gone now.

59 minutes ago, flathead said:

I can't even get my kids to stop looking at the screen and look out the window when we go past the Big Banana. As a kid I was always excited to see the the Big Banana as we drove past. Even got to stop there once. (I think it was a bit crap?)

Exmouth has a big prawn, always worth a look out the window.  Kimba if you know where that is (SA) has a big galah

Went full dad mode on the trip home from Qld today. 
The gps said I was due to make it home at 5.39 pm.

I told the kids that meant we had a total of 21 minutes of stoppage time available for the whole trip as I needed to be home to watch the news :lol: 

• Haha 2

I don’t have Dad memories but I do love listening to my kids talk about their Dad. I’m glad they have so many funny stories they can tell and laugh about. And I’m so grateful for Facebook memories so we can still hear his voice in videos and watch him do the silly sh!t he did.

don’t ever stop doing the Dad things you fella’s...you don’t realise how much this means down the track..

💛💛💛

On 29/03/2021 at 8:00 PM, Wronggenes said:

ADC5BFA6-10A5-4A9A-A7AB-4B177D209FA7.jpeg

At least 10 for me.

On 07/04/2021 at 9:23 AM, flathead said:

The big chook dunnies were my regular stop on the way to Tamworth triathlons.

10 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I don’t have Dad memories but I do love listening to my kids talk about their Dad. I’m glad they have so many funny stories they can tell and laugh about. And I’m so grateful for Facebook memories so we can still hear his voice in videos and watch him do the silly sh!t he did.

don’t ever stop doing the Dad things you fella’s...you don’t realise how much this means down the track..

💛💛💛

Made our girls (and next their boyfriends) diorama's to put on their work desks so they will remember the silly shit I do.  Just finished this one of our youngest covering the 2018 Winter Olys - a bit of a 'what if' as the Aus womens bodsled team never actually went the PyeongChang....but they should have (AOC selected them, but their sporting assoc did not).  She keeps asking me if I actually do any real work 😆FinalLightsOn.thumb.jpg.490ae84f42a4b50eae110dba4a669b41.jpg

• Like 3