Tranny Down - IronmanFoz

Great post 'Working', and like so many of the other posts above I think we are all just thinking and hoping for the best for Andrew & his family.

While it would be nice to know the events leading up to the accident, it is possibly something that we may never really know and we may need to be prepared for that.  Regardless of the cause we know that Andrew was a very experienced bike rider on a very familiar bit of road so this is probably something that could happen to many of us.  My wife knowns and understands that I know the risks when I go out training and racing, and I know she accepts that - but I guess that still doesn't make things any easier for her and my family if something does happen.

Dianne & Family - I've met Andrew a few times at races and their related functions etc, and am friends here and on Facebook, so I have really appreciated the candid and honest updates on how he's going.  Please pass on my best wishes when appropriate and, like others have said, let us know if and when you need anything.

Edited by Go Easy
  • Like 3
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An update on IronmanFoz from Dianne: Today's update. Surgery finished. Took 61/2 hrs. He is now back in ICU. Went well and according to plan. Back and neck now stabilized enough that the collar h

Hi all, the latest update from Dianne: Foz update- 2 weeks down Andrew remains in ICU but is looking better each day as they remove a machine/canular or monitor. He is awake, talking and breathin

Hi all, a further update from Di with some good progress: Foz Update- nearly one month down. Moved out of ICU on Wednesday night and now in the Spinal Unit. Rehab has begun and he has done 2 gym

Posted Images

Thanks for the update.

Tell him to pull his finger out and get a bit better so we can visit. He may have to have his own visitors book to ensure the hospital isn’t overcrowded. 

FM

• Like 5
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Thanks for the update.

Tell him to pull his finger out and get a bit better so we can visit. He may have to have his own visitors book to ensure the hospital isn’t overcrowded. 

FM

Agreed Flanny. I suspect we need to get Foz onto an App that can schedule his visitors. There will be lots of IM stories to tell. Ask him about the MMM Ironman. I once spent 4 hours on a ride listening to that one.

Edited by Mr Flower
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

I also wish Andrew a speedy recovery and understand it’s still early days in and a lot of hospitals now have a rehabilitation program based in their hospitals.  If they don’t and when the time comes their is Mt Wilga Private Hospital in Hornsby which is purely a rehabilitation hospital with great Physios, Exercise Physiologists, and Occupational Therapists. 

Edited by fiftyplus
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, TenPints said:

Do we know which hospital? Apologies if I missed that in the thread.

Thinking of you mate!

Hey mate the police social media post said he was taken to RNS and I assume he is still there. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, roxii said:

Hey mate the police social media post said he was taken to RNS and I assume he is still there. 

Cheers Roxii.

I’m a short walk from the RNS, so if anyone is visiting the legend and needs anything, happy to help - even if it’s just to offer a cold one!

• Like 3
Just now, nealo said:

I reckon when the time's right a car trip from the Shire with Tranny visitors is on the cards.

And who said that Shire people are allowed to travel north ? Visas will be mandatory. 

FM

1 minute ago, Flanman said:

And who said that Shire people are allowed to travel north ? Visas will be mandatory. 

FM

A mere mention of visiting IronmanFoz and we will be waved through :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Andrew,   I have been on a bit of a triathlon social media hiatus and returned to see this sad news.   I wish you all the very best and hope that all Trannies get the opportunity to see you again very soon.  Steven Newman (Newman)   

• Like 2

Don't forget Goughy's card idea please guys 

can we make a decent effort and got on this please if you haven't already. 

I cant even imagine how tough it must be for Andrew and his family, any light will help and I'm sure he would love to know we are all on his team. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Wow, Haven't been on Trannies for a long time, and to come back and  read this was heart wrenching. @IronmanFoz keep fighting mate. Hope your progress continues.

Mark, thanks for all the updates

Edited by EDO
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, FatPom said:

After all he's gone through and he still manages to look happier than John Hill. 😉

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Because I can only give that one laughing emoji as feedback and it’s nowhere near enough 

• Haha 1

Hi all,  bit of a sad update I’m afraid. Andrew went downhill rapidly last weekend and was readmitted to Intensive care with sodium problems. He is proving a challenge as they can not seem to find the cause of the problem . They are infusing him with high levels of salt but he is salt wasting which is a danger to him. He is pretty depleted and now with COVID restrictions this will limit things further in terms of visits. 

Here is his latest update 

So far it’s been a long seven and a bit weeks and I am currently back in ICU with salt level conditions which is confusing the hell out of the doctors and not making my progress smooth. I remain optimistic and positive as I think you know I always was.

Have lots of support from my family, school friends triathlete friends and most importantly my wife Dianne has been a rock so, so far all is good.

Looking forward to getting out of ICU and getting back upstairs to a normal room where I can get back to exercise programs etc.

Stay safe and keep well and lots of love from me.
Andrew"

• Thanks 6
  • Sad 2

That is sad news but I really hope it's a temporary setback.

C'mon Andrew,  this is the long game. You've left that world of IM sprint nonsense, now you're in slow and steady ultra community. (we're way cooler 👍😉 )

Bugger Foz, hopefully they can get on top of it for you shortly and you can get back to rehabbing like a MF!!

Hang in there Foz.

It is amazing with all today's technology how often the medicos can't find a problem.  My BIL was recently in hospital for weeks with lung & breathing problems (very high eosinophil level - which is often caused by leukemia, or a lung infection or other things).  They did every test under the sun and while they knew what the problem was, could not find a cause. He is much better now, on prednisone though, but back doing his 5km runs.....which is more of a worry because last night here in Byron he went for a run in the dark and tried to get back into the wrong block of units 😆.

Thankfully not in America or he'd have been shot for sure! 

Never met anyone who can get lost like this bloke.

• Haha 1
22 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

last night here in Byron he went for a run in the dark and tried to get back into the wrong block of units 😆.

Thankfully not in America or he'd have been shot for sure! 

Never met anyone who can get lost like this bloke.

I did that in America in broad daylight back in the 90s. I'd been for a run and came back cooked, so took my shoes and socks off and jumped in the pool. Sat in the pool for a while in my running kit, then grabbed my shoes and went up in the elevator still dripping wet. Got to my floor and everything was in the wrong place - I was actually staying in the hotel next door 😂 

All the best Foz!

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Without having the Transitions Forum to look at over the past 6 weeks, since it's been down, he's probably had plenty of extra time to do all his physio & gym sessions... :lol:.  Keep up the great work Foz! :thumbsup:

• Like 1