Jump to content

Tennis and aust open 2021


Recommended Posts

I’m poor when someone under 30 does this. 

 

Bernard Tomic's girlfriend Vanessa Sierra has slammed the quarantine living conditions in Melbourne, revealing the pair have been unable to do any exercise whatsoever in the lead-up to the Australian Open.

Sierra uploaded a video to social media outlining the couple's experience and said they had been kept in the dark after multiple training sessions were cancelled at the last minute.

"I don't wash my own hair I've never washed my own hair. It's just not something that I do. I usually have hairdressers that do it twice a week for me."

 

6623D330-05CB-49A5-A88D-3CBC05804FAD.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I find the whole thing bizarre that allowances and exceptions are made (and in some cases support and charter flights provided) for the likes of Tom Hanks, Dannii Minogue, tennis players etc, yet there are tens of thousands of taxpayers and citizens not allowed to enter their own country!

And politicians playing politics against each other .... State against State, but not Mate against Mate! 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peter said:

I’m poor when someone under 30 does this. 

 

Bernard Tomic's girlfriend Vanessa Sierra has slammed the quarantine living conditions in Melbourne, revealing the pair have been unable to do any exercise whatsoever in the lead-up to the Australian Open.

Sierra uploaded a video to social media outlining the couple's experience and said they had been kept in the dark after multiple training sessions were cancelled at the last minute.

"I don't wash my own hair I've never washed my own hair. It's just not something that I do. I usually have hairdressers that do it twice a week for me."

 

6623D330-05CB-49A5-A88D-3CBC05804FAD.jpeg

I like the confidence of someone who is prepared to sit in a small room with Bernard Tomic for 5 minutes, let alone 2 weeks of quarantine, hoping that he's going to last anything more than the 1st or 2nd Round....

Seems a dud investment for my thinking!!!!

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

She plays 11 hours of Pokemon a day, he 12 hours of WoW or something.

I'm waiting for the announcement that the tournament is moving onto Nintendo Wii!

Yes, it's hard to feel sorry for them because of how much they make for just for turning up.

I have no idea, considering how Australia is trying to manage covid, why they are even staging the tournament.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, goughy said:

She plays 11 hours of Pokemon a day, he 12 hours of WoW or something.

I'm waiting for the announcement that the tournament is moving onto Nintendo Wii!

Yes, it's hard to feel sorry for them because of how much they make for just for turning up.

I have no idea, considering how Australia is trying to manage covid, why they are even staging the tournament.

The sad reality for these players is that they spend longer playing WoW / Pokemon / Whatever than they are ever likely to play in their chosen professions!!!

The GP couldn't justify it, but that is a business with a different cost model and they have agreed to reschedule for later in the year. I think what it has done is highlight the prima donna nature of tennis players (and some WAGs .... god I hate that term!) who seem to breathe a different air to us! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Rimmer said:

I find the whole thing bizarre that allowances and exceptions are made (and in some cases support and charter flights provided) for the likes of Tom Hanks, Dannii Minogue, tennis players etc, yet there are tens of thousands of taxpayers and citizens not allowed to enter their own country!

And politicians playing politics against each other .... State against State, but not Mate against Mate! 

And ... quoting myself here after a PM to me about this ... I don't need to come back to Australia.

I want to come back to Australia to see my aging Mum, my friends and even my brother and his family (don't ask). But when the Australian Embassy in Geneva seems to have been turned into a travel agency, offering $17,000 one-way, economy class flights, with 2 weeks quarantine in another part of Australia to where I need to get to (Canberra and I need Ballarat), with no guarantees that I won't get bumped in Singapore (I know of people now stuck there for weeks) and no guarantees that the internal borders (2) won't be closed and no guarantee of a return flight to my home / girlfriend / life / job ..... well, I wouldn't be getting on the plane in the first place! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in quarantine again this week. I have just emailed my boss demanding a house with a tennis court, twice weekly visits from a hair dresser and a low cut shirt to show off my cleavage in my Insta photos!

Based on my experience of quarantine last year the tennis players will lose quite a bit of fitness sitting around their hotel rooms. At a minimum they need to get them a treadmill to maintain some fitness. At the level these players are at, a small drop in fitness will have a big impact on their performance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Perfect preparation prevents piss poor performance"  Never has a saying been more apt.

If the tennis players were that concerned about the effects of being in quarantine, why didn't they come out a few weeks ago (i.e. early January).  Would have finished the Quarantine period now and be getting a good solid 2 weeks of training in before the Open.

Or in other words, Why leave it till the last minute and then complain like crazy when it all goes pear shaped?

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

"Perfect preparation prevents piss poor performance"  Never has a saying been more apt.

If the tennis players were that concerned about the effects of being in quarantine, why didn't they come out a few weeks ago (i.e. early January).  Would have finished the Quarantine period now and be getting a good solid 2 weeks of training in before the Open.

Or in other words, Why leave it till the last minute and then complain like crazy when it all goes pear shaped?

 

100% agree.  They obviously thought the rules would change and they wouldn’t need to quarantine.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, -- AJ -- said:

"Perfect preparation prevents piss poor performance"  Never has a saying been more apt.

If the tennis players were that concerned about the effects of being in quarantine, why didn't they come out a few weeks ago (i.e. early January).  Would have finished the Quarantine period now and be getting a good solid 2 weeks of training in before the Open.

Or in other words, Why leave it till the last minute and then complain like crazy when it all goes pear shaped?

 

Because the qualifiers were held in Doha early January? 

Australian Open 2021 men’s qualifying will take place at the Khalifa International Tennis and Squash Complex in Doha, Qatar from Sunday 10 to Wednesday 13 January.

The decision to host qualifying offshore is an innovative solution for the AO with 128 men to compete for sixteen qualifying spots in the Australian Open main draw to be held in Melbourne from 8-21 February.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, more said:

Because the qualifiers were held in Doha early January? 

Australian Open 2021 men’s qualifying will take place at the Khalifa International Tennis and Squash Complex in Doha, Qatar from Sunday 10 to Wednesday 13 January.

The decision to host qualifying offshore is an innovative solution for the AO with 128 men to compete for sixteen qualifying spots in the Australian Open main draw to be held in Melbourne from 8-21 February.

And the other 224+ players that had automatic qualification?

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

And the other 224+ players that had automatic qualification?

Aren't the players in lockdown those on the flights chartered from Doha and Abu Dhabi? I'd also hazard to guess many players who were automatically qualified played in the qualifiers for court time and prize money... It's not as if they play the qualifiers for free... 

Dunno just speculating.. 

 

Edited by more
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, more said:

Aren't the players in lockdown those on the flights chartered from Doha and Abu Dhabi? I'd also hazard to guess many players who were automatically qualified played in the qualifiers for court time and prize money... It's not as if they play the qualifiers for free... 

Dunno just speculating.. 

 

I think the "infected flights" came from the US.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Spanish female player who was one of those complaining about the "changing rules and unfairness" of the lockdown has returned a positive covid test and been moved and is feeling "unwell".  The lockdown rules seeming more the right move by the day.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Peter said:

Great piss take 

 

Aussie tennis player Ellen Perez takes down whingeing stars 

It is alright for her she is short. I tried doing laps in my bath this morning and my legs don't fit!

I escape from quarantine today. Going for a run in the morning and skiing in the arvo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't watch the interview but she has been isolating in Adelaide where they are allowed out of their rooms to train...her reaction might have been a little different if she had been confined to her room for 2 weeks...and in a room that is probably the size of her bedroom in Adelaide ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

So Djokovic was in the the group that were paid to go to Adelaide first, do their quarantine there, and then play and Adelaide tournament before travelling to Melbourne for the Aus Open. 

After coming out of quarantine, he withdrew, citing blisters on his hand..... (what did he get up to in quarantine?). 

The came on court mid-match and took over from the guy that filled in for him. Because of social media backlash. What a circus. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-29/tennis-players-emerge-from-quarantine-in-adelaide/13102072

_________________________________

Chaos has surrounded the start of Australia's summer of tennis, with world number one men's player Novak Djokovic taking to the court mid-match and then apologising to fans at Adelaide's Memorial Drive.

Djokovic was a very late withdrawal from the event because of blisters on his hand, and was replaced by Filip Krajinovic for the clash with Jannik Sinner.

But, after backlash from irate fans on social media, Djokovic emerged on court to take over, replacing Krajinovic after he won the first set 6-3.

The Serbian star was on court for about half an hour as he wrapped up the game, securing the second set 6-3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turts said:

After coming out of quarantine, he withdrew, citing blisters on his hand..... (what did he get up to in quarantine?). 

I wonder if he got blisters practicing that morning after two weeks with no tennis. My first post quarantine run I got a blister and I normally never get blisters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, goughy said:

Wasn't he in the Adelaide quarantine that could go out and practise?

yep, so yu'd think he would have been smart enough to not have blisters, or get his treatment before the opening game he was the headline for. 

Edited by Turts
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter said:

People love nick k 

 

CE8E93C7-C96E-4754-87AD-39259ABB7983.jpeg

well, at the moment they do. If i thought he was really smart, i would commend him as a work of genius for making Djokovic the villain, thus making himself as the hero.  This will be worth so much if they do meet each other. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When did they fall in love with Hewitt?  Was it when he was world no.1, and showing massive heart in Davis Cup?  

Disclaimer: I never had an issue with Hewitt.  Never followed tennis much at that time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Peter said:

This is why I love nick.  He is entertaining 

 

 

I think you can get away with a bit of swag if you are winning. sadly, they lost, and he lost. He aint no Hewitt. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to love Nick and you have to hate him. I like him because I want him to win as he has heaps of potential, but looking at it from someone with a tennis background, it annoys me that he does these stupid shots between his legs on big points and stuffs them up. Yeah it looks great when they come off, but there no shots off desperation ......these shots are all pre-meditated “show pony” shots. Yeah...the guys is a poser.

The other thing that annoys me is the under arm serve. Some might suggest it’s akin to the underarm bowling Trevor Chappell did in the day...sure it’s legal....but....

I don’t mind Nick doing these underarm shots...... but it’s so disrespectful to do it on a set point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/02/2021 at 11:31 PM, IronmanFoz said:

You have to love Nick and you have to hate him. I like him because I want him to win as he has heaps of potential, but looking at it from someone with a tennis background, it annoys me that he does these stupid shots between his legs on big points and stuffs them up. Yeah it looks great when they come off, but there no shots off desperation ......these shots are all pre-meditated “show pony” shots. Yeah...the guys is a poser.

The other thing that annoys me is the under arm serve. Some might suggest it’s akin to the underarm bowling Trevor Chappell did in the day...sure it’s legal....but....

I don’t mind Nick doing these underarm shots...... but it’s so disrespectful to do it on a set point.

But the reason the drop shot serve works for him is: 

(a) his typical 1st serve is north or 190km/h which pushes some returners (eg Thiem) metres behind the baseline (ie if they were doing an Andre Agassi and striking the return inside the baseline, they would comfortably reach it)

(b) he disguises it really well

Tactically not really that different to a ~150km/h slider out wide

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/02/2021 at 4:55 PM, goughy said:

When did they fall in love with Hewitt?  Was it when he was world no.1, and showing massive heart in Davis Cup?  

Disclaimer: I never had an issue with Hewitt.  Never followed tennis much at that time.

Pat Rafter and Newk halo effect back when we were doing well at Davis Cup 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...