Bike racing advice

There is lots of good advice on other threads, not obvious as its not about bike racing. Heaps people smarter than me (though that's easy to be). I am the ultimate dumb triathlete who races so badly its funny. 

Really enjoy Zwift as it forgives so much of that stupidity or lack of race craft. I've just gotten back to B and have been focussing on V02 efforts, stuff as hard as you can (Callums adivce try and get a few over 1000, well 800 will have to do) along with the TH type work.

On Zwift its just hammer, hang, hammer at the end if you are there or make a break if you can at the hill on Volcano. While a lot of race craft is removed, I find on Zwift I race like a mongrel, willing to go way into the hurt locker. At a crit I'll do one soft attack then go oh well not my day, I think I have mental issues with cycling (well I think I may just have issues.)

34 minutes ago, Callum Dalgleish McGregor said:

Id say realise no one cares and thats why when you rock up you should enjoy it. The other advice Id give is get a track bike, you have the Bundahome track just down the road and thats a great place to learn on its 333m and they have fixed the kick in the bend. 

That will make me popular, a track bike to go with the gravel, tt, roady, and beater bike and a return to MTB 😄

27 minutes ago, Callum Dalgleish McGregor said:

Just get divorced. Its easier although expensive. Binding financial agreements are a good idea. 

Cause being married is so cost effective!!

Getting back from holiday this week and planning to have a good crack racing twice a week

Marriage and relationships are over rated. Comically some people live a lie to keep up appearances and for the sake of the kids or because they need a security blanket/backstop or dont want to sell the house etc. Life is too short. Besides Im the first to admit a little bit of my company goes a very long way. I wish I could get away from myself occasionally, unfortunately no such luck. 

Bike riding and racing has grown in popularity, notably in the over 30's and 40's set. We have heaps of bunches and more people doing racing, 2020 saw an even greater increase.

Noticed that a lot of people who have been riding for 4 or 5 years like to dole out advice, become self appointed experts and in some cases don't race, but like to race every group ride where it suits them, regardless of the bunch  they are in.

Have adopted the ignore or look without expression at them through my expensive oversized eye wear, how do others deal with this behaviour? (either instant experts or arrogant old duded dismissing said expert with lance style stare)

18 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Have adopted the ignore or look without expression at them through my expensive oversized eye wear, how do others deal with this behaviour? (either instant experts or arrogant old duded dismissing said expert with lance style stare)

Drop em like it’s hot

Quickly STFU or just don’t come back when their limitations are evident for all to see

25 minutes ago, Mr Tinman said:

Drop em like it’s hot

Quickly STFU or just don’t come back when their limitations are evident for all to see

It's odd, I've never sought to offer unsolicted advice and just minded my own wheel and square meter. Recently lots of talk, lecturing going on and over calling of hazards.

The best one is "have you been riding long" anyway maybe I am just an awful rider in need of help, in the meantime I adopt the Lance to Jan look through even more ridiculous Sun glasses!!

One of the early 30's guys was moaning that the late 40's and early 50's guys must be on EPO because some of them are riding over the top of them.

• Haha 1
32 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

It's odd, I've never sought to offer unsolicted advice and just minded my own wheel and square meter. Recently lots of talk, lecturing going on and over calling of hazards.

The best one is "have you been riding long" anyway maybe I am just an awful rider in need of help, in the meantime I adopt the Lance to Jan look through even more ridiculous Sun glasses!!

One of the early 30's guys was moaning that the late 40's and early 50's guys must be on EPO because some of them are riding over the top of them.

We have a 60 year old who is still smashing the bunch. 

• Like 1

Where's Derney Driver when you need him?

Ask him about my last episode of comedies racing with the local club (several years ago now, itching to get back into it this year though)

3 lap scratch race in C grade

We're coming into the finish line and everyone is just sitting back waiting for someone to make a move....so I do.

Go flying around the outside from near the back straight to the front and then gap the field and cross the line first.....only to discover there is still one more lap to go! 

At least he got a good laugh out of it.

I think his exact words were something like "cant wait to see what you do next week!"

• Haha 1
56 minutes ago, Mr Tinman said:

Where's Derney Driver when you need him?

Ask him about my last episode of comedies racing with the local club (several years ago now, itching to get back into it this year though)

3 lap scratch race in C grade

We're coming into the finish line and everyone is just sitting back waiting for someone to make a move....so I do.

Go flying around the outside from near the back straight to the front and then gap the field and cross the line first.....only to discover there is still one more lap to go! 

At least he got a good laugh out of it.

I think his exact words were something like "cant wait to see what you do next week!"

Caught em napping though didn't ya? :lol:

Mate , I SMASHED em!

My first race was a handicapped race in D Grade.

Dragged the grade around until we were caught by B grade and then promptly dropped off the back and joined on to the back of C grade (who never caught the B's)

Then copped an ear full after the race from most of D Grade how I blew them all up. Yes, would have been much better to be caught 10k's earlier 😝

Also had another memorable race where Roxii came down one weekend.

I think we got chucked into C grade and a couple of clowns went full gas right off the start but not hard enough to gap the grade. Ended up this stupid surge/back off scenario where everyone except the first couple were really stretching the elastic band.

I popped and about 5 minutes later Roxii was riding back the wrong way, as slow as.

Turns out the road was so rough that his Garmin was ejected from his bars and he went back looking for it.

Needless to say, he never came back. Pussy!

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, Mr Tinman said:

Mate , I SMASHED em!

My first race was a handicapped race in D Grade.

Dragged the grade around until we were caught by B grade and then promptly dropped off the back and joined on to the back of C grade (who never caught the B's)

Then copped an ear full after the race from most of D Grade how I blew them all up. Yes, would have been much better to be caught 10k's earlier 😝

I think we got chucked into C grade and a couple of clowns went full gas right off the start but not hard enough to gap the grade. Ended up this stupid surge/back off scenario where everyone except the first couple were really stretching the elastic band.

I popped and about 5 minutes later Roxii was riding back the wrong way, as slow as.

Turns out the road was so rough that his Garmin was ejected from his bars and he went back looking for it.

Love these stories.  
some grades you are the hammer and others the nail.  Both are fun and there’s always a story after. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Callum Dalgleish McGregor said:

Lots of people improving their motors on indoor setups, unfortunately for them and moreso for people riding close to them this is only one part of the equation. 

Agree, there is a guy on my team who can drop a 12:30 up Norton Summit but can't hold a line in a crit race .He's always off the back & trying to hold on. 

1 hour ago, Callum Dalgleish McGregor said:

Lots of people improving their motors on indoor setups, unfortunately for them and moreso for people riding close to them this is only one part of the equation. 

So right.   My club is trying to change the way new people can race.

The rule has always been you race D grade which is a learning grade.  You do 15-20 minutes controlled rolling turns and then race for the next 25 plus 3 laps.

What is being proposed is you can't win money or awards for the first 4 races.  This is to stop the Zwift riders that have never raced from dropping the hammer and doing a TT off the front and win the cash.  They are encouraged to chase breaks or keep rolling turns to learn.

But the real reason is, they then go to C grade and can't TT off the front, struggle and then cause a crash.

Its even worse if they are really strong and then 3 week are up to B grade where they bump shoulders.  One bump, they are in shock and go down.

35 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Agree, there is a guy on my team who can drop a 12:30 up Norton Summit but can't hold a line in a crit race .He's always off the back & trying to hold on. 

Yeah, the bike racing thing is just not me either.  I just can't cope with the frequent changes of pace, surging etc.  Get into the red zone and I'm stuffed.  The steadier more measured effort of triathlon/TT type riding is what I prefer.

But regarding bike handling, both myself & my wife have had some miraculous escapes riding with 'proper cyclists'.  I'll never forget when my wife first got a new bike, first ride on it, we were riding with a bunch when the girl on her inside just inexplicably veered right and smacked my wifes front wheel.  I thought she was going down for sure but somehow she stayed upright.  Somehow she got a foot out and rode it like a motorcross rider.

Edited by ComfortablyNumb
5 hours ago, Callum Dalgleish McGregor said:

This was always my biggest concern when racing.

Most of my rides are solo and it didnt concern me if I crashed in a race (thats racing, but Id obviously prefer to stay upright!), but I did not want to be responsible for taking someone else out

Riding RAW at Dunc Gray helped a lot with that. Cant help but be close when riding on a velodrome, but it still means that I dont take advantage of gaps that others would as I dont feel confident enough.

Was always interesting to get chopped up by a 12 y/o at Dunc Gray. They little f**kers had no fear!

I’m in Bathurst and recently been doing The Renshaws Pedal Project shop ride, which, I guess, because Mark Renshaw leads the group, has attracted a lot of experienced and newbie riders, young and old. The first time their was about 50 riders in the peloton riding 2 abreast on open country roads and I was pretty nervous as I’d never ridden with so many before. It was a challenge mentally and physically to hang on especially when they really turned it on but the experience is worth it and certainly improves your concentration and reflexes.

18 hours ago, fiftyplus said:

I’m in Bathurst and recently been doing The Renshaws Pedal Project shop ride, which, I guess, because Mark Renshaw leads the group, has attracted a lot of experienced and newbie riders, young and old. The first time their was about 50 riders in the peloton riding 2 abreast on open country roads and I was pretty nervous as I’d never ridden with so many before. It was a challenge mentally and physically to hang on especially when they really turned it on but the experience is worth it and certainly improves your concentration and reflexes.

Ive been wondering about that one mate. Are you going Tuesday night or the new one on Thursday morning to the dam? Im so fat every bunch ride is a struggle atm. 

18 hours ago, Mr Tinman said:

This was always my biggest concern when racing.

Most of my rides are solo and it didnt concern me if I crashed in a race (thats racing, but Id obviously prefer to stay upright!), but I did not want to be responsible for taking someone else out

Riding RAW at Dunc Gray helped a lot with that. Cant help but be close when riding on a velodrome, but it still means that I dont take advantage of gaps that others would as I dont feel confident enough.

Was always interesting to get chopped up by a 12 y/o at Dunc Gray. They little f**kers had no fear!

I started riding track in 2005 in my 40s ... and got chopped up all the time by some little turd called Caleb :(

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Callum Dalgleish McGregor said:

Ive been wondering about that one mate. Are you going Tuesday night or the new one on Thursday morning to the dam? Im so fat every bunch ride is a struggle atm. 

I’ve been doing the Tuesday night at 6pm, weather dependant. It’s not a long ride, for me around 35km but my average speed goes up significantly. Everyone is welcome, even old farts like me at 67yo and Mark and his staff from the shop call the shots. It’s not a race as such but it can get fast and furious on the return, so you have to be aware of what’s going on and allow for a mix of riders. It can break up into a couple of groups and I’m usually in the slower group, but they regroup later on and all ride home together

Where do you live, as we have some come from Orange just for the ride. Mark has been a great asset to the cycling community here with his involvement and sponsoring of events.

On 18/01/2021 at 4:37 PM, Mr Tinman said:

Effing goat track. Makes Roubaix look like hotmix. 

• Haha 1