RIP the Kurnell Tri? Is it really the end?

So tomorrow (10th Jan) was supposed to be the Kurnell worlds, postponed from Nov and ultimately cancelled. I did want to do one more triathlon of some description and had actually entered this way back when it was first advertised and then postponed had a cunning 16 week weight loss plan devised but like that it seems this much loved event has gone the way of the do do bird. I suppose if I get of the grog and the meds I can still lose weight but will we ever see your face again?? Im thinking of a song here.... and dont like the chorus Im hearing :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
34 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Triathlons are getting harder to run and costing an awful lot.

Our club runs them on semi open roads 750-18-5 distances for approx $1000 with volunteers.  

6 tris a season. 

a tri was just held at mount Macedon for free. Just had to submit permits.  

I don’t understand why one isn’t run at west head.  Other than it wouldn’t be easy and flat.  Simple to close the road at the turn off to it.  

swim. Long run to T1.  Bike and bush run. 

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

Our club runs them on semi open roads 750-18-5 distances for approx $1000 with volunteers.  

6 tris a season. 

a tri was just held at mount Macedon for free. Just had to submit permits.  

I don’t understand why one isn’t run at west head.  Other than it wouldn’t be easy and flat.  Simple to close the road at the turn off to it.  

swim. Long run to T1.  Bike and bush run. 

That's good to hear. Have said many times to TACT that the answer is easy to access and run events like this, that we used to run which are all run and done by about 830 on a Sunday morning.

47 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Triathlons are getting harder to run and costing an awful lot.

That they are, especially in Sydney. You pretty much have to fully close a road to make it safe, and Kurnell is getting more and more built up. Also the closer to the city you get the more people you disrupt. Over the years of being involved as an athlete, volunteer, TO, area director (bike, transition) or race director. The displaced have gotten more and more aggro towards us.

I have some stories just a few - pedestrians abusing volunteers or TOs as we stopped them from crossing (for their own safety). Being abused by drivers on the bike course in 2016 at Foster for club champs, the team swore to never volunteer again. I was a TO on Saturday and I heard the regatta staff over the radio saying that a group needing to access the boat area were getting aggro with the staff as they were going to be delayed by a 5 minutes while they had to wait for safe passage. 

Haven't been on the site for a while but was just having a scroll.....

I have a Q or perhaps an assumption (apologies if it's blindingly obvious to everyone else): CDM is the welcome reincarnation of TUv5.0?

If so, welcome back. If not then TU definitely has a doppelganger based on the tone, excellent advice and clear depth of experience.

• Like 2

So all or most triathlons in NSW are out of Sydney, as in if you lived in Sydney, you'd have to travel a fair bit to get to a race?

24 minutes ago, zed said:

So all or most triathlons in NSW are out of Sydney, as in if you lived in Sydney, you'd have to travel a fair bit to get to a race?

Yes, been like that for a while now.  Took about 2 hrs to drive to Penrith for a sprint.  It was over an hour to Kurnell.  And they were sprints.  The Gong was the only Oly nearby...

Yup, Penrith is a 45min-1h drive from where we are in Rhodes (depending on time of day). So looking at a 2 hour round trip as well as tolls. Regular racing is sprint distance.

• Hills have 5 or 6 races open sanctioned so anyone can play (we can physically get up to 300, but are limited to 250 or less due to COVID). 
  • PTC have 4 or 5 races club sanctioned so a limit of 150 applies.
  • FilOz have one triathlon a year I think, usually club sanctioned, so again a 150 limit.

Once a year they have Nepean and WS70.3, but nothing regular above sprint. Getting times and dates is super painful. Most of the clubs negotiate AFTER everyone else, then we have to factor in other major race weekends where we just don't get the numbers to make it viable. Especially for Hills, as we need to hire a water safety team, which does not come cheap, Regatta Centre is not cheap to rent either. Just got the last bill :o 

John Holt used to run a series at Heffron Park back in the 90s. Very handy having a cycle track next to a suitable body of water, not sure where else we'd have that

Tri pink used to be at Olympic Park, although I doubt venue hire would have been on the cheap side...

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Tri pink used to be at Olympic Park, although I doubt venue hire would have been on the cheap side...

I spoke to the event director on that one, was cancelled due to COVID-19 mostly competitor limits and border closures (they are in QLD). Should be back this year hopefully. And yes, not cheap. That one also requires road closures and traffic plans, although Olympic Park is a bit of a wasteland outside of event days. Perfect place to take a new rider. Next to no cars or pedestrians to dodge! I use it on my long runs.

• Like 1

The Robina tri last weekend in the Gold coast was cancelled due to the Brisbane lockdown.  While it technically didn't include the Gold coast, so many of the participants were affected they had to can it.  They had already started all the setup, and posted it's cancellation as they were starting to pack it all up.

4 minutes ago, MissJess said:

.... although Olympic Park is a bit of a wasteland outside of event days. Perfect place to take a new rider. Next to no cars or pedestrians to dodge! I use it on my long runs.

I beg to differ...   Perfectly safe place to take a new rider if you are using the paths, but not if you want to use the road including the bike lanes on the side.  It used to be quite safe - I was a member of LACC and we used to have a circuit around around the park were we would do pacelines at 6am.  That became too dangerous as more and more cars came through the park.  It became a bit of a rat run for people to avoid traffic on Paramatta Road.  Then at weekends whenever there was any games on or car shows, it became even more dangerous as cars would swerve across bike lanes to try and beat the lights and get into the parking lots at the stadiums.  So maybe it was a wasteland 10 years ago, but it far from one now...