Where does the US go from here?

Some small mercies at the end of a terrible day. From the guardian blog:

Trump’s social media aide Dan Scavino has tweeted a “Statement by President Donald J. Trump on the Electoral Certification”: 

Even though I totally disagree with the outcome of the election, and the facts bear me out*, nevertheless there will be an orderly transition on January 20th. I have always said we would continue our fight to ensure that only legal votes were counted. While this represents the end of the greatest first term in presidential history, it’s only the beginning of our fight to Make America Great Again!”

*The facts do not bear Trump out.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought this one was quite good  

This was not a protest. it wasn’t even a riot. Iron Jimbo and more’s identification with reactionary white nativism is as blatant as it is predictable and deplorable. Their false equivalence

One of my favs 

Posted Images

Our Aussie Trump:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jan/07/scott-morrison-refuses-to-condemn-trump-for-inciting-distressing-violence-in-us-capitol

Compare his weasel words and antics with the statement of a proper conservative (this might provide guidance for Jimbo: conservatives don’t need white sheets or MAGA hats):

“The UK home secretary, Priti Patel, said Donald Trump’s incendiary remarks directly provoked the violence witnessed in the US Capitolas she urged him to condemn it.

“His comments directly led to the violence and so far he has failed to condemn that violence – and that is completely wrong,” she said.

She said the departing president’s statement, in which he said “we love you” to the rioters, and repeated his unproven claims of electoral fraud did “very little to de-escalate the situation”.

“He basically has made a number of comments yesterday that helped to fuel that violence and he didn’t do anything to de-escalate that whatsoever,” she told BBC Breakfast.”

Edited by Andrew #1
25 minutes ago, goughy said:

In September, his call to the proud boys to stand back and stand by.  It may have been building for longer than them, but this was when he directly set in motion today's events.

No one is confused about who and how this all started.

Oh FFS 

He had no idea who the hell the proud boys were.  Meanwhile in the same debate Joe Biden dismissed antifa as nothing more than an "idea"

Today's events were set in motion by months of BLM riots being dismissed as "mostly peaceful demonstrations" 

9 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Our Aussie Trump:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jan/07/scott-morrison-refuses-to-condemn-trump-for-inciting-distressing-violence-in-us-capitol

Compare his weasel words and antics with the statement of a proper conservative (this might provide guidance for Jimbo: conservatives don’t need white sheets or MAGA hats):

“The UK home secretary, Priti Patel, said Donald Trump’s incendiary remarks directly provoked the violence witnessed in the US Capitolas she urged him to condemn it.

“His comments directly led to the violence and so far he has failed to condemn that violence – and that is completely wrong,” she said.

She said the departing president’s statement, in which he said “we love you” to the rioters, and repeated his unproven claims of electoral fraud did “very little to de-escalate the situation”.

“He basically has made a number of comments yesterday that helped to fuel that violence and he didn’t do anything to de-escalate that whatsoever,” she told BBC Breakfast.”

She is just as entitled to be wrong as you are

33 minutes ago, goughy said:

No one is confused about who and how this all started.

I'm sure most are aware of how it started, but my point was actually more that his direct incitement of this group to act illegally, resulted in someone's death. The USA has laws covering this situation, and should justify his immediate removal from office.

17 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

He had no idea who the hell the proud boys were

Sure. Sure. 

oh, and care to explain where exactly Priti Petel is wrong?

I watched all this live today and from what I saw trump say and do she is on the money. 

Aussie. Aussie. Aussie. Oi. Oi. Oi.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2021/01/how-australia-helped-pave-the-way-for-the-us-insurrection/

Riddle me this Jimbo: should the Reichfuhrer Kartoffelkop cancel the Australian citizenship of any terrorist caught up in this insurrection? Seems only fair, given the strong action his government has taken against our salafist plague ...

Here’s another pickle for Jimbo:

Should Trump sack Pence for showing personal disloyalty and replace him with Sarah Palin for a glorious 14 days?

Should Pence and the cabinet remove Trump for ... sedition, treason and failing to defend the constitution? 

It’s a pickle isn’t it? 

What does a true conversation do in such troubled times?

15 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Sure. Sure. 

oh, and care to explain where exactly Priti Petel is wrong?

I watched all this live today and from what I saw trump say and do she is on the money. 

Petel's hatred is affecting her objectivity 

As is yours

1 minute ago, Andrew #1 said:

Here’s another pickle for Jimbo:

Should Trump sack Pence for showing personal disloyalty and replace him with Sarah Palin for a glorious 14 days?

Should Pence and the cabinet remove Trump for ... sedition, treason and failing to defend the constitution? 

It’s a pickle isn’t it? 

What does a true conversation do in such troubled times?

No, and no

Do you have any difficult questions? 

12 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Aussie. Aussie. Aussie. Oi. Oi. Oi.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2021/01/how-australia-helped-pave-the-way-for-the-us-insurrection/

Riddle me this Jimbo: should the Reichfuhrer Kartoffelkop cancel the Australian citizenship of any terrorist caught up in this insurrection? Seems only fair, given the strong action his government has taken against our salafist plague ...

For someone who thinks Trump is unhinged, you're posting some particularly ripe bullshit tonight... 

3 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Do you have like actual values and principles? Or are you just a blow hard for whitey?

Well I'm not a laywer 

So yes, I have principles 

44 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Oh FFS 

He had no idea who the hell the proud boys were. 

That’s not true. Trump watched and commented about a 30 min special Fox did on the Proud Boys 5 days before he said “stand down and stand by” during the presidential debate.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mike Del said:

That’s not true. Trump watched and commented about a 30 min special Fox did on the Proud Boys 5 days before he said “stand down and stand by” during the presidential debate.

Let me guess- according to 'unnamed sources?'

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Let me guess- according to 'unnamed sources?'

Is that your go to when you paint yourself into a corner IJ ?

Try Trumps own Twitter account. You do follow don’t you IJ lol

1 minute ago, Mike Del said:

Is that your go to when you paint yourself into a corner IJ ?

Try Trumps own Twitter account. You do follow don’t you IJ lol

If you can't source your claim, just say so

8 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Our Aussie Trump:

I don’t know what is worse, the guardians reporting of such crap or your quoting of it. Condemning Scomo because according to the Guardian, he hasn’t said the right words according to them. I have no doubt tomorrow he will be lambasted because his tie didn’t match his shoes. 

And really, quoting the Guardian and Gizmodo on all your posts here, I feel embarrassed for you 

Edited by Prince
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Our Aussie Trump:

you must be so proud of the Labor Party ! This was tweeted yesterday.  

ZQNPUr-z_x96.png

It's the company you keep.

Then there are those that thought they were beyond the law doing a break and enter and also destruction of property and possession of unlicensed weapons.  And their federal laws aren’t soft. Some will go to jail for some time id assume. 

Authorities on Thursday announced they are now in the process of tracking down at least 36 suspects - in addition to the 81 already arrested - who scaled the Senate and House Chambers, ruined statues, fired tear gas and smashed buildings on Wednesday in chaotic scenes. 

The suspects, are wanted on a slew of charges including inciting a riot and weapons charges - and the Department of Justice has promised to bring them all before the courts.

Some of the assailants have already been identified through social media - such as the horned QAnon 'Shaman' Jake Angeli and a MAGA fan whose marketing company fired him when they spotted his work lanyard around his neck - but the rest are wanted by law enforcement, and a huge manhunt has been launched across DC and the country. 

798A1A5B-3A07-46D6-883D-4191B955BE02.jpeg

10 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

No, and no

Do you have any difficult questions? 

The question appears more difficult than you thought when making that trite comment. Pelosi seeking the 25 th and impeachment if that is not forthcoming.

Even Lindsay Graham has said enough is enough, when will it be enough for you?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/01/06/trump-is-guilty-sedition-impeach-him-again/

• Like 1

Watching the video of the woman trying to climb through the broken glass window and being shot, can't help thinking it was a suicide mission.  A martyr for Trump job?

Not a good advertisement for US military training either - sitting duck.

Seems to me the security detail behind the barricade had no choice.  She looked like getting through and could have been packing a weapon/IED.  Their job is to protect the pollies & staff.

• Like 1

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2021/01/06/trump-unleashed-mob-violence-capitol-remove-him-now-column/6567886002/

Except when the mob are mainly white racists, you get charged with trespass!! Play out the scenario where Osama had gotten people to do the same thing, how this would be discussed and responded to!

The entire city would have helicopter gun ships all elements of National Security on a man hunt with the Va,MD, DC area completly locked down under Police and Military command

26 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2021/01/06/trump-unleashed-mob-violence-capitol-remove-him-now-column/6567886002/

Except when the mob are mainly white racists, you get charged with trespass!! Play out the scenario where Osama had gotten people to do the same thing, how this would be discussed and responded to!

The entire city would have helicopter gun ships all elements of National Security on a man hunt with the Va,MD, DC area completly locked down under Police and Military command

I agree I'm amazed how little resistance to the mob occurred but I'm not sure what to make of it-are the people whos responsibility to defend the capital all Trump sympathizers, or did they get a message to let it play out as they knew it would look very bad for Trump and all involved?

I honestly don't know? Maybe they are sympathizers as many of the Trump side defend the police, as opposed to the whole defund the police thing by the dems...?

Also not that it really matters but bare in mind the vast majority of trouble makers in Portland were also white...ANITFA goons taking advantage of the situation.

Edited by more
  • Like 1
48 minutes ago, more said:

I agree I'm amazed how little resistance to the mob occurred but I'm not sure what to make of it-are the people whos responsibility to defend the capital all Trump sympathizers, or did they get a message to let it play out as they knew it would look very bad for Trump and all involved?

I honestly don't know? Maybe they are sympathizers as many of the Trump side defend the police, as opposed to the whole defund the police thing by the dems...?

Also not that it really matters but bare in mind the vast majority of trouble makers in Portland were also white...ANITFA goons taking advantage of the situation.

In fairness to the Capitol Police,  they were never in a position to stop that mob, controlling it as best they could while giving time for the Secret Service to fall back and protect was the best they could do.

But, given the lead up to this day, you would think the respective security agencies would have prepared for a troubled day and been ready to support the Capitol Police.

Portland needed to be effectively policed and was not. The attack yesterday was a step up though, it was an act of sedition to stop the democratic process and will off the people, also it was an act of terror.

I know people like imagine this. What happens if that had been Hezbollah or ISIS carrying out those acts we saw, ho would it be described and how would it be responded to? (It is fair to ask same of Portland)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Prince said:

I don’t know what is worse, the guardians reporting of such crap or your quoting of it. Condemning Scomo because according to the Guardian, he hasn’t said the right words according to them. I have no doubt tomorrow he will be lambasted because his tie didn’t match his shoes. 

And really, quoting the Guardian and Gizmodo on all your posts here, I feel embarrassed for you 

I’m sorry for posting media articles from outside the Rupeverse. It must come as a shock to a Queenslander that there is a modicum of diversity. ...

even if you can’t cope with the commentary, how about dealing with the actual quotes from the conservative politicians? All you have is deflection. Just like more and Jimbo. Guardian bad. Boo. Yadda yadda. Hopeless. 

anyhoo, here’s another article from outside the Rupeverse. This one from Peter Costello’s 9-Faix conglomerate.I bet you can’t attend to the actual points in this one either. 

https://www.smh.com.au/national/there-s-a-lot-of-blame-to-go-around-for-the-chaos-in-the-capitol-but-some-belongs-to-australia-20210107-p56sfg.html

Antifa. Antifa. Deflect. Deflect. Squark, squark!

15 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

I’m sorry for posting media articles from outside the Rupeverse. It must come as a shock to a Queenslander that there is a modicum of diversity. ...

even if you can’t cope with the commentary, how about dealing with the actual quotes from the conservative politicians? All you have is deflection. Just like more and Jimbo. Guardian bad. Boo. Yadda yadda. Hopeless. 

anyhoo, here’s another article from outside the Rupeverse. This one from Peter Costello’s 9-Faix conglomerate.I bet you can’t attend to the actual points in this one either. 

https://www.smh.com.au/national/there-s-a-lot-of-blame-to-go-around-for-the-chaos-in-the-capitol-but-some-belongs-to-australia-20210107-p56sfg.html

Everyone on both sides have condemned these acts. What I will say though is its a shame the same condemnation did not occur with what happened with Portland...violent protests should always be condemned but in Portland you actually had dem politicians condoning the riots, AOC was posting tips on how to not get caught-to cover up identifiable tattoos etc.

How do you create unity without a unified response to violence?

Edited by more
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

The question appears more difficult than you thought when making that trite comment. Pelosi seeking the 25 th and impeachment if that is not forthcoming.

Even Lindsay Graham has said enough is enough, when will it be enough for you?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/01/06/trump-is-guilty-sedition-impeach-him-again/

Pelosi somehow hates Trump even more than you do.  Of course she's going to call for his impeachment

Throwing labels like sedition and treason around is even more ridiculous than impeaching a President for doing his job

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Hasn’t Peter asked u to do this? I thought your answer was “I don’t respond to trolls”

Peter asks for evidence of common knowledge as a stalling/badgering tactic

That's what trolls do

"Please, show me where it says that protests are supposed to be polite and peaceful. Because I can show you that outraged citizens are what made the country what she is and led to any major milestone. To be honest, this is not a tranquil time."

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/06/04/cnns_chris_cuomo_who_says_protests_are_supposed.html

Oh, look.  A disgusting double standard from the leftist press

Whatever next? 

18 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Peter asks for evidence of common knowledge as a stalling/badgering tactic

That's what trolls do

You just wrote exactly what trolls do to justify their trolling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

...a President for doing his job

Unless playing golf was in his job description, some might suggest that he hasn't done his job for at least the last 12 months.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, -- AJ -- said:

Unless playing golf was in his job description, some might suggest that he hasn't done his job for at least the last 12 months.

Yes, there has been quite a lot of discussion about the lengths some people will go to in order to justify their hatred 

55 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

it is just so sad that you see the events of yesterday as a labor vs liberal debate, and I thought lawyers were meant to have some intelligence.  And You can tell Albo is just so desperate, I mean, that tweet yesterday of a pic of Scomo with the US president from 2 years ago, was a new low. Looks like they have leant nothing from their last election spanking. 

Edited by Prince
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Yes, there has been quite a lot of discussion about the lengths some people will go to in order to justify their hatred 

or their love

I dont know why Im surprised by the level of delusion in this thread.

The world has truly gone to shit and people - on both sides- continue to defend their cult leaders like it is some kind of suicide pact

Im really concerned for the future my children (and hopefully one day, grandchildren) will inherit.

No one is willing to listen or debate. They simply shout each other down and attack anyone that doesn't agree with them.

Scary shit and I dont know where it will all end, but unless there is some kind of circuit breaker, its not going to end well for anyone

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, Mr Tinman said:

The world has truly gone to shit and people - on both sides- continue to defend their cult leaders like it is some kind of suicide pact

Im really concerned for the future my children (and hopefully one day, grandchildren) will inherit.

No one is willing to listen or debate. They simply shout each other down and attack anyone that doesn't agree with them.

Scary shit and I dont know where it will all end, but unless there is some kind of circuit breaker, its not going to end well for anyone

You should be concerned.  I am

But for people to pretend that this division started with Trump is ridiculous.  It's been building for decades at this point 

Perhaps the divide might not be quite as wide if one side didn't dismiss the other as a bunch of uneducated, racist, sexist, homophobic bigots who don't deserve to be listened to 

42 minutes ago, Mr Tinman said:

I know, and if we have our knickers this much in a twist on a tri forum in Australia what is the level of animosity like in the US. 
Scary shit.