IM Training with a 2 year old

Looking to hear from anyone who may have undergone IM training with a young one? 

• How did you find it?
  • How many hours per week did you do?
  • When did you get your training in?
  • I'm not out to break any records, just get through the course with as little suffering as possible, get fit, give myself a 40th birthday present and lose some of the post baby weight I've gained (I'm male - hahaha)

I've spoken to the partner and we've agreed that mornings are the best, so 2 hours weekday mornings, and then could look at 4-5 hours on weekends for long rides, runs and brick sessions So peak weak would be 20 hours. However last night the little one was awake from 12-2.30am and when I woke up at 6am for a trainer ride I was wrecked, so going to have to do it tonight after she goes down to sleep (approx 8pm)

Currently only in base training mode, but concerned when the actual 'proper' training commences.

Targeting Cairns (22 weeks away) 

I've thought about perhaps the 70.3 as it would be less hours, and that may be an option, but would prefer the IM.

Thanks in advance!

If you are not looking to break any records - complete not compete - I do not think that you need a peak week of 20 hours.

Long ride (build up to 180km) and long run (build up to 32+km) on the weekend. 1hr to 1.5hr sessions each day (swim or bike or run).

Can you commute to work (cycle or run) to increase your training and reduce wasted commute time.

Your kids are only young once. Spending time with the family is more important than doing a lot of extra training to take 1 hour off your IM time.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

Your kids are only young once. Spending time with the family is more important than doing a lot of extra training to take 1 hour off your IM time.

This is very true but when they’re asleep I’m not sure they notice you aren’t there 😄

2 year old is okay. I did my best IM with a one and three year old.  Now they are 6 and 8 it is harder as it's now time for the sports and social stuff but here goes:

Less specific now 20 plus weeks out to more specific I started with 12 weeks:

Bike 5 times per week, long ride 3 to 4 hours, aiming for 4 hours, ride other 4 times 1 to 2 hours

Of those other rides 2 as intensity, one focussed on working above TH with recovery for around an hour and the second a consistent effort below TH.

Run 5 times per week 45-60 minutes with a long run of 1:15 and two interval sets one on TH stuff and the other V02

Swim 3-4

On the low side that is:

8 hours riding

3 hours of swim

and 5 of running 

=16

If you get creative scheduling it you can actually do a lot more

Ride 3 times in the week 5 am ride for 2 hours

Ride Sat and Sun Sat do the 4 hours and Sun back up for an easy 3

Run lunch except say Wednesday when you do the long run in the morning

Swim 2 squads and then throw in an extra weekend swim

You get 20 per week without too much hassle

In the IM part next 12 weeks follow same model with the long run and long bike getting longer for Im and intervals progressing to 90 min at 85% in your long ride of 5 to 6 hours.

That's all doable with a youngster depends on where you are starting from what you have going on in your life and what you want to achieve, but most days you are at home by 7:15 even with a sneaky coffee, run at lunch and two nights you go out for a swim squad where you will be tired but its mostly aerobic so you will be fine slogging through

2 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

If you are not looking to break any records - complete not compete - I do not think that you need a peak week of 20 hours.

Long ride (build up to 180km) and long run (build up to 32+km) on the weekend. 1hr to 1.5hr sessions each day (swim or bike or run).

Can you commute to work (cycle or run) to increase your training and reduce wasted commute time.

Definitely could use the commute as training, Its about 20KM each way.  Would need to have a shower at work. Might be easier to just set up the trainer the night before and hop on that first thing, have a shower and then head out the door to work. Definitely something to think about

2 hours ago, truck said:

This is very true but when they’re asleep I’m not sure they notice you aren’t there 😄

True.  But it can also be helpful/appreciated if you're helping out with the "flow ons" from the kid such as washing,  cleaning etc or even just spending kid free time with the missus..

Whatever you do you'll need flexibility cos kids don't give a rats tossbag about your training plans and seem to do anything to throw spanner in the works.. not sleeping,  illnesses,  etc and sometimes better to just can the planned workout rather than try and make it up. 

I have done 3 Ironman's when kids in the 2-5 year age group. Started with the morning training as that was all the advice- it didn't work for us with inconsistent kids wake up or older kid waking very early. Commutes and the trainer were the base of my training- I am very lucky to have pools close to work so swimming and runs were at lunch. I'd advise against the long weekend sessions on the bike and look for ways for 2 a day sessions mid week to get the required work. Pencil 3 long rides days with family now (i.e 7, 5,3 weeks out) and in your mind knowing they are coming will help ease the anxiety of not going long and that will get you in good enough shape.  Looks up MKC Youtube on 2 a day bike for inspiriation and how to do. 

I can keep very fit on a consistent 8-10 hours a week and a 6 week bigger build of 12 hours gets me through an Ironman. All my issues in training inconsistency, not being a good dad or husband has come when I try and squeeze 'another' session in here or there above the 10 hours. 

• How did you find it? - fine except where I tried to push for more hours. 
  • How many hours per week did you do? ~10 hours average for 12 week prior, 6-8 hours average outside that 
  • When did you get your training in? Lunch, evenings trainer or commutes. 
  • Like 1

Yep done it. I remember riding home & seeing my wife driving down the road with my daughter in the car & all her stuff packed as she was leaving...... 

My advice is as above. Complete don't compete. It's ok to miss a session to support your wife. Let her know you are going to skip a session to help her. Not to make her feel guilty but to let her know you are making family your priority. 

Train solo & from home as much as you can. Time driving to sessions is wasted. 

My wife hated that I was out spending time with mates while she was stuck at home looking after the child. 

DON"T TALK ABOUT TRAINING & IRONMAN ALL THE TIME.  

• Like 4
2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

2 year old is okay. I did my best IM with a one and three year old.  Now they are 6 and 8 it is harder as it's now time for the sports and social stuff but here goes:

Less specific now 20 plus weeks out to more specific I started with 12 weeks:

Bike 5 times per week, long ride 3 to 4 hours, aiming for 4 hours, ride other 4 times 1 to 2 hours

Of those other rides 2 as intensity, one focussed on working above TH with recovery for around an hour and the second a consistent effort below TH.

Run 5 times per week 45-60 minutes with a long run of 1:15 and two interval sets one on TH stuff and the other V02

Swim 3-4

On the low side that is:

8 hours riding

3 hours of swim

and 5 of running 

=16

If you get creative scheduling it you can actually do a lot more

Ride 3 times in the week 5 am ride for 2 hours

Ride Sat and Sun Sat do the 4 hours and Sun back up for an easy 3

Run lunch except say Wednesday when you do the long run in the morning

Swim 2 squads and then throw in an extra weekend swim

You get 20 per week without too much hassle

In the IM part next 12 weeks follow same model with the long run and long bike getting longer for Im and intervals progressing to 90 min at 85% in your long ride of 5 to 6 hours.

That's all doable with a youngster depends on where you are starting from what you have going on in your life and what you want to achieve, but most days you are at home by 7:15 even with a sneaky coffee, run at lunch and two nights you go out for a swim squad where you will be tired but its mostly aerobic so you will be fine slogging through

A lot to digest!

At the moment its just 1 session a day to build up my base. I'm currently tipping the scales at 87kgs, and prob 10kgs heavier than I should be. 

I'm thinking something like:

• Mon - Strength
  • Tues - Bikram (need this for the body and mind)
  • Wed - Ride
  • Thur - Run
  • Fri - Swim
  • Sat - Long Ride / Brick
  • Sun - Long Run / possible afternoon swim

So that's 2 runs, 2 rides and 1 swim per week, with the 1st ride and run being something a bit more high intensity as well as aerobic.  Which would equate to around 10 hours per week. I don't think that's enough...

I could look at adding a second session on Wednesday (Run or Swim at lunch), Thursday (Swim at lunch), Friday (Run at lunch), but I know that I'm not going to hit 100% of sessions given interrupted sleep with a toddler

4 hours ago, Suburban Kid said:

Looking to hear from anyone who may have undergone IM training with a young one? 

Minimum age to race an Ironman is 18, so probably not worth it for them doing all that training unless they really love it. Maybe just train for this one solo and get them involved when they are older.

• Haha 3
16 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Train solo & from home as much as you can. Time driving to sessions is wasted. 

This.  The only session I'd regularly do with a group is swim squad and that was because I was a crap swimmer with no motivation.  Everything else was by myself and done to fit in with family/work - might not be optimal but everything ends up being a compromise.

• Like 2

I would do my long run midweek.

Then one day in weekend off as recovery/family day. This day was wife sleep in morning. I would take child out, running in buggy or to somewhere dad/child bonding to playground etc.

Long ride was early start back by 10am or to arrive at play date location. 

• Like 1

We are older parents and were pretty settled about how things would fit before we had kids ( Mrs FP encouraged me to go on a training camp in Mallorca when Little one was 8wks old, that's how much she hates me 🤣 ).

It's doable but will depend on a few things:

Your work and your ability to 'leave it at the door'. Mental stress from work can be tiring, especially if it spills over to home time/life.

Your wife's support. (rather than tolerance)

Your support to your wife and child (rather than tolerance)

Your ability to love the turbo (and its quietness)

Be honest about your goals. If it really is to complete, you'll need nowhere near 20hrs. If you are building swim and run base from nothing, then it may be harder (and don't underestimate how tiring the logistics of SBR can be).

When I looked at my plans for IM Wales, which I trained for 3 times. (DNF'd once but that was nothing to do with lack of training). My genuine training hours, ie: not counting changing, faffing, coffee stops or anything, just moving time, were all between 7.8hrs and 11.3hrs per week.  This was based on just two swims of approx 40mins p/w.

That resulted in 2 completed IMs of 15.45 and 14.28. (but this is Wales, so you can take about 4.5hrs off of that for any other course 😅 )

Most importantly, IM training with a young kid - make sure you have a really really good washing machine!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Bosco said:

I have done 3 Ironman's when kids in the 2-5 year age group. Started with the morning training as that was all the advice- it didn't work for us with inconsistent kids wake up or older kid waking very early. Commutes and the trainer were the base of my training- I am very lucky to have pools close to work so swimming and runs were at lunch. I'd advise against the long weekend sessions on the bike and look for ways for 2 a day sessions mid week to get the required work. Pencil 3 long rides days with family now (i.e 7, 5,3 weeks out) and in your mind knowing they are coming will help ease the anxiety of not going long and that will get you in good enough shape.  Looks up MKC Youtube on 2 a day bike for inspiriation and how to do. 

I can keep very fit on a consistent 8-10 hours a week and a 6 week bigger build of 12 hours gets me through an Ironman. All my issues in training inconsistency, not being a good dad or husband has come when I try and squeeze 'another' session in here or there above the 10 hours. 

• How did you find it? - fine except where I tried to push for more hours. 
  • How many hours per week did you do? ~10 hours average for 12 week prior, 6-8 hours average outside that 
  • When did you get your training in? Lunch, evenings trainer or commutes. 

This seems like good advice. I also think 20hrs is quite a lot. When I did Ironman I was single, young (25), had flexible hours, and was dedicated - and I had a few 20hr plus weeks I think. If you are just aiming to complete it seems overkill, and if you are wanting to go fast I'd suggest focusing on more specific training (like speed).

My ironman time was just under 11hrs. I got sick just before sadly, overtraining I'd say 😉 I honestly believe I would have gone faster with a bit less pushing of the limits. And my word was I sick after.

On an average of 9-12hrs per week in the four months before my last 70.3 I was able to do a 4:47 half at Geelong- 1:30 run, 2:35 bike.

3 hours ago, Suburban Kid said:

A lot to digest!

At the moment its just 1 session a day to build up my base. I'm currently tipping the scales at 87kgs, and prob 10kgs heavier than I should be. 

I'm thinking something like:

• Mon - Strength
  • Tues - Bikram (need this for the body and mind)
  • Wed - Ride
  • Thur - Run
  • Fri - Swim
  • Sat - Long Ride / Brick
  • Sun - Long Run / possible afternoon swim

So that's 2 runs, 2 rides and 1 swim per week, with the 1st ride and run being something a bit more high intensity as well as aerobic.  Which would equate to around 10 hours per week. I don't think that's enough...

I could look at adding a second session on Wednesday (Run or Swim at lunch), Thursday (Swim at lunch), Friday (Run at lunch), but I know that I'm not going to hit 100% of sessions given interrupted sleep with a toddler

Not sure a long run, preceded by a long ride/brick (so you will be shattered at this point) and then followed by a strength session is a good idea. Sounds like a way to injure yourself?  But then again I don't do weights in any case. At least one day where you do absolutely nothing would probably be good. For you and everyone else.

Good luck! 

Edited by dazaau
  • Like 1

My one and only IM (so far) was Ironman Melbourne 2013.  I had a 3.75 year old and 1.75 year old at the time of the race.

I expected them to be sleeping through by the time the race came when I entered as at that time entries sold out within minutes a year out!  They were far from sleeping through!

In the 14 weeks pre-race I averaged 7 hours a week training (no that is not a typo). Longest run I had ever done i was 23 km, longest in the build was 21 km, a lot of weeks my long run was 14-15km.

During the build there was one 108km, 3 x 80km rides. I had never ridden further than 110km in my life.  

Most of my training was evenings.  Swimming was staight after work and the others were evening after the kids were asleep.

Long run was mid week.  Long ride was weekend.  Training at lunch time was not an option with my work.

I was 31 on race day and still 5-10kg overweight.  Swim ended up being shortened, did a 12:15 which is probably around a 13 hour if the swim was full.  I had done Shepparton half just before the build started in about 5:30.

Main thing I would say is managing expectations and pacing can do a lot to cover for a lack of training! 

Not sure if all of that helps at all, but I guess I just wanted to point out that you don't need massive hours to complete and enjoy.  

Edited by Toolish
  • Like 3

My first IM (2015), I had a 4, 6, and 17 year old. I then did 2 more the following year. By then my hubby was over it. Sorry to sound sexist but I feel that you will get away with more because you are a father not a mother, so this is good news for you. 

I finished 3rd in my AG in Cairns, on 12-16hrs, so dial back that expectation of needing huge training hours. The ones that you do, have to count though. Every 3rd or 4th Saturday could be 5 hours, but don't do it every weekend. It sounds ok on paper, but your wife won't like it.

If your child wakes in the night occasionally, that's ok. Learn to train when you're tired. You're not going to feel chipper after a 180km ride, so learn to train through the shitty days and this will build your mental toughness for race days. Have a nap at lunch if you have a place you can hide. I took in one of those really thin air mattresses and napped for 20 mins behind my desk most days.

Decorate your training area with motivation- whatever does it for you. I printed and laminated quotes. Change your password on your computer at work to - "I can. I will" or something similar. 

Get a running pram. Your wife will love you even more. This can be your long run on the weekend or any run for that matter. Take snacks for your child and an iPad for emergency entertainment. If you take her/ him before breakfast, you'll get a good chunk of quiet time while he/she eats. Don't forget a water bottle for them! You could also bribe them with a play at the park on the way home if they stay quiet during the run! 

Get up early. 3:30 / 4am starts. Do a solid 2-3 hr session. I wouldn't worry about commuting to work. They sound like junk miles. Great if you've got the time, but you'd be better off spending that time eating breakfast with your wife, and training seriously when you do train. You won't push hard enough on the way to work, and you need to be mindful of cars, traffic lights, etc.  When you're training, you just want to focus on training. HOWEVER, if your commute is 30 mins and the bike ride there would only be 40 mins,  that would make sense to ride. If you're on a train to work, spend the time looking at your next session/past sessions,  etc so that you are not doing this during family time. 

Where do you have your bike trainer? Can you leave it set up permanently? It's only a couple of mins before and after, but it all adds up. Also, if you have an area where you can set up as your training area, keep your clothes, shoes, nutrition, everything there, so you don't wake your wife getting ready.  You should be able to have your alarm go off and be on the bike/out the door within 15 mins max. You don't need coffee. 

If you have a Garmin, set your alarm on this, not your phone, and have it just vibrate, not make a noise. That will wake you, but hopefully not your wife. 

If you have a lunch break,  swim or run then, and eat at your desk if you're allowed.... thats if you're not napping!

Swim on the way to or from work. It'll save the extra driving time, than if you were just driving to and from the pool.

It might also be handy to get a weekly planner and stick it on the fridge. This way you can both write on what you have planned for the week and you can maybe work around some of her appointments or organised outings.

Do whatever your wife wants to do the other 21 hrs of the day that you are not training. 

Godspeed my friend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
54 minutes ago, Cranky said:

If you have a Garmin, set your alarm on this, not your phone, and have it just vibrate, not make a noise. That will wake you, but hopefully not your wife. 

Great idea. 

• Like 1

I have 2 kids..... there re not 20 and 17.... and they have never missed n Ironman whilst they have been live. 

Not sure why you starting point is but aka fitness but what I found is that every training session I essentially gin’s the clock.

You CAN get by on 1 x training ride per week. My fastest ever ride at Forster was 5:15 on 1 ride per week.  

You CAN get by on minimal running and minimal swimming.

But best if you train early and late.

The earliest I ever got up was 03:00m.  

I ran home from work nd sometimes my long runs started feet kids went to bed ie; 9pm

you don’t need to be Selfish either despite what others think.

Ps: just because. Child comes. Long you don’t need to change your ways. I have seem folks who take time out of racing for 3-4 years because of. Newborn and they have all said they regret it years later.

My wife and I always said the kids need to fit into our lifestyle...... but they gain I do have. Really good wife.

• Like 1
On 07/01/2021 at 2:50 PM, Cranky said:

Get up early. 3:30 / 4am starts. Do a solid 2-3 hr session. I wouldn't worry about commuting to work. They sound like junk miles. Great if you've got the time, but you'd be better off spending that time eating breakfast with your wife, and training seriously when you do train. You won't push hard enough on the way to work, and you need to be mindful of cars, traffic lights, etc.  When you're training, you just want to focus on training. HOWEVER, if your commute is 30 mins and the bike ride there would only be 40 mins,  that would make sense to ride. If you're on a train to work, spend the time looking at your next session/past sessions,  etc so that you are not doing this during family time. 

While this might make sense if you want to optimise the time you do Mt Coot-tha repeats in the rain, if your little one(s) aren’t consistently sleeping through the night, it’s “challenging”.

There is also the question of how lightly your spouse (who may have been up multiple time overnight with little one(s)) sleeps. For example, mine says the Garmin vibrate-only alarm wakes her up.

Work hours also need consideration. If you don’t finish work until say 5:30pm, then have a ~45min commute, by the time you have been useful with dinner, bath, bedtime, etc being routine, you’re cutting it fine to get a decent sleep to cope with a training load...

Foz and Cranky are good sources and have done well. There are not any wrong answers, depends a lot on where you are starting from and what you want to achieve.

If objective is complete then almost anything to the extreme of nothing can work. The example I posted was around don't be limited by a 2 year old, its a good age, it gets more challenging as they get older, Foz though has actually lived it so he is best placed for this one.

On the model its basically ride bike 5 time, run 5 times, swim 3, do some intervals focussing on IM demands closer you get to the IM.

I used to think it was impossible to do, but riding 5 to 7 am 3 days a week can be done with a 2 year old

The run can be done lunch or evening depending on how home life goes.

Swimming is the pain as far as time goes.

• Like 2
On 07/01/2021 at 2:50 PM, Cranky said:

My first IM (2015), I had a 4, 6, and 17 year old. I then did 2 more the following year. By then my hubby was over it. Sorry to sound sexist but I feel that you will get away with more because you are a father not a mother, so this is good news for you. 

This resonates with a theory of mine...

I suspect many who stick with long course racing while bringing up a family have spouses who are significantly more accommodating than they realise.

Of course, it’s all relative. My grandfather in law spent most of his weekends golfing or fishing and no-one suggested that wasn’t family friendly.

Edited by trilobite
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, trilobite said:

This resonates with a theory of mine...

I suspect many who stick with long course racing while bringing up a family have spouses who are significantly more accommodating than they realise.

Of course, it’s all relative. My grandfather in law spent most of his weekends golfing or fishing and no-one suggested that wasn’t family friendly.

Agree...it’s all relative.... I have friends who play cricket....and it’s both Saturday and sundays. Others just play Saturday for 5-6 hours. At least if I head out on a Saturday at 4 or even 5am on a Saturday...I am home by either 09:00 or 10;00 am and then the days is free. 

My kids are older these days and I don’t have to ride so early but when I start to pull my finger out I will. These days I can be home at 10:30 and kids are just getting out of bed.

17 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Agree...it’s all relative.... I have friends who play cricket....and it’s both Saturday and sundays. Others just play Saturday for 5-6 hours. At least if I head out on a Saturday at 4 or even 5am on a Saturday...I am home by either 09:00 or 10;00 am and then the days is free. 

My kids are older these days and I don’t have to ride so early but when I start to pull my finger out I will. These days I can be home at 10:30 and kids are just getting out of bed.

Just got back from a holiday with family including some teenagers sharing a big house - it reinforced that the 5 hour difference between 5am and 10am is not insignificant!

I don’t think one of said teenagers thought about what choosing to share a room with my 8 year old meant for the morning...

Edited by trilobite
3 hours ago, trilobite said:

While this might make sense if you want to optimise the time you do Mt Coot-tha repeats in the rain, if your little one(s) aren’t consistently sleeping through the night, it’s “challenging”.

There is also the question of how lightly your spouse (who may have been up multiple time overnight with little one(s)) sleeps. For example, mine says the Garmin vibrate-only alarm wakes her up.

Work hours also need consideration. If you don’t finish work until say 5:30pm, then have a ~45min commute, by the time you have been useful with dinner, bath, bedtime, etc being routine, you’re cutting it fine to get a decent sleep to cope with a training load...

The AP sarcasm is noted 😀

I know about sleepless nights. For about 10 years I used to average about 4-5 hours sleep a night. It catches up to you eventually and you need to. Few power naps in between.

All I can say is one needs to work out for themselves what works best.

Fit it in when you can fit it in.

Things in the past I have done just to get it in:

- Swim in Manly Dam under a full moon 21:30 at night. And I will again.

- ride on the M7 at night after work ie: 8pm -00:30 (approx 130km)

- run when kids in bed or when everyone is in bed.....9pm - 12pm And I once ran 30k at about 02:00am.... I couldn’t sleep.

All I am saying is..... it can be done.......... it’s your life....you control it, you dictate it. Sure your wife does too but don’t let the kids put you into hibernation for the next 5 years like many do.

It’s a balancing act and yes some kid things take precedence..... work around it.

Ps: I don’t ride when it rains. I am too old for that shit and been doing it for too long. 

• Like 1

I should add that it’s a massive difference to spouse happiness if your spouse is flying solo with little guy(s) from 4-5am on a regular basis.

Unless of course you have a particularly tolerant spouse or can afford live in help.

5 hours ago, trilobite said:

Nope. Exactly the opposite, Mrs FP is incredibly accommodating and supportive, I was very aware of this. That's why I married her! 👍

So I don’t have a two year old in the house (although our 17 year old granddaughter has recently move in ) And my partner also trains long hrs 

I am pretty good at getting my training in over the last 18 years , So just  a few tips 
Be organised, by this I mean , get your stuff ready the night before EG clothing , lights , nutrition etc . I do things for multiple days Eg have 3 days worth of biddons made up , have what ever Clothing I’ll need for the week set out 

find out what time of day u have and set you Program around that , eg morning or night , don’t train morn and night . One session a day is plenty , but one session can be run/swim (run before pool opens) , bike/run etc . What ever works . Doing two separate session per day which most coaches try and push just isn’t time or home life efficient 

set your alarm for a regular time say mid week and weekend (mine is 3am mid week and 4am mostly weekends ) your body gets used to waking at a certain time and once your up and at it you will feel fine , don’t Stress  about one or two nights of short sleep (as I work 12hr days and train 2hrs plus  Per day mid week I’m somewhat short of sleep  but need a catch up somewhere usually Sunday night ) If your worriedAbout   not sleeping then you won’t sleep 

eat well , during and post session 

be organised no fluffing around , have a time your session starts and stick to it , set alarm accordingly 

make sure your partner is cool with what u are doing , and if you keep things regular then (eg swim every tues or whatever , )then it’s easier for everyone 

Don’t do group sessions , too much time wasted waiting for everyone who is late , getting to and from session etc , if you don’t have a good running spot then just do reps up the street or around the block 

the trainer is your friend , if possible have a dedicated trainer bike and room set Up ,  so no time wasted Moving  bike and fans etc , zwift can be boring and most over do each session (too much high end stuff) so just use a power meter and Netflix 
just keep it simple , I’m on trainer now for 8hrs , this will be made up of 6mins Big gear At about 55rpm at 75% of my IM watts 4 mins easy for the 8 hrs  , all super aerobic, but your legs will know it once your done And makes time go quick as your allways focused on something 

another good thing about the trainer is if kid is asleep you can be home while misses goes out , also unload dishwasher and do washing in between sets (also post long winded post on Trannies or do work emails etc as I do at 3am) win win 

swimming for most Folks   is the most time wasted sport , getting to pool and pool hrs etc (I’m lucky I have a pool 5mts from my back door I swim in all year around and all hrs) If possible bring partner and kid to pool and kid can swim while u train and then you can enjoy some family time with kid in pool after your swim while your misses swims or goes shopping etc 
don’t swim drills etc , just get in and swim , two swims a week will get you by . One 2k straight or 1k then 10X 100 , and build up to a 4K swim which could be 4K straight , 4x1000 10x400 Etc 

get in , swim Then get out . No fluffing around 

If your just finishing an IM 

then two swims 

two/three bikes  two aerobic (One at 2hr and one at 4 Hr building to 6hr)and one with harder (not hard) intervals (90mis) Which could be 30 mins warm up then 6 times 6mins at around 90% ftp then 4 mins easy 

run as above  (6 mins can be done as 1 or two k reps )

if you combine your swim with a run of 60 mins then your  looking at only 6 sessions a week 

if you also combine your long run with a two hr aerobic trainer session then your down to 5 sessions a week , that would give you two days off a week , surely that’s doable by most folks 

Edited by ironpo
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, ironpo said:

So I don’t have a two year old in the house (although our 17 year old granddaughter has recently move in ) And my partner also trains long hrs 

I am pretty good at getting my training in over the last 18 years , So just  a few tips 
Be organised, by this I mean , get your stuff ready the night before EG clothing , lights , nutrition etc . I do things for multiple days Eg have 3 days worth of biddons made up , have what ever Clothing I’ll need for the week set out 

find out what time of day u have and set you Program around that , eg morning or night , don’t train morn and night . One session a day is plenty , but one session can be run/swim (run before pool opens) , bike/run etc . What ever works . Doing two separate session per day which most coaches try and push just isn’t time or home life efficient 

set your alarm for a regular time say mid week and weekend (mine is 3am mid week and 4am mostly weekends ) your body gets used to waking at a certain time and once your up and at it you will feel fine , don’t Stress  about one or two nights of short sleep (as I work 12hr days and train 2hrs plus  Per day mid week I’m somewhat short of sleep  but need a catch up somewhere usually Sunday night ) If your worriedAbout   not sleeping then you won’t sleep 

eat well , during and post session 

be organised no fluffing around , have a time your session starts and stick to it , set alarm accordingly 

make sure your partner is cool with what u are doing , and if you keep things regular then (eg swim every tues or whatever , )then it’s easier for everyone 

Don’t do group sessions , too much time wasted waiting for everyone who is late , getting to and from session etc , if you don’t have a good running spot then just do reps up the street or around the block 

the trainer is your friend , if possible have a dedicated trainer bike and room set Up ,  so no time wasted Moving  bike and fans etc , zwift can be boring and most over do each session (too much high end stuff) so just use a power meter and Netflix 
just keep it simple , I’m on trainer now for 8hrs , this will be made up of 6mins Big gear At about 55rpm at 75% of my IM watts 4 mins easy for the 8 hrs  , all super aerobic, but your legs will know it once your done And makes time go quick as your allways focused on something 

another good thing about the trainer is if kid is asleep you can be home while misses goes out , also unload dishwasher and do washing in between sets (also post long winded post on Trannies or do work emails etc as I do at 3am) win win 

swimming for most Folks   is the most time wasted sport , getting to pool and pool hrs etc (I’m lucky I have a pool 5mts from my back door I swim in all year around and all hrs) If possible bring partner and kid to pool and kid can swim while u train and then you can enjoy some family time with kid in pool after your swim while your misses swims or goes shopping etc 
don’t swim drills etc , just get in and swim , two swims a week will get you by . One 2k straight or 1k then 10X 100 , and build up to a 4K swim which could be 4K straight , 4x1000 10x400 Etc 

get in , swim Then get out . No fluffing around 

If your just finishing an IM 

then two swims 

two/three bikes  two aerobic (One at 2hr and one at 4 Hr building to 6hr)and one with harder (not hard) intervals (90mis) Which could be 30 mins warm up then 6 times 6mins at around 90% ftp then 4 mins easy 

run as above  (6 mins can be done as 1 or two k reps )

if you combine your swim with a run of 60 mins then your  looking at only 6 sessions a week 

if you also combine your long run with a two hr aerobic trainer session then your down to 5 sessions a week , that would give you two days off a week , surely that’s doable by most folks 

You absolutely have the results and your approach works. 8 hours on a trainer requires a certain mind set though and I can see the upside.

In one session you get as much time in as I get riding 4 mornings for 2 hours. The underlying principle from most of the suggestions here is get time in how and when it works for you, but get them time in.

If you are not going FOP or not going to swim 90 minutes and die trying, swim 2 or three times.

56 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

You absolutely have the results and your approach works. 8 hours on a trainer requires a certain mind set though and I can see the upside.

In one session you get as much time in as I get riding 4 mornings for 2 hours. The underlying principle from most of the suggestions here is get time in how and when it works for you, but get them time in.

If you are not going FOP or not going to swim 90 minutes and die trying, swim 2 or three times.

Pretty much sums it up

consistent training is king , might be boring but it works 

you can still go ok on limited hrs/sessions I went from bongs and beers to a 10-07 at Forster in 12 months, didn’t have a bike , couldn’t swim but did a little running 

my sessions back then which I just got out of reading a triathlon and multi sport mag in which I couldn’t believe anyone could run 21k after a 90k bike story in the Canberra half IM 

monday long run which built to 36k (that’s too far ) and then long swim if I could get to a real pool 

tues swim 3.8k in 17m pool at lunch time if I had time 

wed run 90mins swim 2k straight in 17m pool at night 

thur 60k Bike then run 10k flat out which back then was about 34 mins

friday off 

Saturday day long bike which built to longest ride of 163k 3 weeks out in which I was shagged then run 5-10 k off bike allways 

sun off 

result 

swam 1-07

biked 5-20ish

ran 3-25 

(went through first 21k in 1-30 thinking this I’m stuff is easy so fell in abit of a hole in the back end you might say) 

plus lots of Transtion time , I’m stull

shocking at transition 

while i train a lot more hrs now , it’s become our lifestyle, if I had of stayed in the beers and bongs I’d be dead now so I don’t really care what anyone says 

32 Ironman and 18 years later my slowest IM is still 10-25 at Hawaii , although I think that record may be getting close to being broken as I just can’t run like I used to after being diagnosed (9 years ago)and turning 50 last year , I thought for sure I was gunna go slower at IMNZ 2020 but managed to pull a decent run out and went 10-15 , due to covid havnt raced since so the record still in tack (but did do a continuous Ultraman at home for something to do )

looks like I’ll be in trainer for a while longer as rose won’t be home fromher ride for another 2 hrs so might be a 10hr plus session 

Edited by ironpo
  • Like 1

I got a sick dog to look after , hence the long session on trainer we had a 12hr ride with 6000m climbing planned  , the other pooch is just snoozing and hanging out with me To keep both of us company 

75FAD602-2B60-46F3-9864-67D3534B7D16.jpeg

Edited by ironpo
  • Like 1