Changes to the national anthem

19 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

Now to get rid of "Girt by sea"

Precisely.  People have been complaining about this line since as long as I can remember but yet it hasn't been changed.  So why change the other one?

A simple one word change that respects the first nation people and encourages the unity of Australians.

There are a number of proposals to change words and sentences in the anthem including "girt by sea". Many of these proposed changes would be much more controversial and divisive than changing one word.

I applaud the government for not wasting money on consulting the voting public and making a simple change that reflects the unity of Australians. We elect them to govern. They should govern. Consulting the public would have cost money and created divisiveness.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, -- AJ -- said:

Precisely.  People have been complaining about this line since as long as I can remember but yet it hasn't been changed.  So why change the other one?

You really don't know why 'young' was removed?

46 minutes ago, dazaau said:

What is people's issue with girt by sea? 

Same as 'young and free'

It's something that can be changed, which makes it something that can be complained about 

10 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

Great change.  Young never made sense to me. I much prefer One.

Now to get rid of "Girt by sea"

Makes no difference to me.....I didnt know what the previous version was. It’s a stupid song and I refuse to sing it. It’s embarrassing.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, -- AJ -- said:

No I don't.  I was under the impression that it meant that we were a young nation.

It does, but we aren't. Indigenous have been here for about 40000 years.

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

It does, but we aren't. Indigenous have been here for about 40000 years.

They may have been (or it might even be 60000 years) but not as a nation.  Rather a gaggle of individual tribes.

8 hours ago, -- AJ -- said:

Rather a gaggle of individual tribes

With current State Premiers invoking state against state, we may just be back to that model. 

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, Prince said:

I like "well for toil".  

I dont know what it means, but I have always liked it.  it just gets me going...

Except that's not the words...

I can't tell if you're trolling 🤷

33 minutes ago, Prince said:

I like "well for toil".  

I dont know what it means, but I have always liked it.  it just gets me going...

Its "wealth for toil"

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Except that's not the words...

I can't tell if you're trolling 🤷

I dont troll.   If I did, do you really think I would come here to troll? 

15 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Posts hidden because I’m sick of dealing with ppls BS & I have better things to do on a Saturday night

Yep, me too. Aurora at 7:30pm on Fox. 

FM

13 hours ago, Prince said:

I dont troll.   If I did, do you really think I would come here to troll? 

Who knows on this site anymore...

I was just surprised you didn't know the words.

49 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Who knows on this site anymore...

I was just surprised you didn't know the words.

Well you’re talking to someone who only found out last year that the clash weren’t singing “rock the cash bar”. 

• Haha 4
27 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Right, the national anthem about theft and suicide :D:D

Well we are founded on stealing a country and convicts...lol.  It’s like the French one, just gets you going all that jumbuck stuff. 

that I am, you are Australian is the one, was at stadium Australia with 80k people once and place just erupted.... then 5 mins later they trotted out the actual anthem, well the old one with one different word and the place didn't hit the same high point. 

1 hour ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Should have that we are, you, i am australian song or waltzing Matilda.

1 hour ago, dazaau said:

Right, the national anthem about theft and suicide :D:D

Just up the road here.  Only recorded act of Piracy on inland waters.  Surely thats worth a gernsey. 

http://www.tolarnostation.com.au/history.html

Piracy and burning woolshed

In 1894, the price of wool dropped and, as the pastoralists sought to drop shearing salaries, a shearers strike commenced. In an effort to maintain a operating woolshed, Chaffey sent the Rodney paddle steamer to Wentworth to collect 50 non-union shearers. On the evening of the 26 August 1894, whilst the Rodney was moored at Moorara Station (45km downstream of Tolarno Station), Tolarno shearers attacked the non-unionist shearers and, after a protracted scuffle, set the Rodney alight and set it down the river. The burning of the Rodney is the only recorded act of piracy on inland waterways in Australia. Six of the union shearers were arrested and taken to Broken Hill, where they were tried and acquitted. On 8 August , following the acquittal, a number of unionist shearers, including  Samuel Hoffmeister called  raided Dagwood woolshed where 400 ewes were housed. Hoffmeister was found dead the following morning and this death gave birth to the story of Waltzing Matilda.
Edited by Turts
typo
  • Like 1
51 minutes ago, Peter said:

I can’t believe people care given most of the country don’t even know the words.  

I suspect I'll care less and less the more it gets changed.

BTW: I used to know all the words.

On 01/01/2021 at 3:12 PM, roxii said:

Pretty sure Mundine would reject any anthem that didn’t mention him personally. 

Pretty sure even if it didnt mention him personally, he would still find something to complain about