Books-what’s everyone reading?

I currently have 3 books on the go...

The Journey of Souls-Michael Newton PHD....thought it might help with my loss...and it has in some ways I suppose.

Think Like a Monk-Jay Shetty...I’m looking to calm my mind that won’t turn off at all...it goes 24/7...this is something that has only started since Bretty died.

And I’ve also got The Art of Resilience by Ross Edgley on the go too...

7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I currently have 3 books on the go...

The Journey of Souls-Michael Newton PHD....thought it might help with my loss...and it has in some ways I suppose.

Think Like a Monk-Jay Shetty...I’m looking to calm my mind that won’t turn off at all...it goes 24/7...this is something that has only started since Bretty died.

And I’ve also got The Art of Resilience by Ross Edgley on the go too...

Im about to read Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy again

• Like 1

Greatest book ever, Surfer!

I used to be a voracious reader, but jeeze that's dropped by the wayside!  I read lots of articles on Flipboard.  I tried using my tablet as an e-reader but there's too much other stuff to distract me.

I really need to read ADHD Friendly Ways to Organise Your Life again, but my daughter's nicked it.  And The Third Space, which I got 75% through and need to give it another run.  I actually found its content helpful, but as usual it all went by the wayside.

Reading Greyfriars Bobby

know the story, but never read the classic, as some of it is in the Edinburgh local dialect as spoken is a challenging read in places, but a feel good story.

My son is being given The art of resilience so that will be on my Boxing Day read list 

• Like 1

You'll have to watch the movies afterwards and see what you think?  They take almost as long to complete as reading the books 😉.

I'm a big fan of both.  Funny enough, I could never finish The Hobbit, and have only seen 1.5 of The Hobbit movies (have watched the LOTR movies multiple times over), but have seen the early 80's Hobbit movie, which, funny enough, is only half the story.  So worth about 1.5 of the three new Hobbit movies.

• Like 1
On 23/12/2020 at 6:52 AM, goughy said:

Greatest book ever, Surfer!

I used to be a voracious reader, but jeeze that's dropped by the wayside!  I read lots of articles on Flipboard.  I tried using my tablet as an e-reader but there's too much other stuff to distract me.

I really need to read ADHD Friendly Ways to Organise Your Life again, but my daughter's nicked it.  And The Third Space, which I got 75% through and need to give it another run.  I actually found its content helpful, but as usual it all went by the wayside.

Is Flipboard like Quora?

15 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I’ve finished The Art of Resilience if anyone wants it. Happy to send it on. I won’t be reading it again.

I had this as a holiday read (ending up reading just over 1600 pages - good break).  Ross is the gent that swam around the British Isles in 174 days in 2018, not setting foot on land until finished.  Bit of a mixture of his philosophy on stoicism and the actual swim - I didn't mind it but was reading it to learn more about the swim after reading a few magazine articles about it

Finished Green lights by Matthew McConaughey as well - very enjoyable read, light with some good life experiences thrown in as well

One to avoid - Boy Swallows Universe - how on earth that piece of rubbish made the best seller list is beyond me.  3 people at our camp site started it and none of us could make it past page 50 - the writing style is truly awful

4 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Bit of a mixture of his philosophy on stoicism and the actual swim - I didn't mind it but was reading it to learn more about the swim after reading a few magazine articles about it

Same- I sort of feel a bit ripped off if that makes sense.  I was hoping to get more out of it to be honest.

Anna Meares. Just finished it. Jumps around a bit but I really liked it.

Also finished Turia Pitt's book a little while ago. That was really good too.

I really enjoyed the Game of Thrones TV series. 

So I ordered the book series. I found some of the additional background story interesting. I find the books really slow. I have read the first 3 and then stopped.

Reading, Paul Kelly - How to make Gravy. Good read. It’s an interesting walk through the events and songs in his life. Not the usual autobiography format. 

Blind Vision - James Pittar. Went to school with him and his brother was in my year. He started going blind at age 12.

He ended up becoming a marathon ocean swimmer. He is in the ocean swimming Hall of Fame. Amazing achievements - English Channel etc.

We triathletes often think we are a bit special...... but this guy is totally amazing. 

His brother told me he still swims 5-6k every morning before work.

The People Smuggler by Robin de Crespigny's.

About a family trying to escape the Saddam regime in Iraq.

"When Ali Al Jenabi flees Saddam Hussein's torture chambers, he is forced to leave his family behind in Iraq. What follows is an incredible international odyssey through the shadowy world of fake passports, crowded camps and illegal border crossings, living every day with excruciating uncertainty about what the next will bring. Through betrayal, triumph, misfortune – even romance and heartbreak – Ali is sustained by his fierce love of freedom and family. Continually pushed to the limits of his endurance, eventually he must confront what he has been forced to become."

Really gives you a new perspective & appreciation of (real) refugees.