Aus Olympic Team

So TA put up a post yesterday, which I am pretty sure I have deciphered, which says Ashleigh Gentle and Jake Birtwhistle have been named to the Olympic team. Congratulations to them both and well done TA giving a bit of certainty to these athletes. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Tough for the athletes but the olympics should be every four years and not on to 2024.  

I know its about money these days but we should respect tradition , like with the wars where the four great cycle was missed, not “made” up.

9 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Tough for the athletes but the olympics should be every four years and not on to 2024.  

I know its about money these days but we should respect tradition , like with the wars where the four great cycle was missed, not “made” up.

It's not going to go ahead anyway... 

11 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

What about 92/94 for the winter Olympics, nobody seemed to worry about tradition then?

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/01/2021 at 7:08 AM, FatPom said:

What about 92/94 for the winter Olympics, nobody seemed to worry about tradition then?

i like watching winter olympics for the spectacle and  I know its like monopoly sets these days, one for everything but there is only one true olympics, the 1896 summer version.... christ the last Australian gold i remember, everyone else fell over and he won by not falling over...then the last pom athlete i remember was some bloke called eagle.... great spectacle, he really flew. 

• 2 months later...
On 07/01/2021 at 7:27 PM, Oompa Loompa said:

yeah na disagree. 

The track cycling boys are focused and ready to go. If they have to wait until 2024 they will just go pro now & make some $$ racing in Europe. 

21 hours ago, Peter said:

Well apparently they are announcing Our team this weekend. 

have we only got 2 in men’s and women’s? 

St this stage we only appear to have 2 spots for men and 2 for women. That may change if our athletes get to race more, and race well before the points system finishes in a few months. We need 3 in the top 30 ranking for this to happen. There are 2 start lists up but our 3rd ranked athletes aren't on both so that isn't likely to happen. Tough situation for the athletes to be in. Royle and Birtwistle the only guys in both, they are our top 2 ranked and already in the top 30 so it is up to the others to earn Aus that 3rd spot. The women may have a bit more chance as Vancoeverdon and Jackson are racing both. Vancoeverdon is already our 2nd ranked athlete and in the top 30 but Jeffcoat isn't racing either race  and Hedgeland our next ranked athlete is only on one start list. Jackson ranked about 40th is racing both, (as are Perkins and Backhouse but they are ranked too low to factor in the top 30)so I guess it's been left up to her to aim for  a top 30 ranking to earn Aus the 3rd spot. I think as well as the issue of going overseas during a pandemic there is also the knowledge that even if you manage to get into the top 30 Aus can give your spot to someone else. More so now than with any other games, racing for the team not for yourself is a big ask during this time.  Big props to those that are, hope it pays off for them and they don't just get shafted for those that decided to avoid all the hassle and risk and stay home. Just want to add Gentle and Birtwhistle are both ranked high enough they can't slip out of  the top 30 so have done their job for Aus already. 

• Thanks 1

Emma Jeffcoat is the logical choice.  She can ride domestique for Ash in the main race (as she did on the GC in 2018), and as Aus and Oceania sprint champion she has the short-course form to ge the job done in the relay

Royle looks more likely to bag the other men's spot although Hauser could also be a chance

• Like 1
On 4/23/2021 at 9:41 PM, IronJimbo said:

Emma Jeffcoat is the logical choice.  She can ride domestique for Ash in the main race (as she did on the GC in 2018), and as Aus and Oceania sprint champion she has the short-course form to ge the job done in the relay

Royle looks more likely to bag the other men's spot although Hauser could also be a chance

I'd definitely go Hauser over Royle.

Edited by AA7
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Trier said:

No posts on any socials yet, can't have happened. Maybe they are waiting until after Yokohama, 

But we aren’t sending anyone to Japan for that race are we?

i should rephrase    

I can’t see us sending anyone.  If you can’t get an Olympics spot why would you choose to go?

if you were on the cusp, would you go without a guarantee that if you placed in a certain position, you’d get selected?

If you’d been told you have a spot why bother going when you’d have to sit for 14 days in a hotel on return and also risk actually catching Covid in Japan?

I can’t see us having anyone on the start line for all of those reasons  

https://wtcs.triathlon.org/start_lists

2EDB795F-5DB7-4CD3-A751-3ED5C29AFF30.jpeg

64302E3E-6A9C-4BBD-8BFE-3B5BF2556059.jpeg

Posted (edited)

The race is an olympic points race, as is the world cup in Portugal the week after. We do have ppl on both start lists. I would assume some athletes who really want to make the Olympic team would want to race. There may ve some aware that they might be 3rd choice meaning they would need to race to accumulate points in the hope they can get into the top 30 and secure Aus another spot. Also some may just feel they need top level race practice in the lead up to Tokyo if they want to race well there. So many reasons to go, so many reasons not to go. A lot of extra stress for them all.

I doubt anyone would be coming home after the race though, if they have made the commitment to go they will be needing to stay away if they want to keep racing any of the season. No one would take 2 weeks in a hotel mid season. On social media athletes from other countries are spread all over the place in training bases preparing for the season and Tokyo. Our ppl would no doubt be doing something similar. 

Edited by Trier
1 hour ago, Peter said:

But we aren’t sending anyone to Japan for that race are we?

i should rephrase    

I can’t see us sending anyone.  If you can’t get an Olympics spot why would you choose to go?

if you were on the cusp, would you go without a guarantee that if you placed in a certain position, you’d get selected?

If you’d been told you have a spot why bother going when you’d have to sit for 14 days in a hotel on return and also risk actually catching Covid in Japan?

I can’t see us having anyone on the start line for all of those reasons  

https://wtcs.triathlon.org/start_lists

One might go to "take it for the team" - ie lift Team Oz's ranking and hence number of possible starting spots at the games.....

16 minutes ago, trifun said:

One might go to "take it for the team" - ie lift Team Oz's ranking and hence number of possible starting spots at the games.....

And their own incomes. Other than Vancoeverdon no one raced the 2020 season. For some it would have been a big cut.

National cabinet has today agreed to vaccinate athletes and support staff headed to the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games under priority group 1b

2 hours ago, Peter said:

National cabinet has today agreed to vaccinate athletes and support staff headed to the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games under priority group 1b

Well this has to be a good thing. 

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Peter said:

Good.  Our youngest will be going.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Trier said:

A big relief for your family then. Who and what sport? 

Speed Muppetry 😆

She works for the AOC media team.  Initially was told she would have to stay in her motel room for the entire time except when she went to the media room.  Now hoping she might be in the athletes village so at least will have some company!  Looks like she is the only one from her media team going, they've canned the others.

3 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Speed Muppetry 😆

She works for the AOC media team.  Initially was told she would have to stay in her motel room for the entire time except when she went to the media room.  Now hoping she might be in the athletes village so at least will have some company!  Looks like she is the only one from her media team going, they've canned the others.

Oh, haha. I imagine there will be bubbles of athletes in the village, in and out quickly. 

One and a half weeks have  passsed since everyone was thinking there would be an announcement of more athletes. Anyone know anything? There have been no social media posts about this from Tri Aus nor athletes. Does this mean they have decided to wait and see how the athletes race in WTS and world cups early this season?

20 hours ago, Trier said:

One and a half weeks have  passsed since everyone was thinking there would be an announcement of more athletes. Anyone know anything? There have been no social media posts about this from Tri Aus nor athletes. Does this mean they have decided to wait and see how the athletes race in WTS and world cups early this season?

That’s how I interpreted the announcements. Interestingly Matt Hauser does not appear to be entered in the first set of races. He’s the form Australian athlete at the moment but having missed the first phase of Olympic qualifying can’t realistically secure the third spot for Australia. Which leads to the old dilemma: athletes with more points being asked to race to secure a third spot with the possibility of someone like Hauser being selected instead for them even if they are successful.  

No idea how they can run the Olympics.  

they couldn’t even manage a bubble cricket tournament of 11 guys per team. 

zero chance they can make it to the end of 16 days of Olympics with 10,000 people. 

On 05/05/2021 at 10:12 AM, Andrew #1 said:

That’s how I interpreted the announcements. Interestingly Matt Hauser does not appear to be entered in the first set of races. He’s the form Australian athlete at the moment but having missed the first phase of Olympic qualifying can’t realistically secure the third spot for Australia. Which leads to the old dilemma: athletes with more points being asked to race to secure a third spot with the possibility of someone like Hauser being selected instead for them even if they are successful.  

This is what happens when athletes cherry pick the races they will do well at and don't race enough. They don't accrue enough points and their country misses out. Possibly someone who worked hard and took a lot of risks travelling and racing misses out. Interesting to see both Hauser and Jeffcoat not entering any of the WTS or World Cups early this year but have been announced as contracted athletes for the superleague series. Will travel for $$. 

On 05/05/2021 at 7:15 PM, Peter said:

No idea how they can run the Olympics.  

they couldn’t even manage a bubble cricket tournament of 11 guys per team. 

zero chance they can make it to the end of 16 days of Olympics with 10,000 people. 

Would many of the cricketers been vaccinated prior to travel? I assume most athletes and support staff, media etc will be vaccinated by the time the Olympics comes around. Japan do seem very slow with their own rollout programme though.

6 hours ago, Trier said:

This is what happens when athletes cherry pick the races they will do well at and don't race enough. They don't accrue enough points and their country misses out.

This is wrong. Hauser was injured for nearly all of the first phase of qualifying. So it is legitimately questionable as to whether to select him for WTC or WC races if he really cant help out the situation by securing enough personal qualifying points to push Australia into qualifying 3 athletes.

He’s already raced 5 (?) times in the second qualifying period, so I don’t think you can accuse him of ‘cherry picking’ races. More likely selectors have told he’s done his bit early this year and he should start preparing for the games IF we qualify 3 athletes and IF they deem him worthy of one of the last two slots up for grabs.

However, in my personal opinion, if another athlete manages to score enough points to secure Australia a spot, then he should be selected - at least as a ‘domestique’ for Birtwhistle and as backup for Jake and Aaron in the relay if either gets ill/injured. Tough for Matt though - as he’s ‘done his bit’ according to his own injuries and fitness and IS the form Aussie male at the moment. 

Edited by Andrew #1

What about 2nd period? Could have raced the whole season to maximise his points,  but didn't.Too many put all their eggs in one basket, The Tokyo test event. Didn't work for them and now we won't have a full team. Hopefully Jackson has a great early season and can get the women into a 3rd spot. 

8 hours ago, Trier said:

Interesting to see both Hauser and Jeffcoat not entering any of the WTS or World Cups early this year but have been announced as contracted athletes for the superleague series. Will travel for $$. 

You're assuming the decisions not to travel to those races were made by the athletes themselves 

I'm not so sure that's the case

• Like 1

From reading the Aus selection criteria for WTS races, Tier 1 categorised athletes get priority starts in any WTS  they choose. Think Birtwhistle, Royle and Hauser are the only men with that categorisation.

17 hours ago, Trier said:

What about 2nd period? Could have raced the whole season to maximise his points,  but didn't.Too many put all their eggs in one basket, The Tokyo test event. Didn't work for them and now we won't have a full team. Hopefully Jackson has a great early season and can get the women into a 3rd spot. 

He did - 5 qualifying points races since coming back until the GF in Lausanne in the period May to September 2019 - then 2020 happened. While he’s still got 2 races before he reaches the maximum of 7 - given his overall points rank him only 6th (and 400 points behind 5th) you can see why the selectors might prioritise selecting athletes above him who have a better chance of getting the job done. Willians and Royale are our best bets, so its no surprise to see them both nominated for both WS races and also at least on WC race in that short reopened qualifying period. Also, I think its possible that other athletes might get added to the start lists.

The other thing to take into account is the rolling COVID crisis. Yokohama must seem at risk given the ongoing 4th wave of infections in Japan. For all we know Matt might have given up on this year’s olympics given how doubtful it all seems. Or he might simple be basing himself in Europe and will be a late entry into Leeds and a European World Cup to round out his maximum 7 races for the second qualifying period. 

I really don’t think Trier’s criticisms are fair. The situation has improved remarkably since 2008 when the selectors picked Greg Bennett on the back of a 5th place at Mooloolaba WC when Australia hadn’t locked down a 3rd spot with more than 3 months to go in the qualifying period. I think we ended up about 50 points behind the Russians for the 8th nation to qualify 3 athletes. 

After the announcement that Bennett (who had ‘retired’ from the Australian team two years before and had gone to live in America with his wife Laura Bennett and race the lucrative North American circuit) two out of the three athletes who could easily have got it done (Peter Robertson and Simon Thompson - both of whom had lost half of the qualifying period through chronic injury and illness, but who were in the process of racing themselves into some serious form) simply gave up racing ITU (although Thompson did race the Worlds later that year) and the third - Brendan Sexton - lost all confidence and ended up with about 2600 points - just missing out in qualifying Bennett for the team.

What was particularly galling was the unilateral decision that Bill Davenport made to declare that Bennett’s fifth place at Mooloolaba was better than Robertson’s 4th place finish at Yokohama a few weeks later AND the fact that a guy that Robertson beat in Yokohama- Tim Don - was behind Peter on qualifying points at that stage, but secured GB’s third spot (and his own selection) by racing the next two WC races (Korea the next weekend and South Africa a fortnight later) - winning line and placing in the other. Robertson was coming back from  chronic glandular fever and had taken a while to race into form - and then the selectors pulled the rug out from under him just as he had it dialled in. Coincidently I was swim training with peter during this period (he’d come back to HERT for the first half of that year - Chris Hanrahan was coaching him on the day to day basis and his old coach - Mark Newton - was writing programs for him) and we could all tell he was hitting peak form. 

After 2008 and 2012 Miles Stewart was appointed to TA and conscious efforts were made to ensure that no stone was left unturned to maximise Australian selections to the Olympics. That’s why there are half a dozen male athletes that have scored in either 6 or a maximum 7 races in the first qualifying period and now each of the relevant players have between 5 and 7 races in the second qualifying period. 

It is obvious - when looked at Hauser’s races since injury robbed him of the chance to score points in the first period that he has been prioritised towards the Olympic test event and securing Australia’s relay spot - whilst other higher ranked athlete ties have been chasing the Olympic qualifying points on offer. I think ‘Team Australia’ is giving it their best shot in the circumstances and whilst ist unfortunate that Hauser hasn’t been able to contribute more, given the structure of the qualifying process and the unfortunate timing of his injury, that couldn’t be helped. 

Edited by Andrew #1

I just checked the women’s Olympic qualification points table. Far from ‘cherry picking’ races, Emma Jeffcoat scored points a maximum of 7 races in the first phase of qualifying and currently has scored points in 5 out of a maximum 7 races in the second period. So with 4 races to go (2 World Series and 2 world cups), she’s well placed to add to her score and thus improve her current 39th position. If she does, and Natalie Van Coevorden also scores again (she’s currently the second ranked Aussie and ranked 25th overall, with the possibility of scoring in two more races to take her to the maximum 7 races for the second phase of qualifying) then Australia should secure 3 female places. 

Once again, Trier is wrong. Scanning the results of the other women, it doesn’t appear that any of the contenders have been ‘cherry picking’.

Emma Jackson - Trier’s great hope - only scored in 3 races in the first phase (injuries and illness I think played a part in that) but has already scored in 7 races - so unless she can beat her worst results in the second phase cannot add to her points tally (even then she’s have to deduct the points from her worst race or races, so there is not much scope for her to improve on her current 43rd ranking position). So she is unlikely to be of much assistance in securing that 3rd Olympic birth.

I also note that Jaz Hedgeland is the third ranked Aussie (34th overall) but she’s also scored in 7 races in the second qualifying period, so is also unlikely to be of much further assistance in locking down the third spot. However, she is over 500 points ahead of Jeffcoat, so her 3510 points might actually be enough already. I think we are currently ranked 5th on points, so we should be ok (but once again I am having difficulty in working out the Byzantine qualification system, so maybe not - someone else might have a better idea than me about how that all works out).

24 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Are they still going to be on ?

That’s probably the biggest question.

the global rates of infection are the highest they have been for the pandemic: with the areas of most concern not likely to receive sufficient vaccinations for ‘herd immunity’. Japan isn’t doing particularly well at the moment either.

3 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

I just checked the women’s Olympic qualification points table. Far from ‘cherry picking’ races, Emma Jeffcoat scored points a maximum of 7 races in the first phase of qualifying and currently has scored points in 5 out of a maximum 7 races in the second period. So with 4 races to go (2 World Series and 2 world cups), she’s well placed to add to her score and thus improve her current 39th position. If she does, and Natalie Van Coevorden also scores again (she’s currently the second ranked Aussie and ranked 25th overall, with the possibility of scoring in two more races to take her to the maximum 7 races for the second phase of qualifying) then Australia should secure 3 female places. 

Once again, Trier is wrong. Scanning the results of the other women, it doesn’t appear that any of the contenders have been ‘cherry picking’.

Emma Jackson - Trier’s great hope - only scored in 3 races in the first phase (injuries and illness I think played a part in that) but has already scored in 7 races - so unless she can beat her worst results in the second phase cannot add to her points tally (even then she’s have to deduct the points from her worst race or races, so there is not much scope for her to improve on her current 43rd ranking position). So she is unlikely to be of much assistance in securing that 3rd Olympic birth.

I also note that Jaz Hedgeland is the third ranked Aussie (34th overall) but she’s also scored in 7 races in the second qualifying period, so is also unlikely to be of much further assistance in locking down the third spot. However, she is over 500 points ahead of Jeffcoat, so her 3510 points might actually be enough already. I think we are currently ranked 5th on points, so we should be ok (but once again I am having difficulty in working out the Byzantine qualification system, so maybe not - someone else might have a better idea than me about how that all works out).

3 athletes in the top 30 is required to have 3 available Olympic spots. Vancoeverden is mid 20s and on some start lists so will manage to stay there.  Jeffcoat is not entered in any so her points will go backwards. That leaves Hedgeland and Jackson, Hedgeland has entered 2 so if has really good results might get there, mist other athletes from other countries have entered 4 giving themselves more chance. Jackson has entered all 4 so has given herself more opportunities to have good races. With a WTS win worth 1000 points and her having done that in 2019 we know she is capable . That would give her the chance to drop some low results achieved when coming back from injury.  The girls hopefully will get the 3 spots. The guys is going to be much more difficult. Royle is just inside The 30 and needs to race to stay there. Willian is outside and like Hedgeland has only entered a couple of races while all the guys around his ranking have entered all 4. He would need a couple of great races to get there, and hope those ranked around him race poorly. But as they have nearly all entered all 4 have given themselves more opportunities   i don't see Aus getting 3 there. 

As I said earlier a win is worth 1000 points so an athlete who is very good and capable of high ranking results can do a lot in one and a part year , but they need to race to do that. With well over 20 points scoring races available in a period to choose from I do think someone racing 5 is cherry picking. If what you say is true and Matt was chosen to not be required to race for points but focus on the individual Tokyo test event (aus didnt need to perform well in the relay here as had already locked in their place from the 2018 season results) and the grand final then it looks like it may have backfired for Aus. With a 3rd spot unlikely. 

2 hours ago, Trier said:

If what you say is true and Matt was chosen to not be required to race for points but focus on the individual Tokyo test event (aus didnt need to perform well in the relay here as had already locked in their place from the 2018 season results) and the grand final then it looks like it may have backfired for Aus. With a 3rd spot unlikely. 

There is a difference between a move that has ‘backfired’ and one that just doesn’t work out. Fact is - and was in 2019 - that Hauser was unlikely to score enough points to secure a top 30 position over 2 x 7 races, given he’d lost the opportunity of competing for nearly all of the first phase UNLESS he was in then form to podium in most of the seven races in the second phase. Matt is good. But he’s not Luis Vincent good. So the obvious play was for him to target the Olympic test event and leave others who - on the basis of their accumulated points in the first phase - had a fighting chance to secure a top 30 ranking. He wasn’t good enough at the test event either. Ultimately if Royale and Willan ain’t good enough to finish in the top 30 we don’t deserve a 3rd spot. ‘Strategy’ has nothing to do with it: we just don’t have the cattle to pull it off. 

• 1 month later...
On 08/05/2021 at 5:51 PM, Trier said:

If what you say is true and Matt was chosen to not be required to race for points but focus on the individual Tokyo test event (aus didnt need to perform well in the relay here as had already locked in their place from the 2018 season results) and the grand final then it looks like it may have backfired for Aus. With a 3rd spot unlikely. 

Looks like the Aussie men now have 3 spots with Aaron Royle snagging the 3rd spot.

Thanks to the generous UK team failing to get a 3rd spot. 

Also helps us in the Team event, given we have athletes to select from and the UK will need to take both Johnny Brownlee and also Yee.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Peter said:

Thanks to the generous UK team failing to get a 3rd spot. 

I wonder what this means for Ali Brownlee? Will he concentrate on Kona now.

7 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

Having surgery I think.

7 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

Well,he can’t go to kona unless they really screw yee. 

but Tim don has said brownlee s run injured and hasn’t run at all in months. 

so I’d say no kona 

Brownlee is part of the sub 7 team. I do not think that he will win Kona this this year, however I think that he will be on the podium with Iden.

No Aussie woman raced today. 

no idea if we have 3 woman’s spots or less. 

we have 3 men’s spots to the Olympics. 

36D6A1CD-70FF-4AF0-B6E1-4CAC6989EEA5.png

• Like 1