Official Sh*towns of Australia 2020

Dunno who came up with this list but I reckon they don't get around much.

I've actually been to all of those places (except Port Pirie) and quite frankly there are worse places than Logan.  

My Number 1. Byron Bay

Went a few years ago.  Found it Over Crowded, over priced, unwelcoming to tourists and couldn't make a decent coffee if they tried. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Notable mention goes to Surfers Paradise.  

• Like 1

It seems that Perth gets on the list primarily due to the Kookaburra's.

PERTH, WESTERN AUSTRALIA

Not to be forgotten is WA’s capital city of Perth, chosen for its “randy kookaburras” causing “mass blackout by rooting on powerlines”, a cafe that allegedly “serves kids brownies laced with weed”, the vegan who took her neighbours to court to stop their backyard barbecues, a “d*ckhead” who ripped the head off of a celebrity kookaburra, and a “toddler found sucking on a used condom in McDonalds”.

In 2020 I think that Perth was probably one of the best cities in the entire world to live in.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, FatPom said:

Because it's close to Berry, they only have themselves to blame. 😎

Yeah, but what’s going on there that you don’t like. Not judging, just curious. 😏

They call Wellington, a town on the way to Dubbo, Antartica because of the ice. 😀

Edited by fiftyplus

1 hour ago, -- AJ -- said:

Ahhh Dubbo.  Where the caravan parks have 2m high walls topped with broken glass and/or razer wire

That’s a bit harsh. I think every town/city have good and bad areas.

The regional areas are attracting a lot of people from Sydney, including the well off, so maybe that’s the problem. Plus I don’t think councils/town planners can cope with the infrastructure needed for the growing population. 

1 hour ago, fiftyplus said:

A I said, every town/city has good and bad areas. I lived in the Hornsby Shire for a long time and like everywhere else there are some dodgy areas and dodgy people but it hasn’t stopped a massive population growth. 

In the apartment block I lived in there, the upstairs had a drug lab.  

took use 6 months to work it out.  Quickest purchase and sale ever. The real estate agent was raking in commission

6 hours ago, -- AJ -- said:

Only redeeming factor about Berry was the Donut van.  Nothing better than a fresh made donut and hot coffee at 2am

6 hours ago, fiftyplus said:

Yeah, but what’s going on there that you don’t like. Not judging, just curious. 😏

haha the Donut van is the very reason Berry is a shit town and my logic is perfectly reasonable, as you will see....

Back in the 80s, not long after I'd arrived in Oz, I used to hang out a lot with my cousin. We surfed together whenever we could and he was showing me breaks further afield from Cronulla (where I lived).

His wife's family had a holiday house in Werri Beach, so on Friday evening we hit the road for a surfari down there.  I can't remember what time we got to Berry but I'll say about 11pm. we stopped for a donut(s), seemed like a great idea.

Joined the queue, about 4 people in front of us, then a few behind (most were drunk).  Then three or four  blokes just barged their way to the to the front, lots of shouting, not by us but I did muster my strongest Pommie style 'tut tutting'.

Then someone shouted something that rhymed with 'shunts', they thought it was us and gave us a bit of a hiding before the others pulled them off.  Cops arrived from somewhere, most ran.  We were bruised but generally ok and really just wanted to get on but we gave a statement, left our details and got back in the car, drove on with no donuts and and feeling like crap.

THAT'S WHY BERRY IS A SHIT TOWN 😂

Edited by FatPom
  • Haha 3
1 minute ago, FatPom said:

haha the Donut van is the very reason Berry is s hit town and my logic is perfectly reasonable, as you will see....

Back in the 80s, not long after I'd arrived in Oz, I used to hang out a lot with my cousin. We surfed together whenever we could and he was showing me breaks further afield from Cronulla (where I lived).

His wife's family had a holiday house in Werri Beach, so on Friday evening, we hit the road for a surfari down there.  I can't remember what time we got to Berry but I'll say about 11pm. e stopped for a donut(s), seemed like a great idea.

Joined the queue, about 4 people in front of us, then a few behind (most were drunk).  TheN three or four  blokes just barged their way to the to the front, lots of shouting, not by us, but I did muster my strongest Pommie style 'tut tutting'.

Then someone shouted something that rhymed with 'shunts', they thought it was us and gave us a bit of a hiding before they others pulled them off.  Cops arrived from somewhere, most ran.  We were bruised but generally ok and really just wanted to get on but we gave a statement, left our details and got back in the car, drove on with no donuts and and feeling like crap.

THAT'S WHY BERRY IS A SHIT TOWN 😂

Probs shouldn’t be laughing at that but here I am...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, fiftyplus said:

That’s a bit harsh. I think every town/city have good and bad areas.

The regional areas are attracting a lot of people from Sydney, including the well off, so maybe that’s the problem. Plus I don’t think councils/town planners can cope with the infrastructure needed for the growing population. 

Back in the 80s, my first wife came from Parkes. All that area had a huge drug problem from the truckies that used to deal on their way to and from the Newell Highway.

Bathurst always fared better IMO due to the Uni influence but Parkes, Forbes, Dubbo et al. Nuke em and nuke em good.

I have travelled up the north coast of NSW from Sydney for the past 40+ years. A lot of great places. One of those places that I never ranked was Coffs Harbour. I was only there three weeks ago (two night stay) and had another feral incident occur in the shopping plaza which caused the police to be called.

I was only talking to a bloke today and his daughter was stationed there as a police officer until only recently. The phones rang almost 24/7 for issues occurring - to the extent that they could not cope with the amount. 

As others have said, good and bad in all areas. I had never had a good vibe there. It probably started at aged 17 when my mates and I were chased out of the Hoey Moey by a bunch of locals at lunchtime.

FM

17 hours ago, Flanman said:

I have travelled up the north coast of NSW from Sydney for the past 40+ years. A lot of great places. One of those places that I never ranked was Coffs Harbour. I was only there three weeks ago (two night stay) and had another feral incident occur in the shopping plaza which caused the police to be called.

I was only talking to a bloke today and his daughter was stationed there as a police officer until only recently. The phones rang almost 24/7 for issues occurring - to the extent that they could not cope with the amount. 

As others have said, good and bad in all areas. I had never had a good vibe there. It probably started at aged 17 when my mates and I were chased out of the Hoey Moey by a bunch of locals at lunchtime.

FM

Ah the Hoey Moey. Went there a few times in the 80s as a student. Managed to escape with my life.

Will be in Coffs for Xmas staying near the Jetty. Great spot can walk to the nearby restaurant strip and Jetty Pub. Never had any trouble there?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Laverton..... The tables & chairs are bolted to the floor in the pub. They hose the floor out in the morning. 

I went to Laverton a lot, for a while, serious crap hole. It got better accomodation wise once the Point Cook are opened up, stayed at a Greg Norman Resort.

But the same crappy road up over the train line, at least I was the king of Laverton and coffe with sugar lumps when I arrived

When I was offered my first mining job 25+ years ago they flew myself and my wife up to the mine site. I could either work residential or FIFO. They drove us out to look at houses in Laverton and Leonora. It was pension day. The roads were covered with broken glass, empty cans and wine casks. There were people passed out drunk laying on the verge. We saw two fights. As a city dweller it was confronting and heartbreaking to see. Not surprisingly my wife decided that I should do FIFO. 

16 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Laverton..... The tables & chairs are bolted to the floor in the pub. They hose the floor out in the morning. 

Do they have a sign over the urinal, "don't eat the big white mint", and do people ignore the sign?

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

I went to Laverton a lot, for a while, serious crap hole. It got better accomodation wise once the Point Cook are opened up, stayed at a Greg Norman Resort.

But the same crappy road up over the train line, at least I was the king of Laverton and coffe with sugar lumps when I arrived

Laverton in WA?

3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

The bar is still split into two sections. It’s really sad. 

About 20 years ago I went into the Wiluna hotel. Two bars there also. In one of the bars the staff served beer from behind steel mesh. Alcohol has a devastating impact.

• Sad 1

My Top 10 of the Eastern states:

1. Ulan NSW - publican there is the #1 shit person in Australia, the town deserves him.  Ivan Milat would have raised the culture of the town if he had visited there

2. Boggabilla NSW - The Wobbly Boot hotel has an ironclad guarantee of a **** or a fight, most likely the later.  I'll see your pubs with cages over the bar and raise it to a supermarket with the cage around the till

3. Geelong Vic - A Special Town of special people that get upset if they are not made to feel special.  They'll be the first ones to be upset by this list, then laugh at #8 after a few moments of confusion

4. Gatton Qld - The most prolific inbreeders are not in Tassie...

5. Launceston Tas - May have changed, but any town that only has Christian music on the FM band needs an EMT dropped on them and started again.  Suppressed Redneck paradise

6. Brewarrina NSW - if you don't smoke, get yourself a packet of cigarettes as if you don't have one when asked, you may be fighting for your life "you c+-t"

7. Daylesford Vic - Do I need to say anymore

8. Lorne Vic - Home of the wankers Geelong rejects for having too much money (making them not quite special enough) - Special people with money and a lust for wearing budgie smugglers into cafes despite no plans to go for a swim

9. Stanthorpe Qld - Yes, we get that it gets cold there - now go put some pants on

10. Hervey Bay Qld - Let's do an experiment to see how caravans and mobility scooters can make your commute shit

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
14 minutes ago, Chuckie M said:

I would go Townsville Number 1 . It's the youth crime out of control. Soft sentences all round. Car thefts by the hour. After Long course world's in 22 if it happens?. I am gone.....😜

I’m glad I left for good a few years ago now, sold my house there this year and only link I have now is my mum and dad are still there.  I reckon when they retire they will leave.

my wife is a born and bred Townsville girl. Breaks her heart to see how the place is now. Her mum and Grand parents are there, they’ll all die there.  She’s glad we left but she still misses “home” to an extent.

Edited by KieranR