PeterW bad cycling accident

Got word late last night that Peter crashed badly descending one of the Vic Alp climbs.  

he had a head on crash with a car that was going up. 

was placed in an induced coma and choppered off the mountain back to Melbourne. 

The car was written off, so it’s obviously a bad crash.  

no update this morning yet. 

• Sad 8

This is horrible. I'm also getting updates of a keen cyclist that my wife's parents know well who had a horrific accident recently. It is actually worrying. I would say "be safe out there" but the reality is we are all mostly trying to do that and yet it still happens far too often. Will be praying PeterW is stable, and that his recovery can begin soon. So sad to hear.

• Like 1

Hope he is ok!!

Bad accident up here last week. A fella hit by a car doing 80 in a 60 zone is my understanding. Airlifted to Melbourne and put in an induced coma to stop a brain bleed. I think he is coming around now, but this is his second bad crash over last 5 years or so.

• Sad 2

Pete has come out of his coma, he has had no Surgeries yet.
He is not allowed to talk till after surgery due to fracture close to his vocal cords. He is only allowed 2 hours a day visits from his immediate family due to COVID. His family are doing ok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8
2 minutes ago, Peter said:

Pete has come out of his coma, he has had no Surgeries yet.
He is not allowed to talk till after surgery due to fracture close to his vocal cords. He is only allowed 2 hours a day visits from his immediate family due to COVID. His family are doing ok.

glad he is out of his induced coma, that is a good sign. It is all very rough :( 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Mate. So glad to hear of your imminent recovery to 100% healthy.

Can relate to the left hand guitar issues ( 7 mths post finger injury), but once the halo is off, get back into it. It's great for the soul, just to make a bit of noise.😆

Keep us posted and good luck with the rehab. " Geez those roses smell good"👍😉🤸🧘

Great to hear you are on the mend Pete. 

When will we see the workings out of the physics of your accident? :lol: 

Actually I hope this wasn’t you road  testing your cornering grip hypothesis from a while back. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
17 hours ago, roxii said:

Great to hear you are on the mend Pete. 

When will we see the workings out of the physics of your accident? :lol: 

Actually I hope this wasn’t you road  testing your cornering grip hypothesis from a while back. 

I can’t remember anything- the whole day is a complete blank.  But I think my days of descending fast are over.  The consequences of something going wrong are just too much to risk.  And it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to predict the winner of cyclist vs car in a head-on collision!

if I was a cat I’d be on my ninth life - no more risk taking for me 😬

• Like 4
On 03/01/2021 at 10:52 AM, PeterW said:

I can’t remember anything- the whole day is a complete blank.  But I think my days of descending fast are over.  The consequences of something going wrong are just too much to risk.  And it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to predict the winner of cyclist vs car in a head-on collision!

if I was a cat I’d be on my ninth life - no more risk taking for me 😬

Stay safe and get well. 

Yes: don’t descend at speed - it’s not worth it. “King of the mountain.....queen of the descent” is the saying in my old group of years gone by. No points for descending.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Glad to hear the long term prognosis is looking okay.

Doesn't take much for it to go terribly wrong. I was thankfully a split second late from disaster on Mt Hamilton near San Jose a number of years ago. If it was a typical pickup instead of a small sedan...

• Like 1