What will we see in 2021???

Will global racing return?
Will 70.3 worlds happen?
Will Kona happen for the age groupers?
Will we see Giant, Trek or anyone still not with a disc bike release one?
Will Shimano finally upgrade from 11speed?
Will the Olympics happen?
Anything else in 2021?

20 minutes ago, Chuckie M said:

Lots of No for my answer. The World is still in disrepair.🤪

yeah, Germany and Sweden have just gone into lockdown as has London and other parts of the the UK. USA is a mess. I don't think we realise how good we have it. Folks on ST were aghast I went to a Xmas party until I said i was in Australia. I think the Olympics will happen and there will be Ironman and 70.3 races happening across the globe depending on the country, but no 70.3 worlds and no Kona for AG.

The Australian tri season will go ahead with limited international Pros.

The northern hemisphere racing season will go ahead because a) They don't care about Covid b) Aggressive immunisation rates will bring infections down.

Kona will go ahead for Age Groupers. I think that Australians and NZ may still be subject to quarantine when they return, so may be in limited numbers.

I think that the Olympics might go ahead. Everyone will have to quarantine to go. There will be limited or no crowds.

Sadly I think there will be a lot of NO there. Olympics I think/hope will go ahead. Saying that, I don't think they will be like what we are used to nor will we necessarily see the same results we would have prior to pandemic. The Northern Hemisphere have had a lot more elite racing than we have, they don't seem too worried about covid. I am ssurprised we haven't heard of a number of athletes contracting with all the travel and racing they were doing. 

Edited by Trier
9 hours ago, MackaEvo2 said:

Will global racing return?
Will 70.3 worlds happen?
Will Kona happen for the age groupers?
Will we see Giant, Trek or anyone still not with a disc bike release one?
Will Shimano finally upgrade from 11speed?
Will the Olympics happen?
Anything else in 2021?

1. Yes. Global racing is already and still happening

2. Yes. The USA is over the covid thing and are having races go ahead. 

3. Hard no already on Kona. Hawaii doesn't want you there. All events cancelled till June I think in Hawaii. 

4. Yes, all those brands will have disc by end of year. 

5. Yes, apparently it's been held up a little but expect something Q2 2020

6. Olympics, I think that's a no unfortunately. I love the Olympics too :(

Did I miss something... when did global racing return?

When were we able to just hop on a plane to race? It’s not even that easy to travel around Australia.

There are still countries like the US which is a Covid hot spot and other countries like Germany in full lockdown. 

Vaccines will change the game. I think tourism-dependent economies, like Hawaii and NZ, will come up with vaccination certification processes. I'm not hopeful it'll happen in time for Wanaka or IMNZ, or in time for any Australian races for me this summer, but I do expect to be able to travel and race in the northern summer. With a lot of bureaucracy to navigate, but I think it'll be possible.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Crappy said:

When did it completely stop? It hasn't. There are less races but they're still going on. 

I live in Melbourne and basically we have lived inside a bubble shutting down everything for the majority of this year. 
Do you live in Queensland? 

Edited by MackaEvo2
33 minutes ago, steve said:

Vaccines will change the game. I think tourism-dependent economies, like Hawaii and NZ, will come up with vaccination certification processes. I'm not hopeful it'll happen in time for Wanaka or IMNZ, or in time for any Australian races for me this summer, but I do expect to be able to travel and race in the northern summer. With a lot of bureaucracy to navigate, but I think it'll be possible.

You could be lucky with wanaka and IMNZ 

293C9299-4DC6-49DC-A504-7E9CFBC019E4.jpeg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, MackaEvo2 said:

Did I miss something... when did global racing return?

When were we able to just hop on a plane to race? It’s not even that easy to travel around Australia.

There are still countries like the US which is a Covid hot spot and other countries like Germany in full lockdown. 

lots of races been happening around the world, just some countries have stricter travel rules than others. IE Aus, NZ etc, making it near impossible for us southerners to be there.

6 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

Kona will go ahead for Age Groupers. I think that Australians and NZ may still be subject to quarantine when they return, so may be in limited numbers.

That could get interesting, if we still have the quarantine on return, that may force some to withdraw, I guess Ironman is not going to allow a transfer to 2022. It was already iffy on the legacy guys keeping their spots (noting that they would have done their validating Ironman prior to December 31, 2019). 

45 minutes ago, Trier said:

lots of races been happening around the world, just some countries have stricter travel rules than others. IE Aus, NZ etc, making it near impossible for us southerners to be there.

I know many races have been happening but if we as Australian's can't travel to compete I don't considered it global racing because we are an Australian Triathlon forum. For those of us in Melbourne nothing has been on this year 

56 minutes ago, MackaEvo2 said:

I know many races have been happening but if we as Australian's can't travel to compete I don't considered it global racing because we are an Australian Triathlon forum. For those of us in Melbourne nothing has been on this year 

Dude. Come this weekend.  I’ll send you a link. 

8 hours ago, zed said:

yeah, Germany and Sweden have just gone into lockdown as has London and other parts of the the UK. 

Every time you write something about the UK you get it wrong. I don't know where you keep getting your info but you seriously need a better source.

England has just come out of lockdown, not gone into it. Wales have been out of lockdown for a few weeks but had a two week 'firebreak'. London isn't in lockdown.

Eng has a 3 tier system, Scotland has a 5 tier system (presumably because they figured they were getting two tiers for nothing 🤣 ) Wales has a different tier system but also closing their schools a week early.

There is no UK wide response because devolved administrations have the power to decide for themselves, so there is no 'UK' response.

Some Xmas tiering rules have been relaxed and some new tier 3 area definitions were put in place post lockdown. (basically, tier 3 is very restrictive).

There may be a third lockdown after Xmas once the effect all the 'heroes' that decided the rules didn't apply to them is fully felt.

A lot of hopes being pinned on the vaccine as I believe we were the frst to approve (but not 100% sure).

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Every time you write something about the UK you get it wrong. I don't know where you keep getting your info but you seriously need a better source.

England has just come out of lockdown, not gone into it. Wales have been out of lockdown for a few weeks but had a two week 'firebreak'. London isn't in lockdown.

Eng has a 3 tier system, Scotland has a 5 tier system (presumably because they figured they were getting two tiers for nothing 🤣 ) Wales has a different tier system but also closing their schools a week early.

There is no UK wide response because devolved administrations have the power to decide for themselves, so there is no 'UK' response.

Some Xmas tiering rules have been relaxed and some new tier 3 area definitions were put in place post lockdown. (basically, tier 3 is very restrictive).

There may be a third lockdown after Xmas once the effect all the 'heroes' that decided the rules didn't apply to them is fully felt.

A lot of hopes being pinned on the vaccine as I believe we were the frst to approve (but not 100% sure).

I've become lost in what is happening in the UK. I thought all London schools were closing and they were going to tier 3 lockdown imminently?

2 hours ago, MackaEvo2 said:

Thanks mate. Yeah my mate Calvin Amos will be going but I just ran a marathon and won’t be able to back up for this one. Might come down to watch though

Calvin will go well this year

1 hour ago, zed said:

I've become lost in what is happening in the UK. I thought all London schools were closing and they were going to tier 3 lockdown imminently?

haha TBH mate, we're all a bit lost as well.  London is part of an ongoing debate as to whether it should be in Tier 3 or not, or whether parts of it should.  Even Tier 3 areas are not shutting the schools down, although Wales have decided to shut their schools a week early for Xmas.

The biggest issue seems to be in the north east of the country, Manchester is a train wreck.  The rules about what a certain tier can and can't do are  not always clear.

I think what they are trying to do is control the bad areas whilst keeping some the economy going. personally I'm not sure it's working and when you couple that with the relaxation for Xmas, I can't see it ending well.

So Tier 3 is the most severe in Eng but it's not as severe as a complete lockdown and the lockdown we recently had in Eng was more of a 'lockdown light' especially with schools open.

Where I live was in tier 1 before lockdown (the lowest) but now we are tier 2 but not much has changed. Although being just three of us without extended family close, life carries on pretty similar for us anyway.

The good news is that races are starting to happen in appropriate tiers. I ran a marathon last week at Goodwood Motor circuit and that was very well controlled. It had HM, 10 and 5km options as well (staggered start).

I am meant to be doing the Arc of Attrition ultra in Feb in Cornwall (which is tier 1, along with the Isle of Wight, the only two tier 1 areas in the country) but I have deferred to 2022. I can't see it going ahead but who knows.

Newport Marathon is meant to be in March but I really can't see that happening as Cardiff Half Mara in April has already been canned.

My big races next year are South down Way 100 miler in June and Dragon's Back Race in Sept. Hopefully some normality by then.

Lots of folks hoping that IM Lanza goes ahead.

Edited by FatPom
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Peter said:

Yes already discussed in my post but as I said, Tier 3 is not a lockdown. Even our recent 'lockdown' wasn't a lockdown.

Interesting comment today on one of the news shows saying that while the vaccine may stop you getting COVID they don’t know yet whether it stops you carrying and spreading it. 
that makes travel a whole different issue, while you may be vaccinated if you are still coming from a COVID country you may not escape quarantine procedures.

IF  TA were ahead of the game they would offer all international triathletes to come here.

Organise some corporate sponsors, serve their quarantine and then have a series of races broadcast to the world at broadcast friendly times.

Same thing for any other sport really where most states have 100% capacity at stadium.

2 hours ago, Wronggenes said:

IF  TA were ahead of the game they would offer all international triathletes to come here.

Organise some corporate sponsors, serve their quarantine and then have a series of races broadcast to the world at broadcast friendly times.

Same thing for any other sport really where most states have 100% capacity at stadium.

Sounds good but I say broadcast it in the early hours for the rest of world... Gives a similar feel to when we watch Daytona or Kona. You feel just as tired as the athletes racing 

8 hours ago, FatPom said:

Yes already discussed in my post but as I said, Tier 3 is not a lockdown. Even our recent 'lockdown' wasn't a lockdown.

Jesus I am glad to be out of the UK at the moment and pity anyone who is still there. Don't get me wrong, I love the place and the people and the culture and the vibrancy of the country ..... but when it is run by a bloke who doesn't know how many kids he has, that is a worry!

And the alternative is a bloke who was a former DPP and hit a cyclist in his car a couple of weeks ago and drove away thinking he'd done everything right and DIDN'T call an ambulance!

What concerns me (and I still watch almost exclusively UK TV and news feeds .... Telegraph, Times, Guardian, even the Daily Mail!!!) is that I am hearing too much from politicians and not enough from science-talking guys. The latter have little / no vested interest in this and are / should be doing what is right for humanity. The former are practising the art of "Showbusiness for Ugly People" .... Politics!  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Jesus I am glad to be out of the UK at the moment and pity anyone who is still there.  

I'm certainly glad we aren't in London, Manchester or Bristol. We seem to be going ok in Winchester because I don't think the virus can afford to stay here 😆

As for the politics, because of of who I work for now and what I do, I stay right out of that and let the armchair geniuses crack on.😉

• Haha 2
10 hours ago, Wronggenes said:

Yes, that would be good, but racing throughout Europe for the WTS athletes has been happening anyway. Unfortunately our guys and girls couldn't be there nor NZ and Canada, but the other main contenders were racing without needing to quarantine or too much travel expense. Why would they want to spend top dollar to get here and longish term accommodation cost when things haven't really changed too much for them. I would think being covid safe would be a good reason but from seeing all the travel and racing they have been doing most don't seem to be too concerned.. bulletproof..

1 hour ago, Trier said:

Yes, that would be good, but racing throughout Europe for the WTS athletes has been happening anyway. Unfortunately our guys and girls couldn't be there nor NZ and Canada, but the other main contenders were racing without needing to quarantine or too much travel expense. Why would they want to spend top dollar to get here and longish term accommodation cost when things haven't really changed too much for them. I would think being covid safe would be a good reason but from seeing all the travel and racing they have been doing most don't seem to be too concerned.. bulletproof..

Was this more a decision by the athlete to not go or advice from TA that they shouldnt go, or that the government said, no you can't go.

I ask because several aussie and kiwi long course pros went to Daytona and are back home (in quarantine still) and raced.

The ITU world champs was put on with weeks notice so I get they missed that event, but there have been many other races they could have gone too but didn't.

I believe TA said no, the govt don't make it easy either.  With restricted flights getting home is likely to be a delay problem and an international home base and or proof of $$$ to support themselves longer term while away if flights and available and to pay the possible very high flight costs. Also remember there could be visa issues for non dual residency athletes if they have to be away for over 90 days too. Remember we have been having "Mercy Flights" to bring residents home from some countries. With cap restrictions on daily international arrivals due to quarantine numbers, the flight tickets you can buy to return home often don't actually pan out.

Basically with WTS races, unless they can actually win it (and possibly still even then)they would likely be racing at a deficit, as well as defying the Govt request to stay home, defying TA request to stay home and also putting themselves at more risk of contraction with the travel.

Remember with our Olympic team not decided yet no one would want to risk pissing off the TA powers.

Edited by Trier
On 16/12/2020 at 10:31 AM, Trier said:

I believe TA said no, the govt don't make it easy either.  With restricted flights getting home is likely to be a delay problem and an international home base and or proof of $$$ to support themselves longer term while away if flights and available and to pay the possible very high flight costs. Also remember there could be visa issues for non dual residency athletes if they have to be away for over 90 days too. Remember we have been having "Mercy Flights" to bring residents home from some countries. With cap restrictions on daily international arrivals due to quarantine numbers, the flight tickets you can buy to return home often don't actually pan out.

Basically with WTS races, unless they can actually win it (and possibly still even then)they would likely be racing at a deficit, as well as defying the Govt request to stay home, defying TA request to stay home and also putting themselves at more risk of contraction with the travel.

Remember with our Olympic team not decided yet no one would want to risk pissing off the TA powers.

You are right, movement is extraordinarily difficult at present.   In the last few weeks, I have spoken with people who have paid $9k per ticket one way to get from LA to Syd.   I have spoken to a family that has paid $70k for a family to get from regional Canada to Sydney, a journey that took 8 days and with a missed connection cost $70k all up after rebooking. We are a long, long way from normal still.  I'd be happy with where we are at with Covid, not worrying about some missed races.   

There must be a reason these people are happily paying the premium to escape Covid in full-bloom.

On 17/12/2020 at 7:51 AM, Diamonds said:

You are right, movement is extraordinarily difficult at present.   In the last few weeks, I have spoken with people who have paid $9k per ticket one way to get from LA to Syd.   I have spoken to a family that has paid $70k for a family to get from regional Canada to Sydney, a journey that took 8 days and with a missed connection cost $70k all up after rebooking. We are a long, long way from normal still.  I'd be happy with where we are at with Covid, not worrying about some missed races.   

There must be a reason these people are happily paying the premium to escape Covid in full-bloom.

I was quoted - by the Australian High Commission in Geneva .... which seems to be now more travel agency than Diplomatic Mission - $17,000 for a one-way, Economy flight from Zurich to Canberra in mid-December, with an additional $4,000 for quarantine. This was a diplomatic repatriation flight gathering up all of the diplomats around Europe whose postings had finished. 

Now, there were a couple of issues with this: - 

1. They couldn't guarantee that I wouldn't get bumped at the airport;

2. They couldn't guarantee that I wouldn't get bumped in Singapore;

3. They couldn't guarantee that the borders would be open between the ACT and NSW and then NSW and Vic .... I needed to get to Ballarat, so Canberra was like being asked whether I wanted a one-way flight to St Petersburg!!!;

4. There was no guarantee of a return flight; 

Apart from these small factors, I was sold!!! The hangover from this for Australian tourism will be immense and long-term.

• Like 1
On 15/12/2020 at 9:01 PM, FatPom said:

As for the politics, because of of who I work for now and what I do, I stay right out of that and let the armchair geniuses crack on.😉

I always used to laugh when, in Melbourne at the end of October every year, people would become experts on horse racing. Then, on Boxing Day, the same people would become experts on sailing .....

Seems that they have all turned their expertise to virology!!!!

• Like 2
On 16/12/2020 at 9:23 AM, Callum Dalgleish McGregor said:

A recognition that disc brakes on road and TT bikes are a joke...... 

I second that!

ps. Yes I’ve tried them. I gave them a go and don’t see the need for them for my level of riding. 

Just now, Greyman said:

I second that!

ps. Yes I’ve tried them. I gave them a go and don’t see the need for them for my level of riding. 

+1 .... I love them on MTBs, but hate them on the road and prefer the feather of a solid rim brake. 

10 hours ago, Rimmer said:

I always used to laugh when, in Melbourne at the end of October every year, people would become experts on horse racing. Then, on Boxing Day, the same people would become experts on sailing .....

Seems that they have all turned their expertise to virology!!!!

I also love how every year the outrage brigade loses their minds on the first Tuesday of November each year over horse cruelty but the day before or day after will be wanting to slaughter a bona fide part of our history in the thousands, the great Australian Brumby. Now Ive spend a bit of time in the bush and know where to go Ive seen these majestic animals in their mobs and they arent the problem. 

Roos are the main problem by a factor of a zillion, and breeding exponentially (I think we are up to 50m plus roos in Australia now), and deer and feral pigs  even in the high country (other than those at North Cronulla pub which look delicious dressed up with a bit of lipstick and eyeshadow after Ive had a few frothies) are doing the damage.

Ive proudly done my bit for the environment by making a lead donation to the environment at 3200 feet per second via the skulls of some of these pests on occasion. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
On 24/12/2020 at 8:18 AM, Callum Dalgleish McGregor said:

I also love how every year the outrage brigade loses their minds on the first Tuesday of November each year over horse cruelty but the day before or day after will be wanting to slaughter a bona fide part of our history in the thousands, the great Australian Brumby. Now Ive spend a bit of time in the bush and know where to go Ive seen these majestic animals in their mobs and they arent the problem. 

Roos are the main problem by a factor of a zillion, and breeding exponentially (I think we are up to 50m plus roos in Australia now), and deer and feral pigs  even in the high country (other than those at North Cronulla pub which look delicious dressed up with a bit of lipstick and eyeshadow after Ive had a few frothies) are doing the damage.

Ive proudly done my bit for the environment by making a lead donation to the environment at 3200 feet per second via the skulls of some of these pests on occasion. 

In terms on the natural environment I wouldn't say its the roos or the pigs or the brumby's... the only animal that seems set on destroying the planet is us

19 hours ago, Callum Dalgleish McGregor said:

All three grand tour winners and their teams, and the world TT champion all riding rim brake bikes as they are superior and offer no performance detriment even descending the biggest mountain passes in Europe like the Stelvio in the rain and snow.... 

No... Wait... 

Durian Rider has joined the forum?

• Haha 1

Was never that keen on disc brakes, found the biggest benefit was in crits. Don't think they are a show stopper and we still run 8 and 9 speed bikes, cable pull through brakes.

Figure rim brakes will be around for a long time, but discs will be more the standard or high end