Andrew Starykowicz Guilty of drug use. Sort of. 13 months

10 minutes ago, Peter said:

This is an interesting and sad read the way drugs in sport is dealt with. 

honesty doesn’t pay it seems. 

try and read before commenting. 

http://www.andrewstarykowicz.com/sanction/

That is just hopeless. What a wholly disproportionate response to someone who is clearly trying to do the right thing. Meanwhile if you WANT to dope you are probably getting away with it.

Makes you wonder what the point is sometimes, doesn't it. 

Edited by dazaau

Yeah but a TUE should be approved faster than weeks. 

3 days is enough for someone to check the paperwork.

and Ironman are pricks to him because he has spoken out I. The past about things like, not getting prize money for over 12 months after the race its been Won at.  

that alone is shit 

4 hours ago, Limited said:

https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachments/document/c55d-2310136/A.Starykowicz.MGSS_Award.pdf#_ga=2.161879998.343846160.1606339705-394874264.1606339705

The ruling is pretty clear he was told not to race until the TUE was approved and raced twice anyway

image.png.ad51db2a1e97ed466f583d5d50b62a33.png

That's interesting - always two sides. Seems very poor judgement to race.

But the whole TUE process seems pretty crazy. And the punishment extreme. 

He appears to pretty outspoken about drugs in tri. So you would think he would at least follow the rules no matter how long it takes someone to decide if it is okay or not. 
I agree the whole TUE process is stuffed and needs to be looked at 

• Like 1

So sick you need to take banned drugs means way too sick to race, no ifs or buts, too sick. As the report states what he used was not normally given to treat his symptoms as it didn't work, there are other legal in sport drugs which would actually have worked. He actually chose to take not one but two banned drugs and to then race, he deserves the ban.

• Like 1

Agreed with Trier.

What shits me is that a few days before he lodged the TUE, Starykowicz was on Breakfast with Bob saying that TUEs are cheating, that if you have to apply to use a TUE you're so sick you shouldn't be racing, and that TUEs should be publicised. (15 or so mins in, 2019 BwB on Youtube). 

A week or so after this, he is still sick. He applies for a TUE (which he doesn't think should exist let alone be used). He doesn't publicise it (which he thinks should happen). The TUE as lodged is incomplete. He responds and lodges correct paperwork. He is informed that racing while the TUE is lodged will lead to an ADRV. He races two days after he has received written and verbal warnings to this effect. 

Seriously? I find it basically impossible to defend him - arrogance and hypocrisy aren't a good mix. Arrogance in thinking the rules don't apply to him: you've been told you're getting an ADRV and you race - what the hell do you expect? And hypocrisy: if you're going to call out the process and athletes using TUEs and call for a better way of doing it, you'd better bloody well be front and centre doing it. 

And yes, I've read both his defense and the RD. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Crappy said:

And all he had to do was what he was told... Not race. He screwed up and paid the price. 

Fair. But 40k and a year ban is pretty serious stuff for a pro triathlete. 

And while he didn't tweet about his treatment he did put it on the race form.

Really should have taken more care, the risk of having the TUE knocked back was clearly too high. 

Isn't 'pretty serious stuff' kind of the point to having a drug sanctioning process?

What he did in terms of putting it on the form isn't making it public - it's what everyone who races whilst under a TUE has to do. Going public (like he advocates) would surely be putting on twitter, or his website that, 'on day x I applied for a TUE to use y and z due to illness'. 

I've no particular bone against Starykowicz before this. I've loved watching him race. Balls out swim and bike and then hang on for dear life is how I'd race if I was any good. And I don't think he's a cheat.

But from his actions over the TUE, the non publicising of it, and the disingenuous presentation of racing whilst his TUE was in consideration before it was granted (his version of the facts on the website (although included in omits that he raced Waco two days after he was told that if he raced without a TUE being granted he would be committing an ADRV) he's shown himself to be a bit of a dick, to be polite.

And I'm happy to be accused of hypocrisy to some degree - a mate of mine got done for a masking agent just before Rio. Copped a four year ban. Took it to the relevant court (although I don't think to CAS) which reduced his ban to two years as the judge (in this country doping can be a criminal offence) said that there was no proof that he intended to get it into his body, that there was no performance enhancing benefit etc) and then retired. I still have NFI what happened - and I hope he doesn't either! - but I'd still have a beer with him. 

On 27/11/2020 at 5:25 PM, dazaau said:

Fair. But 40k and a year ban is pretty serious stuff for a pro triathlete. 

And while he didn't tweet about his treatment he did put it on the race form.

Really should have taken more care, the risk of having the TUE knocked back was clearly too high. 

I don't know, these are professionals, not some noob AGer. When it comes to TUEs, taking medication, supplements etc you just don't mess around. "Oh I bought some supplements from Russia online" isn't good enough. Professional athletes are wanting flexibility and latitude when it comes to drug testing, they want the likes of WADA to have an easy going attitude, but that's not how it should be. I totally support their black and white, hard stance. 

3 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

On the "bright" side for Starky, Covid has cancelled most of the races during his 13 month ban period.

Hahha one of the guys on my cycling team got a two week ban for telling an official to F-Off, we then went into lockdown & now racing has resumed two weeks later........

• Haha 1

Protect your friends but mouth off about anyone else Brad. 

I am disappointed in PTO, he knowingly took a banned substance, for a month, and raced a number of times. If he was still so sick he needed it how did he manage to race, and even worse for his bullshit story, race well? He was even told not to race by USADA, how can anyone say he did no wrong.

• Like 1

I don’t think starky is lying or telling a bullshit story. 

Nfi why the pto care now. 

the suspension is over in 28 days. 

he has to return about 7k in prize money that Ironman probably hadn’t even paid him yet given they seem to take about 12 months to pay out prize monies. 

On 03/12/2020 at 6:17 AM, Trier said:

Bullshit story that he continued to take a banned drug, claiming it was an emergency and not optional, even when he was well enough to race. 

That’s the nuts and bolts of it really. All he had to do was what he was told. I bet if it was someone else that beat him to a few $$$ he’d be jumping up and down about it. you really cant have it both ways. 

Now the PTO jumping on the bandwagon after it’s already done and dusted. What a complete waste of time and effort, they needed to get on it months ago. But alas, it’s all just PR for them (they’ve probably got a better marketing/PR team then Ironman from what I can see)