Hamilton Island Tri Video

Agreed. First year I did it took tri bike with 11-23 and deep dish rims. Fell off after coming to a standstill up the first hill when doing the bike course 'recce' on the Friday night. The race involved killing myself up that, resting on the short downhill and then trying to smash the airport runway.. needless to say I ended up walking most of the 5km...

3 hours ago, pieman said:

Agreed. First year I did it took tri bike with 11-23 and deep dish rims. Fell off after coming to a standstill up the first hill when doing the bike course 'recce' on the Friday night. The race involved killing myself up that, resting on the short downhill and then trying to smash the airport runway.. needless to say I ended up walking most of the 5km...

Yup.  After I put my wife's bike back together, I took it for a test ride up the first little hill to Mango Tree corner and thought damn this is tough.  And there was a much worse hill than that back up from the runway.

There were male & female bike giveaways - the bloke who got one did so because he had to stop for a spew on the 17.3% hill.

Saw muppets on full tri bikes with disc wheels. Maybe like us they did not know the course?

Lots of people walking bikes up hills and walking the run course.

But because I'd made my poor wife suffer, I put the seat up on her bike & did 2x 1hr training rides on bits of the course and some other areas.  Stupidly I tried to ride up One-Tree Hill which I reckon is 20+%.  Made it about 90% of the way up and thought bugger this.

23 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

Thanks for that video, it’s just dropped off my bucket list of events to do 😎

I think it's one of those races you don't think about as a race, more as an experience.

There is just no way to get into any sort of groove anywhere on that course, once the swim is done.

• 2 weeks later...