Torq gels - anyone using them?

If it's the same Torq as the UK I wasn't impressed. I think FastGear had them.

Edit: reason there not great in my opinion is they're just full of poor ingredients (maltodextrin is one - it's high GI - sugar spikes) not great for endurance sport. But it's super cheap to produce and a lot of companies are using it in their gels. 

Looking at the price $4 each for multodextrin is exxy

Edited by Crappy

I'm a little confused as well.

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I would have thought the low GI carbs would be more complex and therefore require more digestive effort. Something that is not going to happen when exercising at a reasonable level.

Something like sucrose is very high GI. Dextrose is only a touch better.  Generally suited to short events (ie. 90 min to 2 hours) where the energy crash happens after the finish line.

I thought Maltodrexin was popular in sports energy gels/bars/drinks because it was not as high GI as Sucrose or Dextrose, but still easy to digest (for most).  A more controlled release of energy without overtaxing the stomach and gut.

8 hours ago, Infinit Jase said:

Hi Crappy.  Geez you know a lot of stuff.  So exactly what ingredients and amounts would you put into your special gel?

I actually think that the Torq product is good.

So what's your relationship with Torq?

Thanks for being a dick and offering a passive aggressive reply. I guess that's what this place is, beat everyone down until they leave. 

3 hours ago, Surfer said:

Thanks Crappy, I did a search on Fast Gear, theyre selling for $5 per gel. You got a bargain at $4 !!

Apparently I can't math... Huma is $4/gel on Amazon I think (I use them and Muir mostly) 

• Thanks 1

I used to use torq gels. Main reason for stopping was getting them was a pain, where enduras I could get from the local chemist. 

I liked the rhubarb and custard flavour, mainly because it was still nice warm from a jersey pocket. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Crappy.  I don't have a relationship with Torq.  I'm Jase from Infinit Nutrition.  We custom make sports drinks and I use about 1 tonne of maltodextrin every 3/4 weeks.  That's why my name is InfinitJase.  I was asking a positive question about what your ideas are?  Keen to here your reply.

Hi Surfer.  No sorry we don't sell gels.  Our run product is  called Napalm and is sold as a powder.  You add it to a flask, every 60ml of powder in the flask = 1 gel.   Once you have measured the powder you add water and it dissolves.   It is a concentrate like a Gel but sorry it comes out in a liquid form.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Surfer said:

@Infinit Jase are you making a gel? My gut doesnt handle energy in a fluid form; I can only drink water

I'm surprised you struggle with energy in fluid form.  Are you sure the problem wasn't ingredient based, like fructose?

18 minutes ago, Rob said:

I'm surprised you struggle with energy in fluid form.  Are you sure the problem wasn't ingredient based, like fructose?

Hi Rob, yeah its not much fun trying to manage my gut issues which includes lactose & fructose intolerance. After trial, error, lots of puking in races & finally getting medical help, things are improving a lot