Tyre recommendations please

I’m looking recommendations for a set of new tyres for my race wheels. Clincher, 25mm to go on my Magic Cosmic rims. I don’t want tubeless. I would have gone with Conti GP 4000s but I can’t find them any more. 
I read a little about Michelin Power Time Trials, does anyone rate them? Also what does everyone think of latex tubes?

Edited by Mike Del

Are you looking for just speed or some longevity as well? 

Vittoria Corsa are my weapon of choice and they have the Corsa speed which I think is one of the fastest clinchers there are. 

And yes, latex tubes for speed, but they lose air fairly quickly - but again if it is for race day not a problem. 

• Like 2

Conti gp5000 has replaced the 4000.

I use them as everyday tires and really like them. Good puncture resistance and compliance blend.

Or Victoria rubino similar to above.

• Like 3

I have given up on Contis as I haven't worn out a pair in years, the sidewall always goes first.

In my cupboard are 2 x Pirelli P-Zeros which I am hearing good things about.

Edited by Naut
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Are you looking for just speed or some longevity as well? 

Vittoria Corsa are my weapon of choice and they have the Corsa speed which I think is one of the fastest clinchers there are. 

And yes, latex tubes for speed, but they lose air fairly quickly - but again if it is for race day not a problem. 

Probably just for races and the occasional hard training session on the Nundah crit track. I have a another bike and a couple of sets of wheels to do the bulk of my training on.

6 minutes ago, Naut said:

I have given up on Contis as I haven't worn out a pair in years, the sidewall always goes first.

In my cupboard are 2 x Pirelli P-Zeros which I am hearing good things about.

Yeh I have a pair of 23mm Conti 4000 on my training bike that are probably 4 years old and still going strong.

Im pretty keen to swap both my bikes over to 25mm. I think my old body will appreciate a slightly softer ride and safer cornering. Can’t believe I was on 19mm back in the day 

Edited by Mike Del

I have upgraded to the Conti 5000s and they are great so far. They also measure more true to size campared to other Contis which tended to be  wider than marked.

I’ve also heard good reports on the new Pirellis.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Probably just for races and the occasional hard training session on the Nundah crit track. I have a another bike and a couple of sets of wheels to do the bulk of my training on.

Get the Corsa speed with some latex tubes. Mmmm :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dazaau said:

Get the Corsa speed with some latex tubes. Mmmm :)

One of the fastest out there, they use this for the TDF TT section. I used them for one season, but had too many flats. Some people have used them in triathlon with no problems, but quite a few have had flats (see Slowtwitch). Thery are only really suited for short time trials on very clean roads. Which is what Vittoria state on their website.

• Thanks 1

I race on GP5000 (25mm front and 28mm rear). Train on the tyres I take off the race bike... GP4000s at the moment. When I retire the GP5000s off the race bike I’ll roll on them (generally I move the race tyres to the training bike when the training bike destroys the tyres). 

I had some Pirellis when they first hit Australia, but a bit of testing has shown that the GP5000 is still the go to. 

• Like 1

I'm currently on GP5000s 25s.  Seems to be a step up from the 4000s (an excellent tire) with some changes to the sidewalls (rolling resistance) and looks like a different compound on the road.  Have has someone complain about punctures but none for me so far (touch wood).  Getting  a bit exxy now but - the 4000s could be had for under $50 - 5000s are closer to $70

11 hours ago, zed said:

One of the fastest out there, they use this for the TDF TT section. I used them for one season, but had too many flats. Some people have used them in triathlon with no problems, but quite a few have had flats (see Slowtwitch). Thery are only really suited for short time trials on very clean roads. Which is what Vittoria state on their website.

Interesting. I hate flats. 

I had a tubeless tyre disaster this morning that robbed me of a lovely bike ride and instead I got up at 4am for a short ride followed by a long walk :( I'm still spewing.  

• Like 1

Because of the cat heads and road conditions in Bathurst I ride clinchers with inner tubes and sealant. Other than a sticky valve sometimes, very rarely get flats. Yes it makes them slightly heavier,  but I would rather have uninterrupted rides due to flats.

1 hour ago, fiftyplus said:

Yes it makes them slightly heavier,  but I would rather have uninterrupted rides due to flats.

Im sure I read somewhere that it may make them heavier but doesn’t make them slower

Rolling resistance isn’t increased with the addition of sealant 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, fiftyplus said:

Because of the cat heads and road conditions in Bathurst I ride clinchers with inner tubes and sealant. Other than a sticky valve sometimes, very rarely get flats. Yes it makes them slightly heavier,  but I would rather have uninterrupted rides due to flats.

Does sealant work ok with tubes? Does it play nice? If so seems like it could be but versatile and less fuss than a tubeless tyre. I think I was reading on cyclingtips that some pro teams are using it for tubulars.

Edited by dazaau

2 hours ago, dazaau said:

Does sealant work ok with tubes? Does it play nice? If so seems like it could be but versatile and less fuss than a tubeless tyre. I think I was reading on cyclingtips that some pro teams are using it for tubulars.

I’ve not had experience with tubeless tyres but It’s easy to put in the inner tubes as long as you have removable valves and when you finish your ride you leave the valves at the 4 o’clock position so the sealant doesn’t clog your valves or squirt out when you next pump up your tyres

Most riders here run sealant in there inner tubes with clinchers or tubeless. I’ve even heard of parents taking their kids prams and bikes to the bike shop to get sealant or thicker tubes in the tyres because of punctures.

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Mr Tinman said:

Im sure I read somewhere that it may make them heavier but doesn’t make them slower

Rolling resistance isn’t increased with the addition of sealant 

It should slow them down? It's the overall weight of the wheel, tyre, glue, sealant etc isn't it? I read that people were factoring in the extra 30g of sealant needed for tubeless when looking at race wheels, tyres etc.

No way you could measure the difference that 30g extra would make on a rolling course.

Maybe someone like Alex could calculate the difference that 30g would make climbing Alp d’Huez but you and I wouldn’t ever know or feel the difference 

besides, don’t fully fill your bidon and you’ve offset the difference 

1 minute ago, Mr Tinman said:

No way you could measure the difference that 30g extra would make on a rolling course.

Maybe someone like Alex could calculate the difference that 30g would make climbing Alp d’Huez but you and I wouldn’t ever know or feel the difference 

besides, don’t fully fill your bidon and you’ve offset the difference 

30g to the wheel is different to 30g on the bike as the wheel is turning. There's some formula for calculating how much faster/slower you go with each gram added to the wheel.

That said, I've gone from average tyres with butly tubes to the fastest tubs with latex and not noticed much (any) difference. I did notice the difference when I tried out Gatorkins and lost 2km/hr straight away. 

Where are you guys buying your latex tubes from? I've got a set of GP5000's ready to put on but want a set of latex tubes to go with them but none of the local shops have them and wiggle is charging $25 dollars for postage which doubles to the cost

I run the Maxxis High Road HYPR K2 clinchers off the back of a recommendation from a friend. They've been pretty good so far and I haven't had any dramas. Seem to have lots of lateral and longitudinal grip and I haven't had a puncture yet. Picked them up off BikeBug.

• Like 1

I have the Conti 5000 on my TT bike. Only 1 puncture, sadly during a race. They feel fast.

On my road bike I need to replace the tubeless tyres that came with the bike. I converted the wheels back to tubed. I got sick of getting back from extended periods away and having two flat tyres with a puddle of sealant on the floor. I am hoping that different tyres might seal better and I can go back to tubeless.