What's 2020 taught us so far?

• It's the very very small stuff that can hurt you the most - whoever said don't sweat the small stuff didn't know what they were talking about
  • The bad guys don't always win
  • Pro sports without crowds is just a training ground hit out - maybe the TV channels and teams will take note and put the fans first
  • The world is no longer a small place - without international travel it's massive!
  • WFH is not the pleasure it once was!
  • 'Medical advice' is whatever the pollies want it to be to get themselves re-elected
  • Australia is not a country, it's a loose collection of parochial states and territories

What else?

• Like 1

To let shit go. Both literally and figuratively. We don't need as much shit as we thought we did, and we certainly don't need to hold onto (mentally) anywhere near as much shit as we do......well, I do/did.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Ironnerd said:

To live in the present. There is no point in worrying about a future that you have no control over.

Bang on. 

I really missed swimming

I really missed and freedom. At times I’ve felt like I’m in jail. 

the prime minister and federal politicians have zero power in Australia. 
kids actually love school. 

West Australia is more backward than I thought. 

That you can discuss politics on a forum if people play the ball and not the man!!!!.

Good people will step up under pressure and bad people will be true to type. Choose your outcomes 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Peter said:

West Australia is more backward than I thought. 

I would be happy to live in a backward state with a booming economy, no lockdowns, no masks, no Covid, pools are open, no annoying Victorians.😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

I would be happy to live in a backward state with a booming economy, no lockdowns, no masks, no Covid, pools are open, no annoying Victorians.😀

Haha. 

On 09/11/2020 at 1:59 PM, truck said:
  • Pro sports without crowds is just a training ground hit out - maybe the TV channels and teams will take note and put the fans first

I actually don't mind it. I do laugh when people say that cannot play well unless there is a big crowd. I played district level soccer and we rarely had a big crowd. Always played to my best. Each to their own.

Be interested to know if anyone has done an analysis of the level of penalties for the 'home' team when there is no crowd.

• Like 1

Conspiracy theories and stupid people are the new plague.  Supported and fueled by people too stupid to know how stupid they are it is the new nutter religion - facts don't matter any more - they believe in the man with the cowboy hat who say "Big pharma is screwing you don't listen to them! Listen to (uneducated and unqualified) me instead!"

image.png.e873037060572f9bd3027d2ebc7f5325.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

When shit really hits the fan, governments actually have a lot more money to spend than they make out. I've been very impressed with the Federal Govts response to the pandemic.  It was their 'Churchill moment' to which the opposition have had no credible criticism of.

Fishing is one sport that can easily survive Armageddon.

I hate the office.

I miss swimming when it is not an option.

Scratch building models is far more rewarding & challenging than buying kits.

Superglue sticks things to your fingers much better than it sticks things to what you're trying to glue them to.

Watching Manly & the Broncos be completely rubbish is good, but the joy is cancelled by another Storm premiership 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 09/11/2020 at 4:30 PM, Peter said:

kids actually love school. 

Yes, yes and yes. I work in Education covering Far Nth Qld. More specifically, in many of the most rural and remote communities. My role is to partner all those in community who work with 0 to 6.  It was amazing the sudden appreciation for teachers. I ran many of my early childhood community networking meetings virtually. Teachers, early childhood teachers and partners were still willing to come together through the height of lockdown. Their love for their students (and families) and doing everything in their power was so inspiring to be part of. It did come at a cost. A lot of burnout and now extended leave.  Parent engagement during and post certainly increased. Many of these people had crisis in their own lives. A now friend in Cooktown could not get to Melbourne to turn off her dads life support. She did get to the funeral and the whole community supported her to quarantine at home. Many mums having to fly to Cairns to have babies. Then quarantining in hotels with no family support. No one complained. It was what it was. They also knew this the virus got into these communities the outcome would have been devastating. Their strength has given me many highs, new friendships and many lows.  I love being part of these communities. I have been able to start travelling this term.....there may have been a few hugs on arrival

Edited by skel
  • Like 6