Any negatives to buying Canyon?

Can you only buy these direct from Canyon, or can you get it through a bike shop.

Bike shops are great for fixing little problems and handling any warranty issues.  Far more hassle if you need to do that yourself.

Is there a Canyon distributor close to you, or will you need to deal with someone overseas?

No personal experience, but from what I've seen the Canyon bikes look great. But I prefer to buy via a 'good' bike shop that will look after me after the sale.

• Like 1

No purchase history with them. Can vouch for the Canyon AU team being great people. I've crossed paths with them at trade shows/events for the last few years. 

• Like 1

Not sure what they're like now but they were a complete shit show a couple of years ago. Couldn't answer simple basic questions. Emailed the EU to ask and they sent my enquiry back to Australia 🤦‍♂️ 

I never ended up buying a Canyon, after hearing about a few issues, especially with spare parts. Went with local and would continue to do the same personally. 

• Like 1

Just bought one and love it. After my order it arrived 7 days later. It was easy to put together. The only issue I had was I didn't know where to charge the Di2. I rang the Aussie service centre and they were great. You charge it via a small plug in the bar end. Couldn't see that without my glasses. Thoroughly recommend

• Like 1

Have just purchased a new gravel bike and would have loved to go with Canyon but I struggle with shelling out bulk coin for something I can see and touch in the flesh prior.

On paper they look excellent value but as above!

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Ayto said:

Have just purchased a new gravel bike and would have loved to go with Canyon but I struggle with shelling out bulk coin for something I can see and touch in the flesh prior.

On paper they look excellent value but as above!

I was the same but I got to ride one at the TDU, so knew what I was getting

• Like 2

I’ve had 3. Great bike like lots of other brands, the biggest attraction is value for money at the higher end.

Service for ordering parts has been exceptional for me, generally call me the day of an email to clarify and then the part arrives within a couple of days. The one limitation is that I have found bike shops can’t get their parts (and visibility) through normal supply chains and tend to raise their hands if there is an issue.

• Like 1

Canyon Oz (And EU) are great and very very easy to deal with probably a lot easier than some bike shops these days 

bikes are amazing and great value especially in the mid to high end 

you won’t  get better with German enginering thrown in 

• Like 2
On 06/11/2020 at 4:02 PM, 2bruisedplums said:

I need a new road bike and am thinking of a new Canyon Aeroad. Has anyone had any negative experiences with Canyon?

I don't have one but a couple of friends do.
Just comparing my experience of owning a Trek vs their experience.
One had a frame that needed replacing and they said it was a major hassle.
I had an issue with a Trek part and they simply replaced straight away.
Trek or other in store brands can discuss face to face. 
Trek has life time warranty on the frame and with any parts I can simply speak to them to discuss. With Canyon its all online.
With Trek I don't pay for shipping. Canyon you do.
In store you can negotiate the price, Canyon don't. (In my experience)

I have considered a canyon but didn't find them to really be that great when it comes to value. (For Tri bikes)

In store you can also see bikes in the flesh before making a decision. Not an option with Canyon.

Also I purchased a speed concept which has gone up in price from $5,500 to $6k. 
However comparing to a Canyon speedmax in a similar spec which however comes in DI2 not mechanical is $9,149 + $199 for postage and then need a mechanic to build. 

If comparing similar road options:
Trek Madone disc with carbon wheels and Ultegra di2 $11,799
Canyon aeroad disc with carbon wheels and Ultegra di2 $7,849 +199 for shipping + build 

The road options there is certainly better value. 
However Trek road bikes I believe are over priced and there are better options out there when it comes to value to compare it to.

What are the most important things for you? 

For me I haven't found a bike to beat the speed concept but it would be hard for me to find something to beat the aeroad for an aero road bike with high end on a budget as the focus. 

• Like 1

I agree with Macka. Canyon seemed to have come back to the field in pricing. Once really good, now seemed middle of the pack.

For example, you can pick up a Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 2 TT bike, with better components, integrated aero bottles and components and a power meter for the same price at a CF 7.0 and you can see it in store with local bike shop support as Macka mentioned.

The Canyons are sexy though 🙂

When I was looking (admittedly a couple of years ago), with the equivalent Giant women's roadie I had to choose between di2 and disc brakes - hopefully giant has lifted its game since then 

23 hours ago, Rog said:

The main downside of buying one is that it’s not a Cervelo. 

Thats not a glitch, that's a feature

Next roadie will be a Canyon. 

Value for money proposition is just too good compared to other brands.

Only negatives are deciding between colours and models (I went stealth black ultimate) and obsessing over the tracking updates.

Only took a week or so for the roadie once orders but I couldn’t stop myself from looking for updates. Experience so good a few years ago with road bike I bought a mtb from them last year. Couldn’t be happier. Amazing bikes. Comes mostly assembled, just have to attach handlebars, seat post and front wheel. Tuned and indexed perfectly. No mechanic needed.

Someone in Melbourne rang after mtb purchase as sales / service follow up. 

I bought a Speedmax CF 7.0 from Canyon a few months back. Nothing but praise for the buying process. Punched in my height and inseam and was recommended a Medium. Bike arrived in 7 days. Well packaged in the bike box. Was very easy to assemble (non DI2 it must be noted). Love the bike and would definately buy from them again.