Ironman Florida 2020

Well its on This weekend. 

im not sure how many on this site still follow triathlons but for those that do, here are the start lists and rankings. 

Solid men’s race.  

F29D4264-7D6E-472E-A85E-2BB6D9F6BA07.jpeg

133B93F2-69FA-4109-9E5E-0ACB1CC510DE.jpeg

Heather Jackson will take the womens.... Anyones guess in the mens - quite a few names capable of the victory. If not too hot...maybe Tim Read but most likely a Matt Russell win

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 1
55 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

Florida has 4000+ new cases of Covid every day. I hope that the athletes stay safe.

I saw the video of a pro and she was impressed.  Lots of one way and masks mandatory etc...

It looked pretty legit.

No idea how many starters there are

I find it amazing that the 3rd ironman for the year has been run and its November, and there has been no discussion. 

and this is a triathlon site.  

glad I don’t own it. 

I've been tracking Chris Nikic...first person with down syndrome to attempt a full IM. He is at the 33km mark of the run, looking likely (at this point) to come in under 17 hours

• Like 7
30 minutes ago, Fresh said:

I've been tracking Chris Nikic...first person with down syndrome to attempt a full IM. He is at the 33km mark of the run, looking likely (at this point) to come in under 17 hours

They are live streaming him running the last 2 miles. 😁

Edited by skel
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, Fresh said:

Meanwhile I woke up this morning and thought, CBF riding today... #perspective

I woke up this morning and first thought was, can't be bothered going for a run.  Thought about Chris and said to myself, if he is doing what he is today then i can get my lazy ar$e out of bed for a run.  Amazing effort from him and his crew.

Edited by Stuie016
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, Peter said:

Awesome effort by the kid.  

I still can’t get over the woman’s winners time. 

Why? Men's winner rode 4.01 and she rode 4.36. Given those bike times I'm not surprised at the overall times. 

4 hours ago, Crappy said:

Why? Men's winner rode 4.01 and she rode 4.36. Given those bike times I'm not surprised at the overall times. 

Not many women have gone sub 8:41 at Ironmans. Or I should say, not many women that haven’t been kona world champions have gone sub 8:40

i know Ryf Wellington carfrea all have. I think Caroline stefan did at busso.  Not sure any others. 

Edited by Peter
44 minutes ago, Peter said:

Not many women have gone sub 8:41 at Ironmans. Or I should say, not many women that haven’t been kona world champions have gone sub 8:40

i know Ryf Wellington carfrea all have. I think Caroline stefan did at busso.  Not sure any others. 

We'll considering Starky rode 4.02 at Florida, must've been a very good day for a 4.01. 

Not too many men have nearly broken 4hrs on the bike..... 

17 hours ago, Crappy said:

Screenshot_20201107-204024_IRONMAN.thumb.jpg.2763392743c916a0b53b06547649613a.jpg

Guy at work has a son with Downs, was starting to tell him about it this morning but he already knew about it.  Ironman's media dept must be doing a good job to reach non athletes like that. Good on em. 

Not sure if people are aware but folks with Downs, apart from the cognitive issues also usually suffer from very low muscle tone so it makes something the magnitude of the Ironman a huge achievement. 

• Like 1
Just now, roxii said:

Guy at work has a son with Downs, was starting to tell him about it this morning but he already knew about it.  Ironman's media dept must be doing a good job to reach non athletes like that. Good on em. 

Not sure if people are aware but folks with Downs, apart from the cognitive issues also usually suffer from very low muscle tone so it makes something the magnitude of the Ironman a huge achievement. 

It was Chris' dad/family/friends that did the majority of it and deserve the credit. Ironman just jumped on it late... 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, AA7 said:

On a hybrid bike too. I got goosebumps watching him finish yesterday.

With flat pedals. Ventum gave him a bike but I don't think he'll ever ride it. This is what he's used to and can manage (it's setup up like that on purpose). 

1 hour ago, Crappy said:

With flat pedals. Ventum gave him a bike but I don't think he'll ever ride it. This is what he's used to and can manage (it's setup up like that on purpose). 

Yeh of course, agree totally.

On 08/11/2020 at 2:43 PM, Fresh said:

Couldn’t walk until he was 4

couldnt eat solid foods until he was 5

NBC interview pre race 

https://tinylink.net/MYMzy

They discussed the race on IM Talk. The average swim times were ~ 5 minutes slower than expected. So to have 5 men go under 8 hours and 5 women go under 9 hours is impressive. Must be a fast course.

On 13/11/2020 at 6:34 AM, Peter said:

Worth a watch.

- the 83 year old doing his 55th race

- The lady whos had 12 knee surgerys over 5 years

- The guy who lost his job in Septemeber

- The guy who lsot his daughter but made her a promise to do get fit and do something

- The lady who lost her best friend in March.

I almost didn't watch this one because I thought it would be the same old format etc but I liked this one.  

On 10/11/2020 at 11:39 AM, Peter said:

Couldn’t walk until he was 4

couldnt eat solid foods until he was 5

NBC interview pre race 

https://tinylink.net/MYMzy

4-8 hours a day is training time. 

My word. Even if that is exaggerated as per the usual media amount, that is so much dedication to the task. 

• Thanks 1