Training the Mind

Guest Jim Shortz

Guest Jim Shortz

OK... 

Deep question... 

Listening to The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle after reading it 11 years ago. 

How many people believe that ego, the cultivation of it, effect the training/diet and recovery of themselves? 

I felt at times during the Busso thing that the only time I was "present" was during a session and the rest of the time was planning and preparing for the next day/s*. Because listening to it, it seems that I was apparently driven by ego, to plan and worry about the tomorrow when I was actually meant to be in the present.... For peace. 

Because that's what I am trying to do now. Become more quiet in my head in every day life. So I am confused. 

Is there a coaches website that talks about this stuff? Podcast? In relation to training etc? Would I be right guessing Grant Giles was that way inclined? Fat Black Podcast which was... can't remember the dude, married Charlotte Paul...? 

Are there any folks that have read this book, and understood it, then practised it in every day life? 

Message me personally if you want to. No stress 👍

*DEFINITELY NOT HAVING A DIG AT THE MKC PROGRAM 

I wouldn't be looking towards Grant Giles for help here... He's a bit whacky and out of touch for the everyday person. 

I don't really know where to point you. It's a personal thing and sometimes it's just about finding those that resonate with what you're in need of. 

Guest Jim Shortz

Yeah. 

But being told and hearing "what resonates" with you can snuff out growth and learning. Not testing your boundaries etc 👍✌️

Cheers re the Giles info 

12 hours ago, Jim Shortz said:

OK... 

Deep question... 

Listening to The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle after reading it 11 years ago. 

How many people believe that ego, the cultivation of it, effect the training/diet and recovery of themselves? 

I felt at times during the Busso thing that the only time I was "present" was during a session and the rest of the time was planning and preparing for the next day/s*. Because listening to it, it seems that I was apparently driven by ego, to plan and worry about the tomorrow when I was actually meant to be in the present.... For peace. 

Because that's what I am trying to do now. Become more quiet in my head in every day life. So I am confused. 

Is there a coaches website that talks about this stuff? Podcast? In relation to training etc? Would I be right guessing Grant Giles was that way inclined? Fat Black Podcast which was... can't remember the dude, married Charlotte Paul...? 

Are there any folks that have read this book, and understood it, then practised it in every day life? 

Message me personally if you want to. No stress 👍

*DEFINITELY NOT HAVING A DIG AT THE MKC PROGRAM 

you are better of spending 30 minutes a day meditating than listening to Eckhart Tolle or listening to any podcast if you really want to quiet your mind and have a clearer perspective. 

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Prince said:

you are better of spending 30 minutes a day meditating than listening to Eckhart Tolle or listening to any podcast if you really want to quiet your mind and have a clearer perspective. 

This is my thinking as well. As someone who has a "busy" mind (thanks ADHD) I find that taking, and trying to implement, that sort of advice only gives me more things to think and worry about. 

• Like 1

I like the various takes on this that come up on the rich roll podcast at different times. Over the years he has had many fascinating discussions where some of this comes up.

I hope this topic generates numerous responses....thanks for putting it out there Jim

I think and talk about this a bit and still trying to work stuff out myself. Here's what I am thinking.

• Eckhart Tolle is way out there. I loved his books and the clips of him but I sort of think to be like him you have to have zero passion, zero interest, nada. Thats not how im built or how i want to live my life. I get the whole ego thing and it was a good starting point for me 
  • Triathlon can be so goal focused unless you take stock of how fun each session is. It really is pretty cool what we do. This year i had to take stock of why i did the sport. Its because i loved it. I got a bit lost along the way with only focusing on a goal and it became a chore
  • Not everything is fun when you are doing it. Some things are fun upon reflection. The fun can also be in the people, the weather, whatever
  • Nothing wrong with thinking of the next thing. Its what has made us survive. I get excited about heaps of stuff and am always thinking of the next and new thing. I get a feeling Eckhart would have died off quickly 500 years ago
  • I need to chill more often. Running at 110% means you cant get through 100% of the day. Its tough
  • The group and people are everything. A good conversation and banter is 'the now'

Take it easy and look after yourself!

• Like 1

Prince makes a good point about meditation. Ive read about people that practice meditation & have friends that do it, it seems like a good way to gai  balance & calm.  Me? Im crap at meditation! Been to various retreats & classes & those wafty sing-song voices do my head in like finger nails on a chalkboard. I was told to try active meditation which for me is swimming where I count my strokes & breathing. I cant think about other stuff 'cos I lose count. I swim peacefully & relaxed. Love it!

• Like 2