Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So this chap just won the Queen stage and is only 12 seconds off the pink jersey with only the last ITT to settle the GC. I confess I’ve never heard of him until 2 days ago. Now he is on the cusp of being Australia’s second Grand Tour winner. Who still follows pro cycling enough to have some background info on him?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

So this chap just won the Queen stage and is only 12 seconds off the pink jersey with only the last ITT to settle the GC. I confess I’ve never heard of him until 2 days ago. Now he is on the cusp of being Australia’s second Grand Tour winner. Who still follows pro cycling enough to have some background info on him?

Oops, there’s also a brutal stage 20 before the ITT.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

A Perth lad. Cycling stats has international results for him back to 2013.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/jai-hindley/2013

Not a lot of information about him on the web.

The fella that one the previous day was also from Perth? Imagine having to race against both of them as juniors ... 😂 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Never heard of the guy and to be honest haven't really been watching pro cycling for a few years. It got boring with Team Sky and Froome. It's controlled by people in cars etc and I just kinda feel a bit meh about grand tours. 

The classics I still enjoy, a car can't do too much if a big tactical mistake is made, or mechanical etc. It's a bit more open and anything can happen. 

Basically cycling is becoming a bit dull very much like the ITU did before Browsers, Gomez and others changed it for the better. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Crappy said:

Never heard of the guy and to be honest haven't really been watching pro cycling for a few years. It got boring with Team Sky and Froome. It's controlled by people in cars etc and I just kinda feel a bit meh about grand tours. 

The classics I still enjoy, a car can't do too much if a big tactical mistake is made, or mechanical etc. It's a bit more open and anything can happen. 

Basically cycling is becoming a bit dull very much like the ITU did before Browsers, Gomez and others changed it for the better. 

This season hasn’t been the usual race controlled by one team. Its actually  Been the best in many many years. 

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bosco said:

Kelderman ‘should’ TT better than the other podium guys but who knows......

The last ITT is the same length as the first and dead flat. So a comparison between how the GC guys fared on stage one is appropriate. I’d say Jai will be in the mix.

However, tonight’s stage - featuring three climbs up to Sestriere at the finish, will probably make the ITT pretty academic, in so far as the Pink jersey is concerned.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile in the giro 

 

Giro d'italia race director Mauro Vegni has hit out at the event's riders saying there will be "consequences" for their protests on stage 19. 
Source: 
SBS Cycling Central 
2 HOURS AGO  

Riders sat out more than half of Friday's planned 258km race from Morbegno to Asti after concerns were raised over racing in heavy rain.

Giro organisers agreed with the Professional Cyclist's Association to start the days racing 124km from the finish.

Czech rider Josef Cerny of CCC won the stage, while Sunweb's Australian rider Jai Hindley moved to within 12 seconds of GC leader and teammate Wilco Kelderman.

 
In an interview with Eurosport, Vegni said he was disappointed with how the situation was handled by the riders.

"[I'm] very upset about the way it's happened. It isn't the right way to resolve these issues," he said.

"I think there are going to be words with lawyers - I don't think it's respectful to the race or people who want to watch.

"Today the parcours [course] was lovely. There will be consequences because of the behaviour of the riders."

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Peter said:

Meanwhile in the giro 

 

Giro d'italia race director Mauro Vegni has hit out at the event's riders saying there will be "consequences" for their protests on stage 19. 
Source: 
SBS Cycling Central 
2 HOURS AGO  

Riders sat out more than half of Friday's planned 258km race from Morbegno to Asti after concerns were raised over racing in heavy rain.

Giro organisers agreed with the Professional Cyclist's Association to start the days racing 124km from the finish.

Czech rider Josef Cerny of CCC won the stage, while Sunweb's Australian rider Jai Hindley moved to within 12 seconds of GC leader and teammate Wilco Kelderman.

 
In an interview with Eurosport, Vegni said he was disappointed with how the situation was handled by the riders.

"[I'm] very upset about the way it's happened. It isn't the right way to resolve these issues," he said.

"I think there are going to be words with lawyers - I don't think it's respectful to the race or people who want to watch.

"Today the parcours [course] was lovely. There will be consequences because of the behaviour of the riders."

What I don't get is why the union has not done anything about dodgy descents, poor road quality, unsafe finish lines etc. But the one time they stand up it's over a flat stage that is just "too long".

I'm all for the riders looking out for their health, but this is a very odd hill to die on. Hopefully they use this power more often on the future to actually improve safety, rather than being over tired.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter said:

What union? 

Isn't that what the professional cyclist's association is? A collection of employees (union) to stand up to the employer's unreasonable demands? Basically? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jai in Pink! Awesome ride last night by Dennis to keep Geoghan-Hart in touch and ultimately win the stage in a sprint over Jai. The boys start the ITT equal in time in the GC, but with the pundits backing the Ineous rider - he beat Jai in the second ITT, wasn’t trying 100% in the first - as he was riding in support of Thomas at that point - and had a better ITT in the Trentino. We’ll see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dazaau said:

Isn't that what the professional cyclist's association is? A collection of employees (union) to stand up to the employer's unreasonable demands? Basically? 

I didn’t think so.  Happy to be proven wrong. 
 

its what lance seems to rant about a lot that they should. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Aidan said:

An Australian in pink at the Giro with one day to go, I never thought I’d see the day. Fantastic for Australian cycling 

I thought I’d have seen both Cadel and Richie nail the Giro before now.

Hindley seems assured of a podium, but the more I look at TT form, the more I have a sinking feeling that Teo is going to work him over. Please let me be wrong. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jai is such a quiet and nice kid . So happy to see him doing well. He lives not far from Me and have known him since he was 14 . I raced him in a handicap on the track so he as track speed

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chris said:

Jai is such a quiet and nice kid . So happy to see him doing well. He lives not far from Me and have known him since he was 14 . I raced him in a handicap on the track so he as track speed

Did you beat him?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Flower said:

Did you beat him?

Doesn't sound like it... I know Kyrgios and beat him a few times. I let everyone know about it. 

I'm 8 years older and he was 14. But, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story (he wasn't that good at 14, he was just starting to make massive leaps)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mr Flower said:

Did you beat him?

Yep and I have the photo to prove it

We all used to ride b grade Friday night track 

a few of the kids went ok . Sam welsford and jai have done ok

Was chatting to jai just before the nationals we were reminiscing about the old Friday night track 

Edited by chris
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chris said:

Yep and I have the photo to prove it

We all used to ride b grade Friday night track 

a few of the kids went ok . Sam welsford and jai have done ok

Was chatting to jai just before the nationals we were reminiscing about the old Friday night track 

Sam Welsford is an animal on the bike. Will turn pro after the olympics 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

I thought I’d have seen both Cadel and Richie nail the Giro before now.

Hindley seems assured of a podium, but the more I look at TT form, the more I have a sinking feeling that Teo is going to work him over. Please let me be wrong. 

Agreed. Go Hindley! 

And not just because he is Australian... But also the anyone but ineos factor 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Look at pics of O’Grady on the track v his rod days. He will be fine 

He has the want to win more than anyone i have seen. I have seen Sam race as a 10 year old and he had it then he was a freak at 10 years old. We used to get smash by them as 15 old kids they just swapped off , Sam, theo yates ,reece tucknott and Jai on a Friday night. Lucky they had restricted gears.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, chris said:

He has the want to win more than anyone i have seen. I have seen Sam race as a 10 year old and he had it then he was a freak at 10 years old. We used to get smash by them as 15 old kids they just swapped off , Sam, theo yates ,reece tucknott and Jai on a Friday night. Lucky they had restricted gears.

He keeps taking my KOMs. I just tip my hat to him & go find another one I can get. I know I won’t be getting that one back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...