Cycling Royal National park in the shire

Never ridden there but work want me to spend some time in the shire. Is that the go to ride route? 

how hilly compared to say bobbin head in turramurra?

is it relative safe ?

groups for slow old guys?

Royal National Park (RNP) has two entry points heading South from Sutherland. One at Loftus which takes you through Audley via Artillery Hill and to turn offs to several beaches. I'm not a fan of this route as it can be relatively busy but only locals and day trippers and no shoulder but many ride it. I prefer the Southern entry at Waterfall and Head South down Waterfall Hill and through RNP to Bald Hill and loop back to Old Princes Hwy/New Princes Hwy back to Sutho. I usually do the reverse though because less motor traffic heading north. Waterfall Hill is similar to Bobbin Head from memory. This section of the Park is relatively safe with low speed limits. If you wanted to climb you can do repeats of Waterfall and/Garie Hills and and even detour via Otford and do "The Wall". Easier rides can be done by still heading south on Princes Hwy Motorway/Old Princes Hwy to Sublime Point and return (70k's?).

Depending how far you wanted to ride you can detour via Darks Forest (safe) or head toward Wollongong at Bald Hill (busier but relatively safe). There are heaps of riders in large and small groups and older guys (me) and motorists tend to be more aware and tolerant of us but you can still encounter the odd bogan.

There is a hazardous (traffic) section returning North through Heathcote/Engadine where you need traffic skills.

In a nutshell - cycling here is good! 

• Thanks 1