Re-purposing Retired Helmets

3 hours ago, POT said:

There’s a few of them hanging up like that on fences along the Lilydale-Warburton rail trail. 

Yes, and I hate them! How about you? To me they do not look good. Draping everywhere. I live in mount Evelyn so I see them a lot :) I am often tempted to remove them or ask the council to 😂

this doesn't mean iFoz's wouldn't be pretty in real life :)

3 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Those helmets look all new. Better than the ones I race and ride in :(

I just got a new helmet, my last one was 8 years. It was time as I haven't stayed on top of my bike all the time during that period :) But I don't see any evidence anywhere that you need to replace a helmet outside a crash. My mates reckon every three years, but from my reading foam doesn't deteriorate and as long as there are no crashes and the shell isn't deteriorating why replace? I plan on my latest helmet lasting a while, and it better cause it was $$$ 😂

Edited by dazaau

Love it :) 

with four (now grown and gone(ish)) I have an oversupply of old helmets in the shed.....

but I could not bring myself to do that to my old Giro AeroHead....

2 hours ago, dazaau said:

Yes, and I hate them! How about you? To me they do not look good. Draping everywhere. I live in mount Evelyn so I see them a lot :) I am often tempted to remove them or ask the council to 😂

Yeah, I thought they looked untidy, a bit like lost property someone has just hung on a fence post. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Those helmets look all new. Better than the ones I race and ride in :(

The plastic head bands and adjusters had failed on them due to sweat corrosion. (My only complaint about the Catlike Whispers). The orange and blue Kompact on the left, was my first IM helmet.