I hate the things, I know we take a risk swimming and it’s their territory and all that stuff but I love open water swimming and I recon the more shark nets and drum lines the better.

I had a 4mt+ tiger shark follow me on my ski for 3k off Caloundra Head once. She just sat about 20mts behind me the whole way. Years later I swam the Magnetic Island to Townsville open water race and on the way over to the island a deckie on the ferry told me the area is Aus’s biggest tiger shark breeding ground and there’s no way he’d get in the water out there.  For the whole 8k swim all I could think about was that big tiger.

A few of the guys I swim train with at Sutton’s Beach Redcliffe recon they’ve been bumped by bull sharks while swimming there. I recon if that happened to me it would be the the end of me swimming there.

Edited by Mike Del

The only reason they’re called sharks is because when God was going around naming things, the word motherf**ker was taken when he got to these pricks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Flanman said:

I have a 6 metre 115hp driven boat and I don’t go one and a half kms offshore. He went in a kayak. 

FM

Big Chris told me that when  he was in the surf club they would head out from Cronulla on surf skis due east, for "a while"  beyond where they could no longer see land , then turn around (hopefully 180 degrees) and head back. This is before Cronulla had lots of high rise making it a lot harder to spot from out there. 

My response was "fu*k that!" 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, roxii said:

Big Chris told me that when  he was in the surf club they would head out from Cronulla on surf skis due east, for "a while"  beyond where they could no longer see land , then turn around (hopefully 180 degrees) and head back. This is before Cronulla had lots of high rise making it a lot harder to spot from out there. 

My response was "fu*k that!" 

We would take newbies out 500mts in rubber duckies then kick them out and make them play volleyball over the shark net, then leave them to swim back to shore of course. I think times have changed now though 

37 minutes ago, Peter said:

This is a whale right?

Easiest way to tell is that Whales like in the clip have a horizontal tail and sharks vertical. 

Edit: Dolphin's tails are also horizontal. Both are mammals and have evolved differently to fish including sharks from what I just read.

Edited by Dalai