Police and unreasonable fines

I realise that not all policemen/women are like this and in general they do a fantastic job under difficult circumstances, but sometimes I think they lose respect with unnecessary fines for minor infringements when a warning would have sufficed.

I live in Bathurst and their are a lot of extra police in town this weekend due to the Bathurst 1000, even though their are restricted numbers on spectators.

Cyclists are sometimes easy targets for the local police, but this morning, apparently, a group of runners got pinged and fined $78 each for not stopping and pressing the button at a crossing whe their was no traffic. I think they have quotas to meet and it’s too easy to pick on minor offences instead of getting the real offenders.

Are the police like this everywhere?

16 hours ago, fiftyplus said:

Cyclists are sometimes easy targets for the local police, but this morning, apparently, a group of runners got pinged and fined $78 each for not stopping and pressing the button at a crossing whe their was no traffic

Are the police like this everywhere?

Yes. Brisbane often has a CBD pedestrian blitz booking people who cross against the lights.   Generally occurs just after a pedestrian has been hit by a car.  

16 hours ago, fiftyplus said:

it’s too easy to pick on minor offences instead of getting the real offenders.

Whether you like it or not, these are "real" offenders.    You can't draw a line in the sand and say some should be booked and others not.  If you argue that its not hurting anybody then the counter argument might be that a car driving too close to a cyclist isn't hurting anybody either so why book them?   

So I don't have a problem with pedestrians or cyclists or motorists being booked for doing the wrong thing.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, -- AJ -- said:

Yes. Brisbane often has a CBD pedestrian blitz booking people who cross against the lights.   Generally occurs just after a pedestrian has been hit by a car.  

Whether you like it or not, these are "real" offenders.    You can't draw a line in the sand and say some should be booked and others not.  If you argue that its not hurting anybody then the counter argument might be that a car driving too close to a cyclist isn't hurting anybody either so why book them?   

So I don't have a problem with pedestrians or cyclists or motorists being booked for doing the wrong thing.

It usually happens when there is new intake at the police college.  Quite good training for them having to deal with jaywalkers...