Nepean Triathlon

What I know so far:

• Wetsuit - Temperature taken by the unofficial TOs present at the PTC race about 3pm on Sunday was 20.5 - but I was told it was cool, windy and rainy part of last week, so dropped it from 21.9 that we took the week before at the Hills race (we had come in from a hotter week).
  • Swim - I've heard that they will be making the swim course a 1km straight line (which should allow for physical distancing), so bring thongs you are prepared to chuck as we all lack "thong biatches" for this race. 🤣
  • Bike - Looks like 3 laps of a 10k course, regatta centre and Old Castlereagh Rd, get prepped for some U-turns! 
  • Run - Aid stations on the run will be there with the usual 3, and they will be grab and go. 

Edit: looks like Nepean has updated on Facebook. Damn, my wave is last. You slow male cyclists better watch out!

• PRO M 6:45
  • PRO F 6:47
  • Mates, Teams, 70+ 6:50
  • U30 M 7:00
  • 30-34 M 7:05
  • 35-44 M 7:10
  • 45-54 M 7:15
  • 55-69 M 7:20
  • All females 7:25
Edited by MissJess
6 hours ago, Crappy said:

Nepean used to be a straight swim every year (well the years I did it). 

It used to be hard also....back in 1990 my first tri 🤣🤣

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Shrek said:

It used to be hard also....back in 1990 my first tri 🤣🤣

Which part?

The "pick-a plank" bridge?

The smell of cow poo as you rode around the farms at Glenmore Park?

Running up Leonay? 

The only "easy" bit was hammering back down the M4 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 12:42 PM, roxii said:

Which part?

The "pick-a plank" bridge?

The smell of cow poo as you rode around the farms at Glenmore Park?

Running up Leonay? 

The only "easy" bit was hammering back down the M4 

Didn't use the M4 til the late90"s. I think 97 onwards.

Oh..The run was roiginally 14KM.....and then 12 K for many years before moving to 10Km once it transitioned to the regatta centre.

And yes the hill up on the Leonay side was a prick of a hill.

• Like 1

Enjoy tomorrow. One of my favourite events  since I rented a wetsuit for the race from Fred Falzon. 

FM

Edited by Flanman

Swim - Water a bit cool.... wind chill on top was bloody chilly. OK swim 17:36

Bike - Miserable and bitterly cold - felt a bit like I had some issues breathing - put it down to the cold. Could not wait to start the run and warm up. Really slowed me down a bit. 51:30

Run - rain stop half way through - body warmed up thankfully, though still did not feel very good. 

But happy with run overall. 22:47, then 21:22 splits for a 44:10.

Transition 1: 1:20

Transition 2: 1:18

This gave me 8th in the 50-54 age group with a time of 1:55:55.

Thought I went faster as I didn't stop my watch until up on thr grass after a few chats and a drink....and when I stopped it it was 1:55:24. Oh well.

No medal, No Shirt, No towel and no problem. Though I do love there medals - every child wins a prize!' 😃

Just very very very very very thankful that the organisers were able to put the race on and as usual did a great job. 

See you next year for my 30th Nepean.

• Like 9
21 hours ago, roxii said:

Yeah saw a few pics this morning showing no wetsuits, was a bit surprised. 

I thought maybe the air temp might be enough to throw it to just below 22, but I guess it was not.

I ended up setting the alarm wrong, which was probably a bit of dumb luck, as my back is still giving me grief (and I thought it would be gone at the deferral date). I probably would have DNFed. 

Forgot to add - Nepean was very low key and different this year.

Missed seeing the usual suspects - IronJimbo and Mr & Mrs Flower plus a cast load of others.

And when you finished - you gave them your timing chip, they gave you a bottle of water and then you walked back to your bike and went home. I was already in the car driving home at 09:45.

This is what we call racing in 2020. 

And again...good job by the Nepean Team.

Though i do feel for them when they are restricted to 440 competitors and 60 support staff (all volunteers no doubt) yet the last two nights we have seen 30-40,000 people congregating for a football match. Where is the consistency I ask.

• Like 1