I was just explaining to someone the other day what tapping is

That's two of my favourite guitarists lost to cancer in the space of a year, the other being Stuart Fraser 

Just imagine the jam that Eddie would be having with Hendrix right now

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Dalai said:

Life goal is to be able to one day play one of Eddie Van Halen's solos... He was and always will be a guitar legend! 

Toto, we're not in the minor pentatonic scale any more....!

• Haha 2

That was really sad to read.  EvH was a master at tapping for sure but also a very accomplished keyboard player.  Music was a family affair with brother Alex on drums and Jan, their Dad, being a great jazz player.

Most people cite Eruption but for me, one of his most technical solos is Hot for Teacher, my old band used to cover that it was effin' hard for our LG to play (he's a pro musician for the BBC now).  There was so much going on in that song.

I was never a huge VH fan, especially post DLR, always more into Vai.  But EvH was the figurehead of that whole era and started of the revolution of millions of players that were brilliant at tapping but still couldn't string three chords together!😎

Edited by FatPom
On 07/10/2020 at 4:50 PM, FatPom said:

That was really sad to read.  EvH was a master at tapping for sure but also a very accomplished keyboard player.  Music was a family affair with brother Alex on drums and Jan, their Dad, being a great jazz player.

Most people cite Eruption but for me, one of his most technical solos is Hot for Teacher, my old band used to cover that it was effin' hard for our LG to play (he's a pro musician for the BBC now).  There was so much going on in that song.

I was never a huge VH fan, especially post DLR, always more into Vai.  But EvH was the figurehead of that whole era and started of the revolution of millions of players that were brilliant at tapping but still couldn't string three chords together!😎

Eddie was one of my favourites as a kid, but like you, I was more into Vai. A few years back, a friend of mine, who is a massive Van Halen fan, sent me the CD - A Different Kind of Truth - which is the one where Dave returned. I really liked it. One thing that stood out was, to me, as great a lead player as Eddie was, his rhythm & riff playing was absolutely superb.

To me, there are 4 guitarists that changed what people decided could be done on the guitar. Hendrix, Eddie, Vai & Malmsteen. Hendrix for innovation/distortion, Eddie with the tapping, Vai with stuff you shouldn't be able to play on guitar, and Malmsteen's virtuosity.

RIP Eddie.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Nick777 said:

Eddie was one of my favourites as a kid, but like you, I was more into Vai. A few years back, a friend of mine, who is a massive Van Halen fan, sent me the CD - A Different Kind of Truth - which is the one where Dave returned. I really liked it. One thing that stood out was, to me, as great a lead player as Eddie was, his rhythm & riff playing was absolutely superb.

To me, there are 4 guitarists that changed what people decided could be done on the guitar. Hendrix, Eddie, Vai & Malmsteen. Hendrix for innovation/distortion, Eddie with the tapping, Vai with stuff you shouldn't be able to play on guitar, and Malmsteen's virtuosity.

RIP Eddie.

Out of that list, I would probably swap Malmsteen for Randy Rhoads.

7 hours ago, Nick777 said:

Nice spot :)

I had 3 massive posters of him on my wall.

When I look the others on your list (and RR), I can think of a tune by them and hum it.

I can't think of a single Malmsteen song that I can remember, For me, YM was/is truly brilliant but not that innovative, he did what EvH had  already done, only a lot faster. Kind of in the same bucket as Vinnie Vincent.

I suppose the same accusation could be levelled at Vai and Satriani but for me, they put texture and structure around what they produced.

I'm getting old these days but I can't remember who was credited with starting the scalloped neck craze?

I also remember seeing a really old clip of Les Paul on his tv show where he tapped the neck a bit. (probably figured it would never take off!)

Edited by FatPom
55 minutes ago, FatPom said:

When I look the others on your list (and RR), I can think of a tune by them and hum it.

I can't think of a single Malmsteen song that I can remember, For me, YM was/is truly brilliant but not that innovative, he did what EvH had  already done, only a lot faster. Kind of in the same bucket as Vinnie Vincent.

I suppose the same accusation could be levelled at Vai and Satriani but for me, they put texture and structure around what they produced.

I'm getting old these days but I can't remember who was credited with starting the scalloped neck craze?

I also remember seeing a really old clip of Les Paul on his tv show where he tapped the neck a bit. (probably figured it would never take off!)

What do you think of guitarists who focussed on making great songs in a band versus what almost seemed to us Luddites people playing highly technical, difficult instrumental stuff, Joe Sat, Steve Vai, Malmsteen as compared to:

Say Clapton, Gilmour, Keith Richards, Chuck Berry, heck even Buddy Holly who has most likley had his tunes played more on radio than any of the guitar gods.

EVH is a bit inbetween as Van Halen especially the Roth era was basically the bare minimum of a song to provide a canvas for him to do the guitar technician stuff. Early VH is sort of all over the place musically. Hagar stuff was much more solid in terms of tunes, but way down on guitar hero stuff

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

I have seen Yngwie three times, so I know a lot of his stuff, but I get what you are saying. The reason I had him as one of the 4 was because he really elevated the technical side of things to where nobody had been before. And to me, his playing is much, much different to Eddie's, and not like anything before it. Harmonic minors, amazing sweep picking etc etc..

Vinnie Vincent...now there's an interesting guy!!!!!!

Malmsteen used to scallop his own necks before he got Fender to do it...so maybe he is the one you are thinking of?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

What do you think of guitarists who focussed on making great songs in a band versus what almost seemed to us Luddites people playing highly technical, difficult instrumental stuff, Joe Sat, Steve Vai, Malmsteen as compared to:

Say Clapton, Gilmour, Keith Richards, Chuck Berry, heck even Buddy Holly who has most likley had his tunes played more on radio than any of the guitar gods.

EVH is a bit inbetween as Van Halen especially the Roth era was basically the bare minimum of a song to provide a canvas for him to do the guitar technician stuff. Early VH is sort of all over the place musically. Hagar stuff was much more solid in terms of tunes, but way down on guitar hero stuff

IMO ...each has their own place in the musical jungle. Most people used to look at me blankly when I'd play them Vai, Malmsteen, Satch..but when I found a like minded person, it was heaven! 

The hardest thing for (and goal of) any musician is to have an identifiable sound. The people you mentioned above generally achieved that, to their credit.

And of course....Scores of players loved Eddie, EVH loved Clapton, Clapton loved Hendrix, and so it goes..

Vai got me into Zappa, which opened a massive world to me. 

40 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

I have seen Yngwie three times, so I know a lot of his stuff, but I get what you are saying. The reason I had him as one of the 4 was because he really elevated the technical side of things to where nobody had been before. And to me, his playing is much, much different to Eddie's, and not like anything before it. Harmonic minors, amazing sweep picking etc etc..

Vinnie Vincent...now there's an interesting guy!!!!!!

Malmsteen used to scallop his own necks before he got Fender to do it...so maybe he is the one you are thinking of?

Yeah good point, the sweeping thing was brilliant.  One thing I always found amazing about Rhoads was that if I closed my eyes, I'd swear he was tapping on some songs but amazingly, he wasn't, just playing with a very very fast left hand. Of course he did tap but not all the time.

As for Barry's questions, that was always the polarizing point back in the 80s and 90s.  Players vs 'noodlers' basically.  I was always a fan of the solo accompanying the song and going somewhere, rather than the song being a vehicle to get to the solo.

Of course, then players like Vai and Satch just did away with the song altogether and that turned it on its head for me and I appreciated that side of things much more.

• 2 weeks later...