2021 Oceania IM season update

31 minutes ago, BNothling said:

I've been watching the registration for the Sunshine Coast 703. all morning. It's not open yet, but I've watched Tier 1 and now Tier 2 sell out. I thought it wasn't supposed to open for another 30 minutes? I can't get anywhere to sign up.

Same for Geelong!

Im guessing the first two tiers are filled by deferrals

Edited by more
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No worries about asking. Copy of email below....

I’ll sign up early for races I plan on doing. All race organisers including IM must be hugely hurting. I’ve got a stable job and can afford to bring forward payment. Would normally leave it late but m

I’m already in for Port 70.3.  see you there..... FM

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, BNothling said:

I've been watching the registration for the Sunshine Coast 703. all morning. It's not open yet, but I've watched Tier 1 and now Tier 2 sell out. I thought it wasn't supposed to open for another 30 minutes? I can't get anywhere to sign up.

People with existing credits have been able to enter since Wednesday. I was one of them but haven't entered anything because my knee is rooted 😔 

Has anyone used their credit from covid cancellations, the email about this said the credit would appear at the payment page, just wondering if it working ok as I have a credit to use when I decide what event I am interesedt in.

1 hour ago, Gilliga said:

Has anyone used their credit from covid cancellations, the email about this said the credit would appear at the payment page, just wondering if it working ok as I have a credit to use when I decide what event I am interesedt in.

My credit didn't come up. I asked them on facebook and they said I could enter and pay and then email them to get the credit refunded or email them and get a code.

I entered and then emailed. I received a credit today but not for the full amount (credited transfer fee but not original entry fee). Sent them another message and they are still working on credits and said I should receive another credit....

1 hour ago, Gilliga said:

I had issues yesterday my credit didn't show on the checkout page, after a few phone calls turns out all Melbourne credits did not get loaded onto the system, they provided me with a code to use instead. Not sure if it is fixed today.

6 hours ago, BNothling said:

I got a link to enter yesterday, TriClub priority or something??

6 hours ago, BNothling said:

5 hours ago, Youngy2 said:

It was Tier 2 last night - so must be selling well 

5 hours ago, BNothling said:

It was Tier 3 when it opened up for registration.

Yeah link was mailed out to tri club members. 

I got them yesterday morning. 

9 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I got a link to enter yesterday, TriClub priority or something??

Maybe? I am all registered as such as well. Maybe they just wanted to offer priority to the podium getters and other successful heroes like yourself ;)

1 hour ago, BNothling said:

Maybe? I am all registered as such as well. Maybe they just wanted to offer priority to the podium getters and other successful heroes like yourself ;)

Yeh probably 😜

Guest Jim Shortz
31 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

They reckon IM Oz is 90% full too.

Geez 

Even with the hills and bad road surfaces.... 😜😂😂👍

I just check all races (Ironman OZ, NZ, Cairns) and it seems they are all filling up quickly.

I also notice a considerable price jump. I am not like this pricing structure ie: Tier 1, 2, 3 & 4. 

Once upon of time races fillup and price increases were by date, now its by volume. ie: For Cairns as an example, they are at Tier 4 already when the date cutoff for Tier 4 is late April. 

So as of today you can only enter Tier 4 and its a hit of $1027.00 assuming you dont have to pay for a one day licence.

Have to say...good for the sport or Ironman...not so good for my wallet.

PS: And I know a lot of entries have rolled over....

Edited by IronmanFoz
1 hour ago, Crappy said:

There's less entries being taken... 

obviously.  Fake demand.  

id guess something like por Mac 70.3 has a limit of 400. 

if Covid things change, they will reopen more spots later. 

31 minutes ago, Peter said:

obviously.  Fake demand.  

id guess something like por Mac 70.3 has a limit of 400

if Covid things change, they will reopen more spots later. 

Exactly my thoughts... Covid means half if not less than half entries. 

I was running tonight talking about this and here’s my theory. And I’d say its pretty Close knowing how ironman work. 

using port Mac 70.3 for the example. 

they know from sunny coast and cairns how many they can manage under the “current” Covid rules. 
however they already have carry over people that couldn’t race this year and also those that might have entered say melb but they deferred their race to port instead of waiting for next years melb. 

so numbers

Ironman know they can have a 70.3 with 700 people. 
400 that were to do this years race took the option for 2021

200 that were in for other events but changed to port Mac 

So they open the event and to sell out they only had 100spots. 

BUT

if the Covid rule’s change, sure as they will sell more spots. 
these events haven’t sold out with 1500 people. 

happy for ironman to prove me wrong by listing the competitors list on their website like they usually do a week out from the race. 

Can anyone answer this.

Today at lunch I signed up for Cairns and it’s Tier 4 entry ie: maximum price which means it’s filling up. 4 Tiers so you would think it’s minimum 75% full.

Then tonight they post that Cairns is 50% full. So why are we paying maximum Tier 4 prices when it goes to Tier 4 in March/April unless it fills up earlier.

Money grab?

There's nothing that says the tiers have to be equal - they could have 25 spots each for tiers 1-3 and then go straight to tier 4 if they want (their game, their rules) 

9 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Can anyone answer this.

Today at lunch I signed up for Cairns and it’s Tier 4 entry ie: maximum price which means it’s filling up. 4 Tiers so you would think it’s minimum 75% full.

Then tonight they post that Cairns is 50% full. So why are we paying maximum Tier 4 prices when it goes to Tier 4 in March/April unless it fills up earlier.

Money grab?

I always thought that the tiers weren't evenly split. The cheaper tiers have only a few spots to drive early demand , but it hits the max tier at less than 30% or so

The "tiered entry" is a complete load of shit and money grab. The only excuse I can think of is..... 

because ironman. 

There was nothing wrong with the old "enter by this date save money". Except Ironman worked out a way to be less transparent, create fear and basically do the american thing of trying to make more money. While everyones still drinking the cool-aid................

• Like 2

The Tiered Pricing Model is also used by concert ticket promoters. I read an article the other day that suggested that some of the Covid vaccine manufactures will have a tiered pricing model. It is a win/win for the seller as it can drive up revenue by creating "fake" demand.

Guest Jim Shortz
18 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

The Tiered Pricing Model is also used by concert ticket promoters. I read an article the other day that suggested that some of the Covid vaccine manufactures will have a tiered pricing model. It is a win/win for the seller as it can drive up revenue by creating "fake" demand.

Scary that they're doing it with a vaccine 😔

26 minutes ago, Jim Shortz said:

Scary that they're doing it with a vaccine 😔

Some companies will do it to drive up the price for the first xxx thousand doses.

Bill Gates and his foundation are doing it so that rich countries will get early access and pay a higher price to cover the research and development costs. Poor countries will then pay a much lower cost, to cover the manufacturing costs. 

So it is not all bad.

On 13/10/2020 at 11:12 PM, Andrew #1 said:

There is little doubt professional Ironman needs a shake up. 

were I the owner-ceo of Ironman I’d do everything I could to have Hawaii with a minimum  $1 million purse, but paying 20 deep (and not the current 10 deep). Top 10 finishers have a guaranteed slot at next year’s race.

I’d also have 4 or so regional championships but with a minus $250K in prize money, with the first 5 finishers guaranteed a slot at Kona. 

Outside that, several races would be run as “monuments” - I’d include IMNZ, IMA, bring back IM Japan and even sanction Roth (even though it’s a challenge race) and make sure each of those races has respectable prize money and the winner would get a Kona slot.

Other than those races, prize money should be optional, or minimal (maybe $25K and only paying three or five deep). I would reverse the decision to give the winner of every IM race a slot Kona - but the lesser races could count to a KPR type points system (also to include finishers outside the top 10 in Kona and top 5 at the regional champs) for the last 10 or so slots in Kona. 

I think that ultimately it’s good for the sport to see the absolute best IM pro triathletes racing Kona and the big regional champ races and ‘monuments’, with the rest atttarcting B level pros and the already qualified A level pros who need to validate or who want to stretch their legs. 

Pay 20 deep - yes

Top 10 with an autoqual for next year - no! Means you lose them from your brand for the next 12 months. Or worse they race with a competitor's brand!

Monument at IMA (a nightmare to get to for anyone from o/s, town struggles with capacity as it is) - no
Monument at IMNZ (same Oceania region, 4 hours drive from big airports...) - no
Monument at Roth - your main competitor's biggest event?! - no

No monuments in North America - your biggest market! - no

Keep the big non-Hawaii races as Cairns, Frankfurt, somewhere fun in Asia (Japan may actually work well if they can run it and keep it going...) and somewhere in north america with some history (?Wisconsin). Have 10-15 kona spots at each of these then as you've suggested keep the other races on a much lower tier somehow

Guest Jim Shortz
2 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

Some companies will do it to drive up the price for the first xxx thousand doses.

Bill Gates and his foundation are doing it so that rich countries will get early access and pay a higher price to cover the research and development costs. Poor countries will then pay a much lower cost, to cover the manufacturing costs. 

So it is not all bad.

Yeah that's not so bad. Cheers 👍✌️

Guest Jim Shortz
1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Pay 20 deep - yes

Top 10 with an autoqual for next year - no! Means you lose them from your brand for the next 12 months. Or worse they race with a competitor's brand!

Monument at IMA (a nightmare to get to for anyone from o/s, town struggles with capacity as it is) - no
Monument at IMNZ (same Oceania region, 4 hours drive from big airports...) - no
Monument at Roth - your main competitor's biggest event?! - no

No monuments in North America - your biggest market! - no

Keep the big non-Hawaii races as Cairns, Frankfurt, somewhere fun in Asia (Japan may actually work well if they can run it and keep it going...) and somewhere in north america with some history (?Wisconsin). Have 10-15 kona spots at each of these then as you've suggested keep the other races on a much lower tier somehow

They talked about this on IMTalk not that long ago. Interesting podcast 

14 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

So it is not all bad.

Except the problem with the model is more often then not it's the rich countries governments that pays for the R&D via grants etc. There was a big one recently that came up in US Congress. Might have been prep or something for diabetes. 

Knowing what I know about drug R&D is big pharma gets a win win most of the time which is why they make ssssoooooo much money. A friend of mine is a drug rep that makes about $180k/yr... Left her job as a pharmacist for it. She said a fair few nurses end up in drug sales too. 

Guest Jim Shortz
2 hours ago, Triatx said:

Tier 1 for IMWA and 70.3 only had 50 spots in each.

Its a crock to cause panic buying and get $$$ in the door.

IMWA 2021? 

Did Anyone transfer their 70.3 Port this year to next year when the offer was first made ? Do you know if you are automatically entered or have to reconfirm?

Ta

FM

20 hours ago, Aidan said:

here we go, IM just made it obvious that Tiers 1/2/3 are only about 40% of entries. Tier 4 (most expensive) makes up the remainder (about 60%)

image.png.7fc203822da4b32e66df26537bfa1012.png

This is one of those must keep posts about the ironman tier entry system.  

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

Did Anyone transfer their 70.3 Port this year to next year when the offer was first made ? Do you know if you are automatically entered or have to reconfirm?

Ta

FM

I suggest you ring them if you haven't received an email with a link to complete your registration. Ring them at 1300 761 384 or (+61) 7 5430 6700. I too deferred from 2020 IMWA to 2021 IMWA and didn't receive a link. Apparently they have been having issues with the bulk emails. I rang them and it got sorted straightaway.

Just got home and checked my emails. I have a confirmation email dated back to 9 April this year confirming my acceptance to 2021. 

Guess I may have to start training soon.

FM

• Haha 1