Jump to content

2021 Oceania IM season update


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No worries about asking. Copy of email below....

I’ll sign up early for races I plan on doing. All race organisers including IM must be hugely hurting. I’ve got a stable job and can afford to bring forward payment. Would normally leave it late but m

There is little doubt professional Ironman needs a shake up.    were I the owner-ceo of Ironman I’d do everything I could to have Hawaii with a minimum  $1 million purse, but paying 20 deep (an

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Races in the US have been selling out 

Yes thought it might be popular, figure I'll see how the IM go and maybe do a half. Beer in the pool by 12 while the IM are still coming in off the bike

Link to post
Share on other sites

So all races open on the same day in mid-October, when Victorians don't even know at what point they'll be allowed to enter NSW, Qld and WA let alone travel to NZ - I guess I'll get my crystal ball out (or just hope the ones I want to do don't sell out too quickly)

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, -H- said:

So all races open on the same day in mid-October, when Victorians don't even know at what point they'll be allowed to enter NSW, Qld and WA let alone travel to NZ - I guess I'll get my crystal ball out (or just hope the ones I want to do don't sell out too quickly)

Yeah 

 

It'd be nice to plod around a different course. But dropping money on accommodation and events without a guarantee of being able to get there.... Too bigger gamble. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Turts said:

What email? I didn't get one 

You could say our 2020 season didn’t quite go to plan (okay, that’s a bit of an understatement), but like you, we don’t quit when times get tough. We get to work and come back stronger, so we’ve rolled up our compression sleeves and are now looking towards a better 2021.

We’re planning an exciting 2021 Season Launch – something we’ve never done before. The entire 2021 IRONMAN Oceania Season will open with a bang on Thursday 15th October 2020.

Every IRONMAN and IRONMAN 70.3 race* in Oceania will open on Thursday 15th October at 11 am AEDT / 10 am AEST / 1 pm NZT. 

As a valued TriClub Athlete, you’ll receive 24hr priority entry from Wednesday 14th October before general entries go on sale, so make sure you take advantage of this.

With thousands of athletes already deferred or transferred into 2021 races, capacity is going to be very limited and we expect some races will sell out early, so if you want to make your comeback in 2021, we strongly encourage you to be ready to enter your favourite race early to avoid disappointment.

For everyone who is ready to commit to entering early, we’re going to back your comeback with some awesome prizes to get you off to a flying start…watch this space over the next few days for more details!

Here’s the full list of races and dates so you can start planning your 2021 comeback now:

  • IRONMAN 70.3 Geelong - 21 February 2021
  • Nutri-Grain IRONMAN New Zealand - 6 March 2021
  • Nutri-Grain IRONMAN 70.3 New Zealand - 6 March 2021
  • IRONMAN Australia - 2 May 2021
  • IRONMAN 70.3 Port Macquarie - 2 May 2021
  • Cairns Airport IRONMAN Cairns - 6 June 2021
  • IRONMAN 70.3 Cairns - 6 June 2021
  • IRONMAN 70.3 Sunshine Coast - 12 September 2021
  • IRONMAN 70.3 Western Sydney - 26 September 2021
  • IRONMAN 70.3 Melbourne - 14 November 2021
  • IRONMAN Western Australia - 5 December 2021
  • IRONMAN 70.3 Western Australia - 5 December 2021
  • IRONMAN 70.3 Taupo (yep, it’s back!) - 11 December 2021
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is an element of create FOMO. Not sure how it will pan out, there will be some people who won't come back to the sport, people who transferred from this year but will not do it, so I figure let it roll.

It will almost certainly be sold out in less than a week, but figure things will open up, plus I'd rather go to WA and go sub 10 :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

no way I'm signing up for anything. 

They'll get to sit on more peoples money and live on the interest - and then have toput on a  race with no additional income in years to come - I'm way to skeptical to think it's going to survive as a race format with those field sizes to make it worthwhile $$-wise

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Turts said:

no way I'm signing up for anything. 

 

Same. I'll sign up at the last minute. I think everyone seems to think as soon as the year ends and it's 2021, the COVID-19 pandemic will automatically end! Looks like the UK and Ireland are creeping slowly back towards another lockdown. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll sign up early for races I plan on doing. All race organisers including IM must be hugely hurting. I’ve got a stable job and can afford to bring forward payment. Would normally leave it late but my view is now to give the organisers some certainty. 
I’m sure they’ll be thrilled to know that Kenneth is rolling around again. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Turts said:

no way I'm signing up for anything. 

They'll get to sit on more peoples money and live on the interest - and then have toput on a  race with no additional income in years to come - I'm way to skeptical to think it's going to survive as a race format with those field sizes to make it worthwhile $$-wise

I'm not sure how large they would be living off 0.7% interest rates. I guess if they managed to squirrel away $10,000,000 in races fees they could run off to Mexico with their $70K in interest lol 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, more said:

I'm not sure how large they would be living off 0.7% interest rates. I guess if they managed to squirrel away $10,000,000 in races fees they could run off to Mexico with their $70K in interest lol 

But if they have $10,000,000 in race entries, they can meet ongoing costs with interest (any decent business would have more than 0.7% interest I would have thought though), eat into the race entry principal if their interest is that low, and come race day, be in a whole lot of hurt looking for money to actually pay to stage the event. Thats what I was trying to get at. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Turts said:

But if they have $10,000,000 in race entries, they can meet ongoing costs with interest (any decent business would have more than 0.7% interest I would have thought though), eat into the race entry principal if their interest is that low, and come race day, be in a whole lot of hurt looking for money to actually pay to stage the event. Thats what I was trying to get at. 

Such a sceptical view turts. You probably also think this sort of behaviour would happen with property developments, investment companies, startups....oh wait.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Kenneth said:

Such a sceptical view turts. You probably also think this sort of behaviour would happen with property developments, investment companies, startups....oh wait.

Especially in an age where you're dropping dollars to  a "start-up " with a product that couldn't go to market this year, and is reliant on all sorts of medical and government revelations to go to market next year! 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turts said:

Especially in an age where you're dropping dollars to  a "start-up " with a product that couldn't go to market this year, and is reliant on all sorts of medical and government revelations to go to market next year! 

Fair point. Guess we have to trust management to do the right thing 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ironman already have an entry for me to Melbourne and also western Sydney.  
 

seriously considering port Mac but it will be a last month entry and not before.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kenneth said:

Fair point. Guess we have to trust management to do the right thing 

haha, yeah. 

They may not have much choice in the matter. Their hand might be forced into what they are "allowed" to do. I already have too much money tied up in race entries, accommodation etc. 

I've let my accom deposits roll around, in the hope I can still get somewhere.  But eventually something will give. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why people think IM are going to lose anything from this. They have all the 2020 money and have not had to incur the expense of the operation and simply offered deferred entry and entry into other races.

Typically in the USA pushing races where numbers were not as high. They will let more numbers into the races for 2021 and put on more races to soak up the demand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jim Shortz said:

And if border restrictions are still in place.... Can we move the IMWA to Albany? 

 

And more races BB? Maybe we'll see a return for IM Frankston?? 

Well at least in the USA, eg two Kona races. They did Im Arizona twice for a few years. If there is a heap of demand can't see why reason why they wouldn't hold two versions of a race where the climate would support it, eg WA, Port

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Not sure why people think IM are going to lose anything from this. They have all the 2020 money and have not had to incur the expense of the operation and simply offered deferred entry and entry into other races.

I'm no accountant - but this is how I was thinking:

IM got all the race entries.   They had to pay staff, and pay some expenses to get the race organisation off the ground.  They would have had to pay some costs for suppliers, permits, contractors etc, especially where races were only days or a few weeks from occurring. 

Races were "deferred", and race entries carried forward for maybe 12 months. 

IM still has to pay staff, operating costs, insurance etc, which is eating into those pre-paid race entries. 

In 12 months, IM has t put on a race with the same outgoings of the event, but only minimal new entry fees coming in, as most were from the deferred previous year. 

So I see it as a net loss - unless, as I had above, they have the $$ in an account earning enough interest to cover all those operating costs and make back the lost outgoings prior to the race cancellation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Turts said:

I'm no accountant - but this is how I was thinking:

IM got all the race entries.   They had to pay staff, and pay some expenses to get the race organisation off the ground.  They would have had to pay some costs for suppliers, permits, contractors etc, especially where races were only days or a few weeks from occurring. 

Races were "deferred", and race entries carried forward for maybe 12 months. 

IM still has to pay staff, operating costs, insurance etc, which is eating into those pre-paid race entries. 

In 12 months, IM has t put on a race with the same outgoings of the event, but only minimal new entry fees coming in, as most were from the deferred previous year. 

So I see it as a net loss - unless, as I had above, they have the $$ in an account earning enough interest to cover all those operating costs and make back the lost outgoings prior to the race cancellation. 

I think you would find their outgoings would be quite low-insurance wouldn't be payable unless the event was held, the councils wouldn't have any charges unless the event was held, same for security etc etc. Basically unless the contractors had a clause that they would be paid regardless of the event being conducted they wouldn't be paid. So all in all I'd imagine it would mainly be the admin salaries that would be the main cost.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jim Shortz said:

Or they'll reduce Pro purses 😒🙄

Professionals bring NOTHING to these races.

Most of the time the professionals cant even be bothered to turn up to the pre race press conferences.

Most do nothing locally in the lead into the race, media wise.

If I was Ironman, I'd drop the prize money from all races but 4 championship events.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Professionals bring NOTHING to these races.

Most of the time the professionals cant even be bothered to turn up to the pre race press conferences.

Most do nothing locally in the lead into the race, media wise.

If I was Ironman, I'd drop the prize money from all races but 4 championship events.

Peter..... Peter's from Melbourne.... Well done Peter... 

 

C'mon down.... Peter..... YOU ARE AN IRONMAN... Congratulations.... LOL 😂👍✌️

 

The above is a joke by the way. Read it as if it was being announced on at the finish line ✌️

 

 

But "if" there was a future in the sport for pros there'd be more efforts made. I'm sure of that. Only a few people make some money from a pro career long term. 

 

Yeah, 4 big purse races, could work. But still only one Championship race IMO 👍✌️

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Turts said:

they have the $$ in an account earning enough interest to cover all those operating costs and make back the lost outgoings prior to the race cancellation. 

Which depending on the country the account is held in is earning 2/5 of sweet FA as bank interest rates have dropped pretty much everywhere.

Ask all my family elders who are self-funded retirees, they were hoping I could sway the next board decision 🤣

Edited by MissJess
Link to post
Share on other sites

IM does not have huge fixed costs, they would have laid off much of their work force and many would be casual employees anyway.

COVID hit in February well in advance of the NA racing season, so they would have easily been able to avoid the event costs for all but the earliest events.

Not sure of the nature of the other revenue streams eg sponsorships etc, but for now they have a heap of entry fees, how they invest that is up to them, heck they might have gone day trading. Don't have lots of full time employees and they now have excess demand for 2021.

Races with 3000 people yep, double races sure, I think they will be fine

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MissJess said:

Which depending on the country the account is held in is earning 2/5 of sweet FA as bank interest rates have dropped pretty much everywhere.

Ask all my family elders who are self-funded retirees, they were hoping I could sway the next board decision 🤣

Surely an organisation like that, with huge money, wouldn't be getting bog standard CBA 0.01% savings account interest. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Turts said:

Surely an organisation like that, with huge money, wouldn't be getting bog standard CBA 0.01% savings account interest. 

Not really, any small increase either way is 2 5ths of 4 8th of sweet FA...Money in the bank costs you money these days with inflation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Turts said:

Surely an organisation like that, with huge money, wouldn't be getting bog standard CBA 0.01% savings account interest. 

Actually your right. they are more likely getting 0.09 % which is about as good as it gets for over $1Mil. And that is still stuff all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/10/2020 at 10:44 AM, Peter said:

If I was Ironman, I'd drop the prize money from all races but 4 championship events.

There is little doubt professional Ironman needs a shake up. 
 

were I the owner-ceo of Ironman I’d do everything I could to have Hawaii with a minimum  $1 million purse, but paying 20 deep (and not the current 10 deep). Top 10 finishers have a guaranteed slot at next year’s race.

I’d also have 4 or so regional championships but with a minus $250K in prize money, with the first 5 finishers guaranteed a slot at Kona. 

Outside that, several races would be run as “monuments” - I’d include IMNZ, IMA, bring back IM Japan and even sanction Roth (even though it’s a challenge race) and make sure each of those races has respectable prize money and the winner would get a Kona slot.

Other than those races, prize money should be optional, or minimal (maybe $25K and only paying three or five deep). I would reverse the decision to give the winner of every IM race a slot Kona - but the lesser races could count to a KPR type points system (also to include finishers outside the top 10 in Kona and top 5 at the regional champs) for the last 10 or so slots in Kona. 
 

I think that ultimately it’s good for the sport to see the absolute best IM pro triathletes racing Kona and the big regional champ races and ‘monuments’, with the rest atttarcting B level pros and the already qualified A level pros who need to validate or who want to stretch their legs. 

Edited by Andrew #1
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah Andrew agree with you on a few points. 

 

It'd be great if one of the regional events was IMNZ. You could almost guarantee a good field each year. Or maybe IMOZ but I don't think it would work. I get the sense that IMOZ is the inbred step child of Ironman... 🤷🏻‍♂️

 

The allocation of the Pro Hawaii spots seems sensible too. 

 

Good post 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think Professional add ZERO value to an Ironman event outside of Kona.

However I did hear a good proposal by starky on a podcast saying he had a goal each year to get 3 complete newbies to the sport, to do a race.

The suggestion was that Ironman give all professionals doing say, Busso 3 free entries to give out to someone that has NEVER done an Ironman. Promote the sport.

Then the Pro would have to get to know said people.  Maybe even coach them. 

But their goal is to grow the sport.

 

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peter said:

I still think Professional add ZERO value to an Ironman event outside of Kona.

However I did hear a good proposal by starky on a podcast saying he had a goal each year to get 3 complete newbies to the sport, to do a race.

The suggestion was that Ironman give all professionals doing say, Busso 3 free entries to give out to someone that has NEVER done an Ironman. Promote the sport.

Then the Pro would have to get to know said people.  Maybe even coach them. 

But their goal is to grow the sport.

 

I tend to agree, as someone competing I might get to walk past Ambergers bike or see him start the swim and that's about it. If I was spectating it might be a different story, id love to see them compete....but spectators don't bring in the cash..

If growing the sport is the name of the game then they somehow need to take away the fear factor of the swim-perhaps $200 of the first entry could go towards a rebate for swim camp/lessons. So many people I talk to love the idea of triathlon but the swim keeps them away. I don't think they should make the swim easier (shorter etc), just make coaching more accessible. Perhaps a joint venture with the likes of Effortless Swimming..

Edited by more
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in my own circumstance, I get a pretty big kick out of being on the same race course as the pros. To see them getting around town in the days before, going for their race prep training sessions, doing their bits and pieces before the race and then being passed out on the course by the leading group and being able to cheer them on is pretty cool. It definitely breaks down the barrier of 'us and them' and makes the pros seem more human. 

A friend of mine also raced in the women's pro field at the Sunshine Coast so it was awesome for her to be mixing it with some of the best in the world as well. 

Even from a local perspective, to see some of the big names lining up in our local QTS is the next step up over following them on Instagram and Strava and seeing what they do in person. Sam Betten even rocks up to our local ParkRun and that's pretty cool too. 

I agree that it doesn't bring money to the races, but I know that from my perspective, it definitely adds an element of funky to see the pros preparing to do the same race that I'm about to do.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BNothling said:

 

I agree that it doesn't bring money to the races, but I know that from my perspective, it definitely adds an element of funky to see the pros preparing to do the same race that I'm about to do.

But ironman is a business. 
 

they give out prize money (lame as it is) for no return financially.  
 

To be honest if geelong announced that Jan , Wurf , Tim don and Lionel were going to race. 
id rather watch than pay for an entry.  Meaning less money for Wtc. 

Edited by Peter
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, Peter said:

But ironman is a business. 
 

they give out prize money (lame as it is) for no return financially.  
 

To be honest if geelong announced that Jan , Wurf , Tim don and Lionel were going to race. 
id rather watch than pay for an entry.  Meaning less money for Wtc. 

Pfft I raced against Lance Armstrong in Kona.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bored@work said:

 

Pfft I raced against Lance Armstrong in Kona.

Did you even see him from the position you finished in compared to him?

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Peter said:

Did you even see him from the position you finished in compared to him?

Yes. We passed each other on the down hill section on the bike and I then watched him running to the finish as I was in T2 putting my shoes on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been watching the registration for the Sunshine Coast 703. all morning. It's not open yet, but I've watched Tier 1 and now Tier 2 sell out. I thought it wasn't supposed to open for another 30 minutes? I can't get anywhere to sign up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...