Is this attempted murder?

It's not impossible they weren't aware enough of their extra size with the trailer.  Regardless, needs charges for that driving.

• Like 1

No wanting to excuse the driver and assuming he did stop after the incident, IMO there’s a possibility he was focused on the rider he came upon first as he gave this guy a wide birth. Then was perhaps watching in his mirror as his trailer cleared  that rider. I know I have a blind spot on the right where the mirror and windscreen pillar are. Or ... and probably more likely, he was on his phone. 
In any event he should be charged 

Edited by Mike Del

Police are apparently investigating. No charges laid at this stage

Im sure this won't be the last we hear about this and Im also sure that unless the driver is suspended or something, not a whole lot is going to happen to him.

If there was ever a situation where vigilante justice is warranted, that must surely be it.

7 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

It absolutely is and there is about zero percent chance of the police doing anything

Nonsense, he nearly missed his turn, is what has happened. If he hated cyclists that much and he was being deliberate, why wouldn't he cleanup the both of them? Leave no witnesses. I do not believe that was an example of murderous intent.

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Certainly neg driving, probably reckless driving 

But it would be hard to prove intent to kill 

There are a lot ****ed drivers on the road, I see them all the time when I'm driving and am just glad I'm in a car. Every time I was hit my someone it was unintentional even the one where he veered towards me in a threatening manner because when he heard his mirror connect with my arm I saw him shit himself (that's how close I was!) and stiffen his back. Of course the c-unit didn't stop he could see I was OK (big red ****en face in his rear view mirror screaming death to him and all his family) :lol:

I don't ride on the road alone any more. I prefer off road these days better scenery too generally.

Guest Jim Shortz
45 minutes ago, Slowman said:

Nonsense, he nearly missed his turn, is what has happened. If he hated cyclists that much and he was being deliberate, why wouldn't he cleanup the both of them? Leave no witnesses. I do not believe that was an example of murderous intent.

There are a lot ****ed drivers on the road, I see them all the time when I'm driving and am just glad I'm in a car. Every time I was hit my someone it was unintentional even the one where he veered towards me in a threatening manner because when he heard his mirror connect with my arm I saw him shit himself (that's how close I was!) and stiffen his back. Of course the c-unit didn't stop he could see I was OK (big red ****en face in his rear view mirror screaming death to him and all his family) :lol:

I don't ride on the road alone any more. I prefer off road these days better scenery too generally.

Yeah road riding can be ****ed. 

But haven ridden a lot of past few years on Zwift.... I am looking forward to the warmer months and riding outside. New set of 28mm Gatorskins on the bike ready to go. 

1 hour ago, BNothling said:

I can only imagine the comment section on that video...

Not as bad as you'd think.

Generally for the cyclist.

Some people even naming the company written on the trailer

Well, every time one of those videos or incidents gets media attention, every cyclist hating troll comes out of the woodwork. In reality most motorists are ambivalent to accepting of cyclists, they just want to get from A to B.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Slowman said:

YUp, that's what it looks like to me, missed his turn and turned at the last minute. Needs to be charged though.

Seems to be a case of objectively dangerous driving.

if the police agree they can/should charge the driver accordingly. The driver faces fines, and/or imprisonment and automatic licence suspension. Armstrong legal provides the following useful summary of the relevant ACT law.

https://www.armstronglegal.com.au/traffic-law/act/dangerous-driving/

I note that over a quarter of folk convicted of dangerous driving in the ACT are sentenced to full time custody. I also note that pedestrians and cyclists are both identified as vulnerable road uses in regards to the aggravated version of the offence.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, zed said:

YUp, that's what it looks like to me, missed his turn and turned at the last minute. Needs to be charged though.

Agreed. The fact that this video exists probably means that will or has happened.

20 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Seems to be a case of objectively dangerous driving.

if the police agree they can/should charge the driver accordingly. The driver faces fines, and/or imprisonment and automatic licence suspension. Armstrong legal provides the following useful summary of the relevant ACT law.

https://www.armstronglegal.com.au/traffic-law/act/dangerous-driving/

I note that over a quarter of folk convicted of dangerous driving in the ACT are sentenced to full time custody. I also note that pedestrians and cyclists are both identified as vulnerable road uses in regards to the aggravated version of the offence.

Yes, I think it goes beyond mere negligent driving.

Good to see cyclists, amongst others, identified as vulnerable users. I believe I experienced the worst animosity from motorists there than of anywhere. This was going back a few years probably 10 at least and it seemed the motorists were infuriated that I was not using the cycling paths, even though there was buggerall traffic early in the morning. I've since ridden on the road there without incident but then I was on a mountain bike heading to Bruce Ridge trails. I mention this because I have felt that when riding a road bike I always attracted more animosity.

Edited by Slowman
addition

Just talking about this on a ride today.  Is there ANY training, testing, education for new drivers on what are, and how to drive with vulnerable road users? Should I slow down? Should I speed up? How do I turn when there is a group of cyclists in the way?  Pretty obvious to the experienced driver but surely this should be taught from day 1?