General Announcement - Behavior

If you’re having issues with another member please report the person/post and follow up with a comment or message directly to this account (Admino).

I have given various warning, have tried to play nice but the same people just keep on and on. It’s having an effect on the community as a whole and wont be tolerated. Bans are being handed out and we’ll be working on a three strikes and you can sit out for a month situation, fourth time you can be banned permanently. 

Below is a brief summary and explanation of how you should interact here. I shouldn’t have to write this, but alas this is the internet and needs to be said. 

Generally speaking, if you don’t think your behavior would be ok in the workplace, it’s probably not going to be ok here either. If you think your behavior wouldn’t be acceptable in the general public, then it probably wont be accepted here either.  

Healthy and acceptable behaviors

Healthy and acceptable behaviors are any behaviors that promote respect, positivity and civility (is that even a word?) in on our community. They include, but are not limited to:

• Using respectful, supportive, and encouraging language ALL the time, no matter the subject of conversation

• Questioning a members stance/position on an topic politely rather than asserting your position is the right one; i.e listening with an open mind

• Expressing appreciation when a member does something well furthering a culture of healthy behaviors within the triathlon community and beyond

• Respecting each other as adults and trusting their decision making abilities

• Approaching conflict with maturity and true desire for resolution, rather than as a fight or opportunity to belittle a member of our community

• Maintaining a positive attitude, even when you are having a bad day

There is no need for the behavior of some members of this community. If you cant be kind, courteous and respectful of others - please find somewhere else to spend your free time (or your time at work!)  

Inappropriate and Unacceptable Behaviors Defined

Inappropriate and unacceptable behaviors are defined as negative and even aggressive acts aimed at one or more members and causing them or the community  to feel hurt, embarrassed, incompetent, disrespected, anxious, or depressed. Examples include, but are not limited to:

• Criticising or talking down to others via degrading posts/language

• Social exclusion or ostracism, ignoring other members in group activities etc

• Treating some members less favorably than others

• Gossiping or spreading rumors

• Blaming others for things out of their control

• Any malicious behavior a reasonable person would find unprofessional, disturbing and harmful to their psychological health

These types of behaviors are well recognised has having damaging consequences for their recipients, other members/observers of the behavior, and the community as a whole and are therefore not tolerated.

Be kind, Be respectful

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If you’re having issues with another member please report the person/post and follow up with a comment or message directly to this account (Admino).

I have given various warning, have tried to play nice but the same people just keep on and on. It’s having an effect on the community as a whole and wont be tolerated. Bans are being handed out and we’ll be working on a three strikes and you can sit out for a month situation, fourth time you can be banned permanently. 

Below is a brief summary and explanation of how you should interact here. I shouldn’t have to write this, but alas this is the internet and needs to be said. 

Generally speaking, if you don’t think your behavior would be ok in the workplace, it’s probably not going to be ok here either. If you think your behavior wouldn’t be acceptable in the general public, then it probably wont be accepted here either.  

Healthy and acceptable behaviors

Healthy and acceptable behaviors are any behaviors that promote respect, positivity and civility (is that even a word?) in on our community. They include, but are not limited to:

• Using respectful, supportive, and encouraging language ALL the time, no matter the subject of conversation

• Questioning a members stance/position on an topic politely rather than asserting your position is the right one; i.e listening with an open mind

• Expressing appreciation when a member does something well furthering a culture of healthy behaviors within the triathlon community and beyond

• Respecting each other as adults and trusting their decision making abilities

• Approaching conflict with maturity and true desire for resolution, rather than as a fight or opportunity to belittle a member of our community

• Maintaining a positive attitude, even when you are having a bad day

There is no need for the behavior of some members of this community. If you cant be kind, courteous and respectful of others - please find somewhere else to spend your free time (or your time at work!)  

Inappropriate and Unacceptable Behaviors Defined

Inappropriate and unacceptable behaviors are defined as negative and even aggressive acts aimed at one or more members and causing them or the community  to feel hurt, embarrassed, incompetent, disrespected, anxious, or depressed. Examples include, but are not limited to:

• Criticising or talking down to others via degrading posts/language

• Social exclusion or ostracism, ignoring other members in group activities etc

• Treating some members less favorably than others

• Gossiping or spreading rumors

• Blaming others for things out of their control

• Any malicious behavior a reasonable person would find unprofessional, disturbing and harmful to their psychological health

These types of behaviors are well recognised has having damaging consequences for their recipients, other members/observers of the behavior, and the community as a whole and are therefore not tolerated.

Be kind, Be respectful

• Thanks 5

Adding to this thread. 
It’s always the same two or three members of the forum that keep getting reported. 
It’s also the same two people who keep getting mentioned when people contact me to let me know they are leaving the forum.

We have lost a few long term members who have contributed a lot to the  forum for years. 

The “if ppl don’t like me, they can block me” response is also BS. Use the feature if you don’t like someone, but don’t use it as an excuse to post in condescending  bullying matter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Peter said:

Dear @Admino
can you please give me an example of this?

Social exclusion or ostracism, ignoring other members in group activities etc

“You are a hairy bean bag and softc*ck Pete”. 

FM

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I really don’t get how this can apply on a forum 

ignoring other members in group activities

Edited by Peter
4 minutes ago, Turts said:

Beer Mile ban?

LOL 😂.  
yeah that’s never happened. 
I want to know in a general thread how this applies.  
im clearly going to get banned for stuff going forward.  I just don’t understand how some of the rules apply. So want to understand in an attempt to avoid doing them. 

2 hours ago, Peter said:

LOL 😂.  
yeah that’s never happened. 
I want to know in a general thread how this applies.  
im clearly going to get banned for stuff going forward.  I just don’t understand how some of the rules apply. So want to understand in an attempt to avoid doing them. 

To me, it sounds like something copied from a companies policy and acceptable behavior training, maybe Admino's employer. 

Some may not be directly translatable to this forum, but, well, it's the vibe...... ya know what I mean? 

image.jpeg.46a76985e129046cfb08c76c1007be13.jpeg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

It's the polite way corporations tell their employees to stop being dicks and behave like adults.

Yeah but the quote I don’t understand how it applies to this forum.

heaps of other stuff, sure.  But anyone can respond to any topic on here. 

so no one is excluded.

and no one is stopped from group activity ie posting on the forum. 

have rules.  But at least have them be logical. 

unless I’ve missed the point of this particular rule. 

7 hours ago, Peter said:

unless I’ve missed the point of this particular rule. 

You haven’t missed the point of the rule. You have identified the one that isn’t really fit for purpose. Then focused on it so you can have something to be upset about.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

You haven’t missed the point of the rule. You have identified the one that isn’t really fit for purpose. Then focused on it so you can have something to be upset about.

Actually, as someone that speaks their mind, and people get told the truth they don't like hearing so then complain, I just want to fully understand the rules going forward.

I'm not upset about this "rule", I actually like it as it doesn't apply to me.

TBH I don't understand the rule either. The Forum as a "block" function which is the ultimate form of "ignoring" someone. But I'm looking at the rules as a friendly reminder to help set the tone and enviroment we want this forum to be. 

Trying to moderate / determine the difference between banter & bully is hard. I totally missed a recent example. Unfortunetly we have now lost that forum member because of how certain people acted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find the whole thing pretty lopsided to be honest, and it seems to be adjudicated more on mob rule that any semblance of fair play.

Take the Corona thread for example-on one hand you have a number of people who don't even live in Victoria (or metro where the lockdown is) arguing about what life in Victoria is like (bullying me and Peter?), arguing that Peters opinion of what is happening in Victoria is wrong (being un respectful and un supportive of our feelings given what we are going through?). You have a group of people with one opinion, Peter and myself with another opinion. That's life, people don't agree.

Now one of these people didn't want to hear Peters opinion, cracked it and did the whole public 'I'm leaving thing'.  Somehow this caused Peter and myself to get a ban....lol

So if Peter or myself had have done the 'Im leaving' thing would the other people in the discussion also be banned? Heck talk about bullying-I've been threated by non admin people that I'm not even allowed to post about Dan Andrews dealing with Covid in the Covid thread!! But other people post about him there without even a mention-would this not also represent a failure of the guideline "Treating some members less favorably than others"??

I have asked a number of people including admin (more than once) to show me examples of what I posted that was wrong so I can avoid doing it again...and I have got zero response....Seemed to me like the action taken was just a knee jerk without any appreciation for the reality for the situation.

Talk about bullies...

Edited by more
2 hours ago, more said:

I find the whole thing pretty lopsided to be honest, and it seems to be adjudicated more on mob rule that any semblance of fair play.

Take the Corona thread for example-on one hand you have a number of people who don't even live in Victoria (or metro where the lockdown is) arguing about what life in Victoria is like (bullying me and Peter?), arguing that Peters opinion of what is happening in Victoria is wrong (being un respectful and un supportive of our feelings given what we are going through?). You have a group of people with one opinion, Peter and myself with another opinion. That's life, people don't agree.

Now one of these people didn't want to hear Peters opinion, cracked it and did the whole public 'I'm leaving thing'.  Somehow this caused Peter and myself to get a ban....lol

So if Peter or myself had have done the 'Im leaving' thing would the other people in the discussion also be banned? Heck talk about bullying-I've been threated by non admin people that I'm not even allowed to post about Dan Andrews dealing with Covid in the Covid thread!! But other people post about him there without even a mention-would this not also represent a failure of the guideline "Treating some members less favorably than others"??

I have asked a number of people including admin (more than once) to show me examples of what I posted that was wrong so I can avoid doing it again...and I have got zero response....Seemed to me like the action taken was just a knee jerk without any appreciation for the reality for the situation.

Talk about bullies...

If you want to pay the dollars and and take over the running of the forum you can moderate it how ever you like. 

I'm not getting involved in the "he did this, he did that" argument. 

• Like 1

It is possible to ask that when a thread is cleaned up, or posts are removed as not being relevant/harmful/trouble etc, that the Admino or Moderator adds a post say as such? 

"this thread has had posts removed to comply with behavioral guidelines...etc... participants are reminded of the pinned behavior  post.... etc"

Might be useful? 

Edited by Turts
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

It is possible to ask that when a thread is cleaned up, or posts are removed as not being relevant/harmful/trouble etc, that the Admino or Moderator adds a post say as such? 

"this thread has had posts removed to comply with behavioral guidelines...etc... participants are reminded of the pinned behavior  post.... etc"

Might be useful?

And either pin this one, or hyperlink the pinned behavior post to direct people for a refresher? 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Jim Shortz said:

Yeah great idea Turts. 

Like that English channel swimming thread 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️👍✌️

People will learn WHY things get removed, and I wont think im going nuts trying to find a comment i thought I read! (and maybe replied or added to)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jim Shortz said:

Yeah great idea Turts. 

Like that English channel swimming thread 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️👍✌️

Yeah not sure why that was removed, was all in the public domain, her Facebook page and this weeks women’s weekly. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Turts said:

Might be useful? 

fair call and we'll start doing this where we can.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Admino said:

fair call and we'll start doing this where we can.

This will be limited for me. I often have to quickly respond to reports between meetings, family commitments etc. my priority is responding to reported threads and removing them ASAP. 
Since I have been moderating I have never had anyone ask “why was my post hidden” 

I will add “posts removed” but I’m not going to be explaining  the reason why etc. 

On 09/10/2020 at 4:22 AM, roxii said:

Yeah not sure why that was removed, was all in the public domain, her Facebook page and this weeks women’s weekly. 

Hopefully the comment gave a bit more info? I didn’t have time to write it when I removed some stuff. 

• Like 1

Good on you team for developing and enforcing standards in the forum. I’ve been involved in some pretty big online forums for the last 20 years in a different but public field and have spent a lot of time moderating - I take my hat off to all moderators, members don’t see the vast majority of nasty stuff they deal with. There are always those who want to push beyond the intent of positive community expectations and as you know, if its not dealt with the good people leave and toxic people remain who want no rules or reduced rules and the concentration of these people builds. I have seen breakaway forums with no moderation, where then members wanted some rules and then closed after a very very short period of time as it wasn’t a nice place. Likewise when there becomes a critical mass of toxic type people, member love is lost for the community and then ultimately the supporting organisation and supporting people start questioning the value of hosting, their overall interest and also how it reflects on them.... and then the forum closes. I have absolutely no idea who this thread targets or what the issues actually are, but I do know that if these people aren’t sorted out or weeded out, and likewise for the situations resolved, then we will all lose this community. Thank the moderators and the owner for playing their role in this, freedom of speech is a fallacy and you aren’t owed it, and if you get pulled up then don’t righteously badger people as to why or start new threads demanding an explanation, we’re all big boys and girls, we can all use our brains and work it out and cop it on the chin. You wont get pulled up for nothing, but sometimes there may be a bigger picture that needs to be looked for and that your post contributed to. Well done team for this thread and thanks your work in maintaining Transitions as a community that we can enjoy.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Can someone let me know what happened to my post of earlier this morning in the Trump thread?

Thanks 

Sure. Your posts were deleted because they quoted or were part of a thread that was reported multiple times by different people. 

The topic being discussed was an emotional topic that was sure to ignite emotions from both sides and lead to a circular argument either side wouldn't have backed down on. 

If you want to call me to discuss in more detail, send me a PM. 

If you already knew the answer to the question. Stop wasting my time and don't bother sending me a PM. 

• Thanks 1