Adam Hansen Full Time Ironman

Haha. Who’s the poster saying that?

love how the convo is about Hansen can’t win kona. Let’s see him win a normal ironman before we start kona talk of can/ can’t. 

• Like 2
Guest Jim Shortz
1 minute ago, Peter said:

Let’s see him win a normal ironman before we start kona talk of can/ can’t. 

Yeah. Agree. 

3 hours ago, Peter said:

love how the convo is about Hansen can’t win kona. Let’s see him win a normal ironman before we start kona talk of can/ can’t. 

Dev. The man with an opinion on everything 

18 hours ago, Peter said:

I think people get excited about pro cyclists coming into the sport assuming they would be able to dominate simply because of their cycling prowess. Maybe a few decades ago this would have been the case, but now the top guys are close to elite in all 3 disciplines. It's not like a pro cyclist is going to come into the sport and stick 10mins+ on the rest of the pack.

Andrew Talanksy had the fastest bike split in Ironman Canada, but 2nd was 1min behind, the rest of the pack was 2 - 3 mins behind. He swam 8 minutes slower than the fastest swim split and ran 40 mins slower than the fastest run split, which really makes his 1min bike lead irrelevant.

Perhaps this is a hangover from all the talk of LA making a triathlon comeback, Slowtwitch were frothing at the prospect. He was pretty much guaranteed the win, all he had to do was turn up. The reality is he would have struggled to make the top 20 in Kona. 

And really when you look at it, pro cycling is very, very different to triathlon cycling. A lightweight climber isn't necessarily going to dominate a 180km flat non draft race. Pro cyclists get plenty of rests during a race. Not so in Ironman. 

Edited by zed
18 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

No. That’s how his argument shape shifted. 

Last year I thought that Wurf could win with a 2:50 run. No more. I think he’d need a 2:45 and a good lead off the bike. One of the fastest, if not the fastest, runs on the day. 

And yes, I don’t think it’s a mere pipe dream that he could win Kona next year or 2022. The progression and the talent are both there.

Yeah the last 3 run splits for the winner have been 2.42, 2.41, 2.39. So he won't win with anything slower than 2.45. He can win Kona, any of the top 10 probably could, but he will need luck, the right weather and he will need a few of the top guys to be out. The top 3 are 39, 39 and 36. So they don't have a heap of time left in the sport. He will never beat Frodo (whilst he's in peak shape) but once him and a few others depart he has a chance.

19 minutes ago, zed said:

And really when you look at it, pro cycling is very, very different to triathlon cycling. A lightweight climber isn't necessarily going to dominate a 180km flat non draft race. Pro cyclists get plenty of rests during a race. Not so in Ironman. 

I think a guy like Lance could really do some damage. He knew how to TT, I think some that have come across weren't great TTs.  

If someone like Rohan Dennis or someone came across it would be a bit more interesting on the bike. But still, I don't think you'll find the 15minutes needed to win anymore. 

They always switch across too late, their best years are behind them and they are not hungry anymore. There has never been one do well, even on the bike leg which is surprising. With the exception of Steve Larsen, who from memory led off the bike in Hawaii by about 10 minutes and faded to 9th on the run with a 3.19 marathon. The most disappointing was Talansky, who could not even keep up on the bike leg, how is that even possible ? But I suppose that shows the professional level triathlon is at now, a washed out 40 year old from another sport should not be able to cross over and have success immediately. 

• 2 weeks later...

ST have an interview with Adam Hansen.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview/Adam_Hansen_On_New_Adventures_7797.html

I started triathlons when I was 15. I was age school champion, FNQ champion, FNQ super Sprint Champion. I was fastest age grouper in Phuket Tri long course and won the Coral Coast Triathlon a few times in open men's event.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

ST have an interview with Adam Hansen.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview/Adam_Hansen_On_New_Adventures_7797.html

I started triathlons when I was 15. I was age school champion, FNQ champion, FNQ super Sprint Champion. I was fastest age grouper in Phuket Tri long course and won the Coral Coast Triathlon a few times in open men's event.

He also won the crocodile trophy multiple times. Respect.

Just listened to a great interview with Adam on the MaccaX podcast. Talks about his plans for next year. Some really interesting ideas. Will be good to watch next year.