Ironman - Kona spots for women allocated

8 minutes ago, Rob said:

He was only good enough for one Ironman a year

So not as good as many others going about at the same time and now. 

47 minutes ago, Peter said:

So not as good as many others going about at the same time and now. 

Were the old ITU World Champions who won the single race event better or worse than the newer winners who won the Championship based on points scored throughout the season?

It is really just opinions, not fact.  There is no right or wrong answer.

Just now, Rob said:

Were the old ITU World Champions who won the single race event better or worse than the newer winners who won the Championship based on points scored throughout the season?

Well, being able to peak several times in a season at major races is heaps harder than doing it once a year. 

so using your theory, they are better now in the itu than what they were when you only needed to win a single race.  

for example.

Ali Brownlee is heaps better than Peter Robbo. 

And the cash Ali has earnt is 10s of millions more than robbo.  

Im sure as shit that Ali brownlee isn’t living in a yurt in the sticks demanding $500 to turn up to a local club triathlon like robbo is. And robbo won the world championships 3 times. 

28 minutes ago, Rob said:

Didn't there used to be both. 

A world champion who won the one day race and a world cup champion who won the series.  

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I would suggest a lot of Brownlee's money has come as a result of his Olympic Games medals (another one day event).

NBA have 7 games to decide each finals matchup.  Whereas AFL have single final games.  And the English Premier League don't even have a final series, it's just who finished on top of the ladder.

Personally I prefer the AFL single game model.  Who can perform best on that one day.  Maybe that's why England is always so shit under the pressure of the Soccer World Cup.

Again it's just an opinion.  I can understand the arguments for the other side as well.

9 hours ago, dazaau said:

Scarcity makes something valuable. Open up the Kona course and take away it's world championship status. Dead. 

Ironman are smart, through the qualifying system and legacy slots they keep people coming back for more. The lottery and guest invites make for good TV. Sell the vision/dream.

The ideas on this thread would just trash the band. Make it like the 70.3 world championships, yawn.

As Peter said, the 70.3 WC has become much more desirable since it started moving. When it was a Clearwater every year, nobody GAF.

Edited by FatPom
  • Thanks 1
On 30/09/2020 at 1:00 PM, Peter said:

The spots should be 50/50 

the women can’t help if others don’t turn up. 
if there are 100 kona slots give 50 to women and 50 to men. 

however once above 50 age groups should go in years of 10 not 5. 
ie 50-59, 60-69 over 70. 

This example does not work as in Cairns only 30 women finished from what I read. So they got a 1 in 3 chance at a spot anyway. It was about the same ration for men.

Also, keep in mind for older age groups, some dudes are practically full time as the start to retire or work less. And if you look at the results a lot of these older guys can kick some arse. 

11 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

This example does not work as in Cairns only 30 women finished from what I read. So they got a 1 in 3 chance at a spot anyway. It was about the same ration for men.

Also, keep in mind for older age groups, some dudes are practically full time as the start to retire or work less. And if you look at the results a lot of these older guys can kick some arse. 

No they all had a chance. The women who DNF lost their chance. So the ratio should be on the number of starters

16 hours ago, Bored@work said:

No they all had a chance. The women who DNF lost their chance. So the ratio should be on the number of starters

They did base it on the starters. 

It's quite simple, you will never please everyone and there are so many "what if's".  Having done numerous IM, never being fast enough to qualify (mostly due to the fact that I just couldn't run out a race due to nutritional issues in the heat).  Best ever was 10:28 in Port Mac in 2016, I finally got a lottery spot for Kona 2019.  I personally don't think anything needs to change as there is no real easy answer to make this fairer.  I would love to see more women in attendance (and have seen many just miss out on a spot due to allocations - top 3 in an age group are within minutes, but there is only one spot).

They introduced a new category Kuku and seemed to include all the lottery people and others (320 people in total) also included Ken Glah for his 36th straight IM.  

Now in this group I finished 17th and won the 50-54 age group going around in 11:28 and we were the last group to enter the water.  In the normal race the rough equivalent in my 50-54 age group position was 1351 overall (of 2449), 135th in the age group.

In essence 1100 people behind me and I'm in age bracket that starts thinning out.  

I can't wait until we are able to attend events and have another crack at qualifying for Kona, with my new found ability to compete in the heat.

• Like 4
On 02/10/2020 at 1:28 PM, Peter said:

Im sure as shit that Ali brownlee isn’t living in a yurt in the sticks demanding $500 to turn up to a local club triathlon like robbo is. And robbo won the world championships 3 times. 

That's also to do with him being British and the British sports culture, pretty different to ours. Successful sports stars in the UK become household names, even when they come from really random, obscure sports. People outside of triathlon in the UK have heard of AB, here, no-one has a scooby doo who Crowie or Macca are. 

Edited by zed
On 30/09/2020 at 7:48 PM, Peter said:

id like to see a hilly course. A flat fast course. A cold race.  And a hot race. 

Too right. Imagine how awesome Wimbledon would be if it were held on clay. In Russia. Indoors. In Winter. 

• Haha 1