I've never bought anything with Amazon. A friend bought something and has noticed that Amazon is charging her a monthly fee on her credit card. Does anyone use Amazon ? Does this sound right ?

Ta

FM

Amazon has a subscription called "Prime", which gives free shipping on some items etc, and includes things like their movies and tv shows (like a Netflix).  I think it's about $5 a month.

They may have accidentally subscribed to it when buying something to get the "free" shipping.  Just had to log into her again account and cancel subscription.  They do have a few good tv shows with a watch.

• Like 1

My son skateboards and they wear Dickies pants. They are about $80 each pair here but about $29 from the US so I pay the few bucks a month to get free shipping ( best so far is ordered Thu night, arrived Monday from Hicksville USA) and kids enjoy the Amazon prime tv. 

• Like 1

It still makes me smile when you guys talk about Amazon. It's like you're living on Mars 😁

not necessarily a bad thing though. It'll be hard to buy anything from anyone else in a few years.  we use Prime, it's £79 per year and I wouldn't use it just for the video but the next day shipping is handy.

Thing is FP,  when Amazon AU started trading here to great fanfare, most people went, "um, the prices are the same".  It wasn't, and still isn't, anything special here.  My wife orders a tonne of stuff online, and very little comes from Amazon.   And Prime here costs $7 a month, or $59 a year!  Sounds like you're getting ripped.

4 hours ago, goughy said:

Thing is FP,  when Amazon AU started trading here to great fanfare, most people went, "um, the prices are the same".  It wasn't, and still isn't, anything special here.  My wife orders a tonne of stuff online, and very little comes from Amazon.   And Prime here costs $7 a month, or $59 a year!  Sounds like you're getting ripped.

Nobody uses Amazon for cheap prices. People use it for convenience (especially with lockdown/kids).  I can order something right now 6.30pm and have it tomorrow.

I use Prime because it means Amazon are supplying it. I only buy from Prime, because Amazon is awash with fakes and dodgy sellers (usually the cheap stuff).  The main convenience for me is time. I don't have the luxury of looking at 5 different sites to save a few £.

• Like 2
On 29/09/2020 at 10:29 AM, Flanman said:

I've never bought anything with Amazon. A friend bought something and has noticed that Amazon is charging her a monthly fee on her credit card. Does anyone use Amazon ? Does this sound right ?

Ta

FM

You can just cancel it. 

or watch tv under that fee

5 hours ago, goughy said:

Ah, ok.  I didn't know buying from prime meant that.

Well it does in the UK but I'm not sure what the terms are in Oz.  We may be over thinking t but we've had some pretty ordinary experiences when we've bought non Prime (very late delivery, trouble with refunds) because once outside of Prime,  Amazon is just an aggregated shop window.

We switched to only searching Prime a couple of years ago and it gives a better level of comfort.  If it's a small item and we need to return it, half the time they say to just keep it and refund us anyway.

TBH, we are as hypocritical as everyone else. We moan about the planet, the packaging etc but then use Amazon when we are time strapped. There is an option to bundle orders though, so we try to use that when we can. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, FatPom said:

Nobody uses Amazon for cheap prices. People use it for convenience (especially with lockdown/kids).  I can order something right now 6.30pm and have it tomorrow.

I use Prime because it means Amazon are supplying it. I only buy from Prime, because Amazon is awash with fakes and dodgy sellers (usually the cheap stuff).  The main convenience for me is time. I don't have the luxury of looking at 5 different sites to save a few £.

Up until the virus happened and Beijing started smacking Hongkers over the head, the Chinese version of amazon, Ali Baba, was turning over twice the volume of ales that Amazon was.

why I mentioned Hongkers was because you could buy bicycle parts and components cheap via Ali babas Hong Kong site with delivery in 3 days. Same went for motorcycle parts for Japanese and other Asian bike brands. 
so amazon is not that special price wise or service wise. Quality of products varies on most of these online super sites.