Robbie McEwen's Gran Fondo

18 hours ago, bRace said:

I haven't been riding much, so I'm doing the trail run that they're doing on the Saturday. The ride looks great, but each year I never seem to get organised to do it.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

2 hours ago, Reds man said:

I hadn't seen it but am now contemplating it.. the thought of driving down that morning isn't very enticing though!

Yeah, I'm the same. The early morning trek to find a park remotely close to the venue and line up to get my race pack early Sunday morning doesn't fill me with excitement.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well that was fun!

Got there nice and early and scored a park right out the front. Got my race pack, went back and sat in the car and hung out. Rolled up to the start line at about 0545 and rolled out with the first group. Managed to stick with a bit of a bunch until the bottom of Springbrook and it was the last time I saw someone until the rest stop. I had no intention of killing myself on the climbs so I just dropped into easy gear and rode 70.3 power until I hit the top. Had some fun on the descent and solo'd it until I hit the turn around out near Natural Bridge. Found a wheel and we swapped turns until Hinze Dam and we got passed by 2 others. Short little pace line until just before the bottom of Beechmont and then I was solo again. Just held a nice and steady pace up Beechmont and enjoyed the views. Got to the top of Beechmont and hated every single one of the rolling hills out to the rest stop, but coming back was alright. The last 20km was literally all downhill and I covered the first 15km of that 20km in 23 minutes. The last 5km were just rolling back to Nerang in the traffic.

Really enjoyed doing something different and the scenery was amazing. Will definitely head back that way at some point. There was heaps of traffic on the roads, but we all seemed to be given heaps of room and everyone was pretty good about it. I got buzzed at one point on Beechmont but it was L plate driver so I didn't mind too much. Still had a few feet of room. It would have been much more enjoyable if it was cooler, but the COVID reschedule took that out of their control. 

Photos: 

Stravas: https://www.strava.com/activities/4178634212

• Like 5