Strength and conditioning/injury prevention

What have you found are must do routines and exercises for injury prevention and sport longevity? Stretching, ice baths, strength and conditioning, compression boots and socks, diet?

7 minutes ago, more said:

What have you found are must do routines and exercises for injury prevention and sport longevity? Stretching, ice baths, strength and conditioning, compression boots and socks, diet?

I saw a physio early in the year who put me on to a core and hip strengthening program, which l should have done years ago

Regular massage, foam rolling and stretching is pretty important too 

• Like 1

Bit late for me, but I now try to do an hour of yoga at least twice, usually thrice a week.  More if I have the time.  Should have done it years ago.  It's as much for mental health as it is for any strength, stretching and conditioning.  

16 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I saw a physio early in the year who put me on to a core and hip strengthening program, which l should have done years ago

Regular massage, foam rolling and stretching is pretty important too 

1 minute ago, goughy said:

Bit late for me, but I now try to do an hour of yoga at least twice, usually thrice a week.  More if I have the time.  Should have done it years ago.  It's as much for mental health as it is for any strength, stretching and conditioning.  

Any links/explanations to what these look like?

Had to forgo the manbun and get my daughter to do the braids.  Came out all cockeyed when I tried it!! :)

She's got bigger muscles than me :(

I actually hacked it off in frustration at work earlier in the year.  My hairdresser nearly killed me for that!  It's on it's way back, though taking a while......

Edited by goughy

Injury prevention. It’s different for everyone. Find what works for you and believe in it. I use weights, stretching and physio bands. I’ve tried yoga, Pilates, tai chi, massages and foam rollers. They were good for injury recovery for me. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, goughy said:

Started with yoga at the beginning of the year. Try to do 30-45 minutes most mornings, especially now working from home the last 6 months. Should have focused on stretching a lot more than I did!

In the process of converting the small studio in the backyard into a gym so I can incorporate strength work into my week. More for general health and well-being than specific sports goal having had the odometer tick over Hawaii Five O this year.

On 26/09/2020 at 09:50, goughy said:

I can't believe no ones picked up on my use of the word "thrice"........

The younguns on here probably thought it was a typo and us oldies couldn’t give a flying f&*k! Lol

• Haha 2
On 25/09/2020 at 09:19, more said:

My 2c from a sports physio pov and having spent some time with some exercise physiology PhDs:

stretching - probably less important than most think

ice baths - probably detrimental or at best unhelpful in a 'normal' weekly training environment. Save it for post races.

S&C - proportionally more important as you get older esp. after 35 y/o. 

compression - maybe maybe helps a small amount, probably best used in recovery rather than during exercise

diet - same as per S&C, i.e. more important as time goes on.

• Like 1

S&C - Deadlifts, Belgian Squats, Kettle Bell Swings, Bosu Balance Ball, Crab walks with band, wall squats with ball behind back have been very helpful for me.

Diet - massive reduction in bread & pasta (gluten) & veges, big increase in meat & eggs & seafood = less inflammation all over.

• Like 2

Stretching is the bomb - I think of the major leg muscles and tendons as a big chain, that is only as strong as its weakest link.  Thus glute stretches, hammys calves, plantar, quads, adductors etc - all connected. But, as I have discovered through painful experience, only stretch them a measured, limited amount - better to stretch too little than too much - overstretch at your peril!!

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Stretching is the bomb - I think of the major leg muscles and tendons as a big chain, that is only as strong as its weakest link.  Thus glute stretches, hammys calves, plantar, quads, adductors etc - all connected. But, as I have discovered through painful experience, only stretch them a measured, limited amount - better to stretch too little than too much - overstretch at your peril!!

So stretching improves a muscles strength?  Tendons don't like stretching they like load.  

Pretty sure strength is imperative to everything working in the chain well.  

Edited by Fitness Buddy
  • Thanks 1

I have started back seeing a strength and conditioning coach again back in May. 

Feeling stronger, my posture has improved and I'm progressing up the weights. My balance and core stability and flexibility has really improved. 

I enjoy doing something different once a week. 

Anyway my question is: 

My PT session is an hour on Thursday night, Would I be suffering delayed fatigue from this session on Sunday mornings. 

I have increased the weights the last couple of weeks (Kettlebell swings, turkish get ups & one legged dead lifts)

I have raced the last two weeks in a row & on the flats I'm holding on & setting the pace. Hit the hills and my legs are dead. 

I'll talk to my PT this Thursday but thought I would ask the brains trust. 

1 hour ago, Fitness Buddy said:

So stretching improves a muscles strength?  Tendons don't like stretching they like load.  

Pretty sure strength is imperative to everything working in the chain well.  

Yeah it kinda doesnt' make sense like that, I like to strengthen muscle with weights and or hard efforts but I find i tighten up and if I don't stretch the chain I can get pretty sore pretty quick. Having said that i think I have got more injuries from stretching than I have saved due to overdoing it

21 hours ago, PeterW said:

Yeah it kinda doesnt' make sense like that, I like to strengthen muscle with weights and or hard efforts but I find i tighten up and if I don't stretch the chain I can get pretty sore pretty quick. Having said that i think I have got more injuries from stretching than I have saved due to overdoing it

Sounds like you dont have an understanding of progressive overload.  You just overload.  

Even just being consistent with some basic strength work will result in change at a musculoskeletal and neurological manner 

Too many just dont have a plan and treat it is just an extra activity.  Also they dont do exercises based on their anatomy, current skill and strength levels and injury background they follow generic workouts, or something from youtube or instagram. 

• Thanks 1

Most triathletes will have visited a physio at some point.  Most likely you will have been given rehab exercises to treat the injury.

These rehab exercises are design to strengthen a weakness you have.  I'd suggest you use these exercises as a basis of your Strength and Conditioning routine.

Over time, you will probably end up with a decent list.