It's true, you cant buy class.

So the lovely, young, well to do boys at Shore school have shown their class with their end of school "to do" list. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-23/sydney-shore-school-threatens-expulsion-for-muck-up-challenges/12691756?fbclid=IwAR3aUkHVhc9-miW-GigXyFf2VCQGudyqQ0dhaUNzO17-zWr73c8WUyfFMsA

Its on the back of the the sickening attack from some Barker boys a few months back

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/courts-law/stabbing-victim-didnt-know-his-attackers/news-story/9cbea7ba50ea8c25468266fea06e1bdc

What on earth is going on when these well educated kids at $30k a year schools think they have the right to do this sort of stuff. 

Bodes well for the future if these are to be our future "captains of industry" 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I went to a low class public high school. 

Principal cautioned us that "shenanigans would not be tolerated". 

He had most students respect as a leader, and no shenanigans occurred

Kind of says something when the highest risk reward was flying to Melbourne.... 😳

"The document listed more than 150 challenges for students, of which the most coveted, worth 10,000 points, was flying to Melbourne." 

There was always loads of Shore boys on the bus I used to catch to Miller St from Narrabeen.  There were definitely  two types back then, the quiet/polite and then the group that were overly entitled. Same kids, every day and when in the new year when a new intake would hop on board, you still had the same types.

One morning there was a lady on the bus, a semi regular passenger and she used to talk to herself a bit, not loudly and she never bothered anyone.  She was always well dressed and obviously had some kind of corporate job in Nth Sydney.

One particular day she started crying and was very upset about something and the Shore boys started piling into her.  I used to sit next to a mate I surfed with (who worked at Billy Blue), we got up and I told the boys to sit down and shut up, then asked the lady if there was anything I could do. 

My mate got hold of the driver, he stopped and threatened to throw the kids off the bus and was met with a barrage of 'do you know who we are' type comments, to which the driver said ' All I know is that you are the kids who will be walking to school'. 

Everyone shut up!

• Like 5

Other than the "fly to melbourne", I couldn't see reference to any other challenges.

I'm guessing the Melbourne challenge could have been 'tongue in cheek'.  Difficult to tell without seeing any of the others. Unlike the press to beat something up.

15 minutes ago, Rob said:

Other than the "fly to melbourne", I couldn't see reference to any other challenges.

Maybe they were going to meet up with the "quality chaps" of a so called top Melbourne private school, St Kevin's -:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-25/st-kevins-sexist-chant-repeated-in-public/11638614

St Kevin's disgraceful behaviour appears to extend all the way to the top -: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-17/st-kevins-college-supported-sex-offender-over-student-victim/11957510

26 minutes ago, Rob said:

The ones I saw could easily be labelled as cruel, nasty, stupid or illegal.  

So not worth giving any further coverage to

3 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

The ones I saw could easily be labelled as cruel, nasty, stupid or illegal.  

I feared that might have been the case, but was hoping it wasn't.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I'm guessing the Melbourne challenge could have been 'tongue in cheek'.  Difficult to tell without seeing any of the others. Unlike the press to beat something up.

The challenges listed on the document included “snort a line of cocaine”, “rip a cone on the Harbour Bridge”, “break into Taronga Zoo”, “spit on a homeless man” and “poo on a train”.

The list also suggests students can gain points by hitting strangers in the genitals when they walk past.

“Catch a pigeon and rip its head off” will gain a student 100 points.

Several challenges denigrate women.

Students were challenged to have sex with a woman over 80kg and to hook up with a woman “deemed three out of 10 or lower”.

It also urges students to kiss a girl under the age of 15, which would be sexual assault.

classy stuff huh?

• Sad 3
Guest Jim Shortz
9 hours ago, Flanman said:

We didn’t wait until finishing school, we did it from year 8. BTW, I went to a catholic school at Lakemba. 

FM

Yeah. 

Yrs 8-10 I was a delinquent. 

Took it "seriously" in VCE 

"Seriously" as in my old man tore me a new arsehole about it so I settled down out of respect. 

2 hours ago, Jim Shortz said:

"Seriously" as in my old man tore me a new arsehole about it so I settled down out of respect. 

Probably the opposite here, where the parents will tear (or sue) the teachers a new one if Little Johhny was to dare be disciplined. 

• Like 1
Guest Jim Shortz
19 minutes ago, roxii said:

Probably the opposite here, where the parents will tear (or sue) the teachers a new one if Little Johhny was to dare be disciplined. 

Sad. 

Actually it's worse than sad, that doesn't bode well for society in general for the future 

42 minutes ago, Peter said:

How insane is that schools gym? Fark me.  Its better Than the Virgin gym I go too and its awesome  

And the Federal Government continues to fund these very wealthy schools who don’t pay tax with our taxes.

As has been stated, not all the kids are like this nor is it just a private/religious school or public school problem but the parents also have to take some responsibility instilling some respect into their kids.

35 minutes ago, fiftyplus said:

And the Federal Government continues to fund these very wealthy schools who don’t pay tax with our taxes.

And why shouldn't they get govt funding the same as every other school. Isn't every child of equal status when it comes to the right of getting an education.  Private schools get (or should only get) the same Government funding as state schools.  The fact that they're "wealthy" is because the parents are prepared to spend a shedload and old-students continue to support the school financially.    

• Like 1

I remember when my son was in grade 8, a friend of his was getting bullied by two twin grade 12 girls.  He hoped online and told one of them to go to hell with her bitch sister.  He got a months suspension for that, and we were told it was supposed to be 2 months, but the girls were renowned bullies who were on suspension themselves at the time, so they took it light on him.  This is state school of course!

Not interested in getting into an argument over it, but while I agree all schools should get done govt funding, I don't think private schools should get anywhere near the amount they do.  In my perfect world, no kid should be at any disadvantage when it comes to schooling!  They all need the same chance and opportunities.  Ok, out of my dream state now and bank to the real world.  My shrink told me the big private boys school up here has done umpteen different studies on all sorts of areas to help the kids.  She said they've determined boys do better in cooler temps, so the classrooms are set at 18°.  My daughter runs their afterschool care now and said the amount of work the preppies have to do is insane.

9 minutes ago, goughy said:

I remember when my son was in grade 8, a friend of his was getting bullied by two twin grade 12 girls.  He hoped online and told one of them to go to hell with her bitch sister.  He got a months suspension for that, and we were told it was supposed to be 2 months, but the girls were renowned bullies who were on suspension themselves at the time, so they took it light on him.  This is state school of course!

Not interested in getting into an argument over it, but while I agree all schools should get done govt funding, I don't think private schools should get anywhere near the amount they do.  In my perfect world, no kid should be at any disadvantage when it comes to schooling!  They all need the same chance and opportunities.  Ok, out of my dream state now and bank to the real world.  My shrink told me the big private boys school up here has done umpteen different studies on all sorts of areas to help the kids.  She said they've determined boys do better in cooler temps, so the classrooms are set at 18°.  My daughter runs their afterschool care now and said the amount of work the preppies have to do is insane.

There are limits to this type of thinking though mate. Take for example the Asian community-it is quite typical for Asian families to sacrifice next to every thing they have to pay for their kids to go to a 'good' school to provide them with the best education and opportunities possible.

If they are prepared to put in this sacrifice for the sake of their kids future then why shouldn't they benefit from the best that is on offer.

The alternative is communism where everyone gets the same no matter how hard you work or sacrifice.

32 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

This might surprise you.

How are schools funded in Australia

Not remotely.  I am extremely familiar with that site and info.  The dreamer in me still stands by what I said.  The realist in me wants the dreamer to wake up.

As I said, it's the dreamer in me that believes every child, regardless of situation and circumstance should be afforded exactly the same opportunities and experiences.

I know it's a dream.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

And why shouldn't they get govt funding the same as every other school. Isn't every child of equal status when it comes to the right of getting an education.  Private schools get (or should only get) the same Government funding as state schools.  The fact that they're "wealthy" is because the parents are prepared to spend a shedload and old-students continue to support the school financially.    

I’m not saying they shouldn’t get government funding (they don’t get funding in the UK) but it’s the inequality of the funding.

My understanding is the Federal Government funds private schools but allocates money/budget to the States and Territories to fund State/Public schools.

Unfortunately, the States/Territories redirect that that money onto other projects (like a new sports stadium in NSW) and the schools miss out.

I just think it’s wrong that the Church of England and Catholic schools get as much funding as they do when they don’t pay taxes and they could well afford to fund themselves.

• Like 1

I'm not a big private school fan as I went to one and hated it. 

One of our daughters went private and it probably boosted her ATAR by 5-10 points over the other daughter who went to a Catholic school (which is classed as Independent, but is really much like a public high school.  She had to do at least 1 unit of religion for HSC though and topped the year with a Band 6 result which was hilarious coming from a family of complete heathens 😈).

But private schools out here don't seem to be rolling in gravy like Shore etc.  I know a business manager of one and they have the arse out of their pants (not just due to drought, Covid etc - even in good years they just get by).  The other two here also struggle, one only surviving because a very wealthy individual bought most of it and keeps chucking in a million here & there to keep it afloat.  The other gets huge donations from wealthy benefactors which builds new facilities (e.g. a $10M donation!). 

7 hours ago, roxii said:

...and true to form, the school has "dealt with it" by hiring a PR firm to protect its image.   

The kid that leaked it to the press will probably get suspended or expelled for embarrassing the school and not keeping it in house. 

meanwhile the boys that were involved will get told their naughty, finish their HSC and off to Sydney uni they go. 

Edited by Peter
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, more said:

Take for example the Asian community-it is quite typical for Asian families to sacrifice next to every thing they have to pay for their kids to go to a 'good' school to provide them with the best education and opportunities possible.

If they are prepared to put in this sacrifice for the sake of their kids future then why shouldn't they benefit from the best that is on offer.

Little One has an effin big shock coming then. 😆  (actually, the reason we stay in v expensive Winchester, is because the state schools here are outstanding)

Back to the topic, the sad thing is if any one these kids did get into grief, the old boy/lawyer network would kick in and ensure they are completed protected from any real world consequences.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, FatPom said:

Back to the topic, the sad thing is if any one these kids did get into grief, the old boy/lawyer network would kick in and ensure they are completed protected from any real world consequences.

Yup, one big reason my brother sent his son to an exclusive Sydney private school is the old boy network.

Regarding the list of challenges, having been to a private school, they would not have been entirely expecting any kid to actually do those things, but the dare was there for one of them to become a legend in his own lunchbox and actually do one.....which one of them may have been tempted to do.

6 hours ago, roxii said:

Seems the young “ladies” at Pymble ladies college didn’t want to miss out on the action either.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8774435/amp/Pymble-Ladies-College-students-miss-final-exams-muck-challenge-leaked.html

Makes me wonder if any of the PLC 'ladies' are siblings of the Shore boys!

As MrFlower pointed out I went to Shore. I have been reading a lot of Old Boy Forums etc and there are a lot of furious old boys. 
It would appear that the list is very similar or the same that has been going around a heap of schools. So essentially is just a list, however - For me, I was particularly angry about the ‘spitting on a homeless person’ comment and I would be equally furious if one of my kids was involved in anything like this. 

At these schools there are families who are absolutely loaded with multiple generations having attended...And Then there are those whose parents bust there arse to send them there for whatever the reason. Note: I chose to send mine (boy and girl) elsewhere.

Regarding facilities - they are the bees knees. I would suggest the big/major private schools have better facilities than the AIS. Knox Grammar’s pool alone was a bit over $20m from what I hear and that was about 8 years ago (it’s very nice). Shores gym/pool complex etc etc etc has a budget of approx $70m from what I have am told and have read. But the funny thing is the majority comes from Fundraising campaigns and old boy donations/bequests etc. It’s a massive business in all private schools.

Are these kids elitist/entitled - Yes/Most likely, but not all - My view is it comes down to the parents attitude and not the school. The school can set rules/guidelines etc but it’s the parents who mould a child from an early age and so the mindset is instilled way before school. The same goes for manners - this comes from home - that I can assure you! 

One of the big problems we have in society today everyone knows where they sit on the ladder of wealth as money/wealth is more prominent and for some easier to come by. Unfortunately today with social media and competitIon in society kids today are totally aware of there (or there parents) standing on the wealth scale - something I don’t think kids of 20-30 years ago were aware of. 

So...... can you buy class - definitely not! You are taught it at home. And there lies the problem for many - not just the private school folks. 

• Like 3
On 24/09/2020 at 22:38, Bored@work said:

Big red bus? 

Exactly. Big red bus drops you at Southern Cross station or drops you at the fron5 door terminal 2 at Tulsa. It even has free wifi onboard so the young dickhead could upload his pics and points claim for all his buddies and the cops to see. 

Do you reckon that maybe the list was a joke and the creators of it were doing a pisstake? - Making a fictitious list of outrageous things that were never meant to be taken seriously?  Did any of them actually do spit on a homeless person or drop a bundle on a train?  Teenagers love to talk about gross, politically incorrect things, Happy to be proved wrong, but I reckon this is a capital B beat-up!

To be honest if not for the recent acts of the Barker boys I linked above I might have agreed it was a gee up. 

But then the little angels from MSAM College obviously took it seriously 

https://7news.com.au/news/nsw/monte-sant-angelo-mercy-college-students-film-themselves-in-muck-up-day-antics-c-1347631 

• Like 1

Yeah, you're probably right As the father of teenage boys, you hope and pray that they don't fall in with the wrong crowd and do stoopid sh1t until they are old enough to know better.  I've been pretty lucky so far but I do look out for it pretty closely!

On 24/09/2020 at 9:01 AM, ComfortablyNumb said:

Comfortably numb, us Floyd fans just know, don’t we. There’s a Floyd song for every crazy situation. 

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, Greyman said:

Comfortably numb, us Floyd fans just know, don’t we. There’s a Floyd song for every crazy situation. 

I reckon theres a Simpsons quote for every situation.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, -- AJ -- said:

I reckon theres a Simpsons quote for every situation.

My favourites are:

" Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand"

“Marge, look at me! We’ve been separated for a day and I’m as dirty as a Frenchman"