Pet food, what do you use?

Just thought it would be interesting to see what sort of food you lot feed your pets?  This sort of topic can get pretty fiery on some Facebook groups.

Up until our current pup, we used the usual Pal (now called Pedigree) tinned and dry food, and whiskers for our cats.  And just fed them whatever amount.  Plus at times some of our leftovers.

This time around I researched it more, and am using a premium dry food for them all, and the cats get a little bit of tinned every second night and we've added a raw food product to our dogs diet too, every second night.  Plus we feed our dog based on her weight, rather than just tipping some out.  The cats have one of those continual feed bowls so the graze.  The dog is fed at night.  The thing that convinced me to change was the cost.  While it's expensive to buy, following the feeding guides meant Bambi (border collie) would only cost $2 a day to feed.  Same for the two days.  I just thought regardless of right budget or not, surely we could spend $14/week on our dogs food, and the same for the two cats.

The big change though was never giving any of them any of our scraps and never allowed to eat off or plates or get tidbits from us while we're eating.  We really notice the difference when we have other families does over, and any time we're in the kitchen or preparing for their dogs are all around our feet, and when we're eating they're right there bugging us.  Whereas Bambi not or cats bother us at all.  

Cats currently get Blackhawks biscuits plus share a sachet of Felix tinned for every second night.  Bambi is on Ivory Coat dry food but am changing to Meals for Mutts next time, and some Big Dog raw food every second night.

Our dog gets dry food, bones and trainig treats!

She is not allowed in the kitchen and eats her dinner outside while we have our dinner. The main reason for this was when we got her from the RSPCA as a 7month old (now 11 months) she had no boundaries whatsever and we ended up with 25kg's of dog on the table! So we started putting her outside with her food in Kong's and she actually loves it! 

My dogs have never been fed while humans are eating. Even camping, they may get chop bones as scraps but only separately after.  This means they never hang around when you are cooking or eating, as they never have that association. 

I had a flatmate once whose dog used to like his plate clean at the end.  Consequently the dog would stare at you cooking and eating, and drooling everywhere. 

I feed my new pup Blackhawk puppy, as he is growing superfast and needs good nutrition. 

The older two get CopRice Family Dog.

All are kelpies. Well, all are meant to be.   The pup surely has something else in him, the oldest has some border collie.   The middle guy is pure kelpie. 

Mine get a biscuit when I leave and come home - so thats the positive association.  Training is just pats. 

Our staffies get raw meat from the freezer at PetO (either Dr B's BARF or Big Dog) mixed with a bit of Hills science kibble.  They are a bit spoiled though.... 

Our dog trainer warned us off Purina Supercoat, she reckons it's garbage and Dr Harry should be ashamed of himself for endorsing it

There was an issue with supercoat a little while ago.

My in-laws dog is fed whatever is the cheapest from Aldi, plus scraps and stuff.  We look after him when they go away and if I grab a biscuit he plonks right in front of me staring at me and drooling.  Can't cook without him tripping me over constantly.  And he doesn't eat his dog food when here.  So we end up giving him our dogs stuff.  Last time we told Rob's dad that he said "just fed him his own stuff, don't give him anything else, he'll eat when he's hungry".  He went 5 days without eating last time!

I reckon he knows ours are on a good wicket.

We feed our cat's Dr B' BARF - kangaroo, and they get kibble in the morning.

We were very strict with them as kittens- if they came near us when we were at the table eating, we yelled and stomped our feet.  They never bug us at the table.  However about 1 hour before dinner time the staring commences. Sometimes from 30cm away 🤣

The big dog next door just eats bits off the little dog next door. 

During the day, they have a vicious barney about every half hour. Poor things are cooped up in a tiny yard & never walked, out in the freezing cold winters.  I offered to walk them a few years ago, but no dice.

Bloody cruel.

The cat we inherited from our daughter 🙄 likes Aldi canned food best (esp. seafood) and the Aldi hard nibble things.  She'll eat other brands, but only under sufferance 🙄.

My dog gets biscuits & some premium mince things. Plus she gets left overs. We often cook extra bacon or meat with our meal for her.

She also loves peanut butter pretzels.

She’s currently sound asleep at my feet in our bed.

I know I spoil her but she’s my best buddy & I don’t care.

• Like 1

Samie The Cat gets some Hills Science anti hairball pellets/kibble type stuff which is available on demand, a broth in the morning which when she has finished the dog gets. Often she starts wanting this about 5am and comes and sits on me in bed and purr's. Most afternoon's i give here some twinnikie type treat when i go out to where her bed is in the garage (safe from the dog). Apparently she is overweight!

Fergus who is 11 months old Airedale dog, is not big on food, so we are still trying to fine a pellet he likes. He also gets meat paddies that are possum (yes pest here in NZ, thanks for introducing them), chicken, hare, mixed with dry food. He also gets some human food at end of meal.

He seems to like fish the most, so the training treats that i have found most successful are dried fish.

Prescription diet dry food for dental maintenance in the morning, controlled serve, from an automatic feeder and a small tin each of 'special tins' or 'super tins' at night. Special and super refers to the relative expense of the tiny tins. 

They also lick plates/bowls and 'help' in the kitchen while I am cooking. This consists primarily of supervising and hoping something falls on the floor.

Two of the three will shamelessly steal any food, cooked, raw, frozen if left unattended in the kitchen. The third prefers to lick plastic bags and wrappers cause he's a weirdo.

One was the runt of the litter and has been highly food motivated her whole life. The other fat one I don't know her history as I got her as an adult, but she is also a big fan. The bloke just eats till he's had enough at the time so misses out on being able to go back for a top-up and is as a result pretty skinny. The girls are a bit chunkier. We could never have a grazing bowl as the girls would just eat and vomit and go back and eat some more.

There was a time I was fostering cats and was also really broke and had to buy really, really cheap food. Tamu, the Maine Coon who recently died, ended up with infected cat acne on her chin due to an allergic reaction to the cheap stuff. What started as a money saving exercise ended up an expensive vet bill, so lesson learned.

• Like 2

Our dog was one of the family and lived his life as such. Morning and afternoon walks/bushwalks every day, lived inside and slept on the bed. Breakfast and dinner was a choice of chicken/steak/mince plus veggies. There was always a side of dry pet food, as well. He was super fit, happy, and relaxed.

On 22/09/2020 at 7:49 PM, BogFrog said:

However about 1 hour before dinner time the staring commences. Sometimes from 30cm away 🤣

Only staring?? Anywhere from about 2pm we cop the meowing. This makes for interesting meetings, actually my interview was at 3pm, but a good ice breaker with the potential bosses, where I got introduced to the project managers french bulldog as he was asking for food too. My little guy is asleep now, so adorable. 

Hills Science Diet Dental kibble, and he seems to like the Purr brand of sachets from coles, he gets those fussy cat meat pouches as well, as well as a little bit of BBQ chicken if we are having. 

Our pooch gets whatever is on special. :lol: 

He gets plenty of exercise so for a mini schnauzer he is solid but not overweight. Crowie once heckled me, saying I was wearing the poor bugger out he saw me walking him that much when i was recovering from my hip op.

They are not supposed to get too much fatty foods so if he gets any scraps they are only the good bits or when I trim the weird bits off the chicken breast before I cook dinner. He sleeps wherever he likes, just not in our bed while we are in it anyway. When he is home alone its a different story and there always seems to be a dog sized mark in the doona when we get home. 

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Our pooch gets whatever is on special. :lol: 

He gets plenty of exercise so for a mini schnauzer he is solid but not overweight. Crowie once heckled me, saying I was wearing the poor bugger out he saw me walking him that much when i was recovering from my hip op.

They are not supposed to get too much fatty foods so if he gets any scraps they are only the good bits or when I trim the weird bits off the chicken breast before I cook dinner. He sleeps wherever he likes, just not in our bed while we are in it anyway. When he is home alone its a different story and there always seems to be a dog sized mark in the doona when we get home. 

I'm confused, we talking about you or the dog?

1 minute ago, Bored@work said:

Yeah, it's not true. My dog has hair, can run and sits when told. 

I dunno, mine eats too much, lays around a lot and doesn't like people :lol: